Tir Eoghain v Dún na nGall - NFL Roinn 1 Babhta 3 - Dé Domhnaigh 3rd Márta 2pm

Started by ziggysego, February 13, 2013, 05:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 01, 2013, 09:45:12 AM
Where does Ciaran McGinley play? Is he any good?

Am glad McAliskey has got another chance as I think he's a big strong lad well able to win his own ball and is one new lad who seems to have taken his chance well. I'd say he'll improve with the more games he gets. He could be well marked this weekend though or soon learn you don't get much time on the ball v Donegal.

I'm probably being harsh but to me Petey and Matt Donnelly have underperformed now for a good few matches. You know they've got the talent but they seem to struggle and only show glimpses of what they're capable of.

I just hope that we don't end up with somebody getting another long term injury. I think if we've any chance of going far this year we need big Sean & the McMahons to stay fit for the whole year.

Mattie Donnelly hasn't really shone, doesn't score enough.  Peter Harte had a brilliant league and Inter-provinical campaign at the start of last year, but it doesn't seem to be happening for him in the big games.  He has talent and speed to burn, but it seems that nobody is sure where to play him.  IMO, wing half forward is not the place for someone like Harte as he is a player you want on the ball as much as possible.  Haven't seen much of McAliskey or McCurry, are they similar players and who would look the better prospect?  I would give Johnny Lafferty a run out at wing forward for a few games as he is unusual in that he is big yet athletic and quick, can win his own ball and create openings as well as take a score.  Hopefully Coney and O'Neill don't take too long to get back to their best.  Strange to see Justin McMahon in corner back, wouldn't have though that number 2 or 4 would suit a man of his size, and in a way he is wasted in there.  Obviously I would want him to get a run in the midfield, as would most, but Mickey Harte must have reservations for whatever reason as he doesn't seem to be keen to put him there.  I wouldn't be surprised to see Conan Grugan make a big impact if he gets a chance around the middle at some stage during the league.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

God14

Id imagine that Harte has deployed both Justy McMahon & Conor Clarke in the full back line to combat the aerial presence of Michael Murphy & Colm McFadden (who is available again)

Fuzzman

I'd be worried for how well Clarke & Justy can handle those two though I suppose there will be at least 3 sweepers.  ;D

trileacman

Quote from: God14 on March 01, 2013, 11:24:22 AM
Id imagine that Harte has deployed both Justy McMahon & Conor Clarke in the full back line to combat the aerial presence of Michael Murphy & Colm McFadden (who is available again)

Bingo, Harte playing horses for courses again. Like the look of that team, fills me with apprehension alright but a least Harte is winging it on the new players, if it works out it could be golden. Donnelly, McAliskey, McKenna, McNamee, Murphy and R. O'Neill are all fresh blood and could be around for years to come.
The alternative is to fall back on Colm, the McMahons, Penrose, McCarron and McConnell. I wouldn't mind sacrificing a few league or McKenna cup matches if it meant we developed a team that could really challenge for Sam in the coming years.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

BluestackBoy

First post from a newbie so be gentle with me ;D ;D ;D

Really looking forward to this one with Donegal playing with a full deck bar Karl Lacey.  What is evident from the first two games is that Donegal have a number of key players who need to be firing for success. The dip in finishing options when McFadden went off against Kildare was worrying & young McBrearty seems not to be advancing in the way I would like to see a young player advance.
As against that the lift Neil Gallagher gave Donegal in the middle was huge when he came on against Down.

If Donegal get all the key players firing I would fancy them but any shortcomings will be ruthlessly punished by a fit, hungry & talented Tyrone team who have all sorts of options on the bench.

For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

orangeman

Quote from: BluestackBoy on March 01, 2013, 04:12:31 PM
First post from a newbie so be gentle with me ;D ;D ;D

Really looking forward to this one with Donegal playing with a full deck bar Karl Lacey.  What is evident from the first two games is that Donegal have a number of key players who need to be firing for success. The dip in finishing options when McFadden went off against Kildare was worrying & young McBrearty seems not to be advancing in the way I would like to see a young player advance.
As against that the lift Neil Gallagher gave Donegal in the middle was huge when he came on against Down.

If Donegal get all the key players firing I would fancy them but any shortcomings will be ruthlessly punished by a fit, hungry & talented Tyrone team who have all sorts of options on the bench.

Be gentle after describing Mc Brearty like that ?.

BluestackBoy

He has all the talent in the world but needs more end product.
I was at the Down match in Ballybofey & he couldn't get to the pace of the game at all & was taken off early in the second half.
David Walsh is a ready made replacement but I would like to see Patrick really nail his place in the starting line up with a big game on Sunday.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

orangeman

Quote from: BluestackBoy on March 01, 2013, 04:22:03 PM
I was at the Down match in Ballybofey & he couldn't get to the pace of the game at all & was taken off early in the second half.
David Walsh is a ready made replacement but I would like to see Patrick really nail his place in the starting line up with a big game on Sunday.

Donegal have some side if he's not sure of his place.

tyroneman

cadence

Quote from: BluestackBoy on March 01, 2013, 04:22:03 PM

kind of agree with you about mcbrearty and not at the same time. takes time to develop into the finished article. he's buckets of talent, but for me, he just tries to force it a wee bit at times. he's only trying his best and is pushing what he can do at times, so you can't fault him for ambition, just over ambition. i wouldn't say he's unwise in taking the shots he does, because that's for him to learn how to make those decisions, and i wouldn't want him to change his game at all, because you'd only be getting him to go against his instincts, which is attacking and going hard for his scores. he grafts really hard for the team too. just needs to calm down maybe. maybe think about playing others in a wee bit and that might give him more wriggle room to shoot if defenders are thinking about more than just closing him down. for me he is well worth his place... but very healthy still to have his place contested by others working hard putting their hands up for what they can offer the team.

Fuzzman

The Trap

if this was a club game in Tyrone there would be 2 or 3 off by now! Everythng is a yellow card!!

cadence

saved! missed by murphy and murphy gets involved in some afters and gets shown the line. neil gallagher booked as well in the same incident.