Rory MacIlroy - Member of the order of the British Empire.

Started by Trout, December 31, 2011, 12:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4father

Quote from: Agent Orange on January 01, 2012, 03:32:49 PM
I am all in favour of a shared future, but it seems that sharing is a one way street in NI.

I think the term "Castle Catholic" is best used to describe the likes or Rory.

He is a castle catholic.  Who cares?  Who really is surprised that Rory McIllroy will accept his MBE?  Let's face it, he was always going to get one. 

Now if he happened to be a catholic born in my side of town, the chances of him playing golf would be extremely limited.  The whole castle catholic thing is a class thing, not a religious thing.

4father

Quote from: armaghniac on January 01, 2012, 03:51:41 PM
Then British Empire is an evil concept and a person of moral principle would not wish to be associated with it, especially a person from a place at the receiving end of the Imperial project. Anyone should thinks there is something wrong with saying that should examine their own 'principles'.

That's true, i agree wholeheartedly.  But what about Niall O Donnghaile presenting the Duke of Edinburgh award in the first place never mind not presenting it to a future murderer sorry solider.

muppet

Then British Empire is an evil concept and a person of moral principle would not wish to be associated with it, especially a person from a place at the receiving end of the Imperial project. Anyone should thinks there is something wrong with saying that should examine their own 'principles'.

The History of the Catholic Church is longer and just as bloody. Does the same apply?
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

The Catholic church is of no relevance. Whatever excesses were committed were generally against Christian principles. Murder, ethnic cleansing etc are entirely in keeping with Imperialism.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

4father

Quote from: muppet on January 01, 2012, 04:00:25 PM

The History of the Catholic Church is longer and just as bloody. Does the same apply?

Yes

muppet

Quote from: armaghniac on January 01, 2012, 04:21:45 PM
The Catholic church is of no relevance. Whatever excesses were committed were generally against Christian principles. Murder, ethnic cleansing etc are entirely in keeping with Imperialism.

Wow. The Brits sure did like their ethnic cleansing, with Cromwell in particular, but your absolution of all the  Church's atrocities as merely being 'generally against Christian principles' is daft. You seem to be thinking of the crusades only.
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: 4father on January 01, 2012, 03:52:04 PM
Now if he happened to be a catholic born in my side of town, the chances of him playing golf would be extremely limited.  The whole castle catholic thing is a class thing, not a religious thing.
In terms of class background, I don't think he was born with a silver spoon in his mouth - both of his parents reportedly worked extra jobs / shifts to get money together for the golf - his mother was a factory worker and his father a barman.

ziggysego

I just want to congratulate everyone here at the gaaboard for taking Trout's bait. Well done.
Testing Accessibility

MW

Seems to be a few people upset that McIlroy's national identity isn't tied up in his religion. A little bit of a regressive attitude that, no?

Maguire01

Quote from: ziggysego on January 01, 2012, 05:00:13 PM
I just want to congratulate everyone here at the gaaboard for taking Trout's bait. Well done.
You enjoying 2011 ziggy?

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ziggysego

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 01, 2012, 05:04:10 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on January 01, 2012, 05:00:13 PM
You enjoying 2011 ziggy?

It's a bit samey
Testing Accessibility

Orior

What exactly did Rory do to deserve an MBE?

Why is his efforts more deserving than Darren?

Anyway, if Rory wants to bend the knee to Mrs Windsor and lick her arse then fair play to him. However there is no law against the rest of us giving our opinion.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Gabriel_Hurl

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Orior on January 01, 2012, 05:26:55 PM
What exactly did Rory do to deserve an MBE?

Why is his efforts more deserving than Darren?

Anyway, if Rory wants to bend the knee to Mrs Windsor and lick her arse then fair play to him. However there is no law against the rest of us giving our opinion.
Luke Donald got nowt. Clarke seems to be on one long party and I don't think he'll make top 10 again in a major - time for O'Neill to stop backing him.