Rory MacIlroy - Member of the order of the British Empire.

Started by Trout, December 31, 2011, 12:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: armaghniac on January 05, 2012, 08:47:07 PM
I am not upset. My contribution was that a principled person would not have accepted this award. I am perfectly aware that many people are amoral and I do not get upset about each and every one of these.
You'll be rewarded in Heaven. If it exists.

muppet

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 05, 2012, 08:47:59 PM
I am not upset. My contribution was that a principled person would not have accepted this award. I am perfectly aware that many people are amoral and I do not get upset about each and every one of these.
You'll be rewarded in Heaven. If it exists.

Only in principle.
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

I'll only be rewarded in heaven if I am principled, not for pointing out my view of others on Internet boards.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

My contribution was that a principled person would not have accepted this award.
Principles, as with morals, are subjective.

armaghniac

Some principles are fairly widely accepted. Do you accept that it is wrong to use violence to subjugate people living in other countries? And if you see nothing wrong with this then what do you have by way of principles?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: armaghniac on January 05, 2012, 09:39:56 PM
Some principles are fairly widely accepted. Do you accept that it is wrong to use violence to subjugate people living in other countries? And if you see nothing wrong with this then what do you have by way of principles?
We'll let you hash it out with Liz when you're offered an OBE.

stephenite

So those that do not live up to your principles are amoral?

That doesn't make you sound like a w**ker at all

mylestheslasher

I know I would not accept any award from the British queen but I do have some sympathy for MacIlroys position. He's a sports man and plays his game in open areas where fans can get close to him. I'm sure his family live in relatively low security in Down too. There are dangerous nutters in the North that might just decide you turning something like an OBE or MBE down is a reason to start posting you bullets or maybe call to your next round of golf. I imagine that is the primary reason why people like MacIlroy try not to take positions or rock the boat. I mean to bring these types of nuts into your life you need to feel very strongly about something, one way or the other. Maybe Rory just doesn't. The whole notion of these awards is bollix imo but I don't condemn MacIlroy for taking the award. I just hope he flushed it down the toilet when he got home!

armaghniac

I don't think QE 2 will offer me an MBE. Tony MacEntee or Oisin must be in with a shout if Cross' win another AI.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mylestheslasher on January 05, 2012, 10:25:12 PM
I know I would not accept any award from the British queen but I do have some sympathy for MacIlroys position. He's a sports man and plays his game in open areas where fans can get close to him. I'm sure his family live in relatively low security in Down too. There are dangerous nutters in the North that might just decide you turning something like an OBE or MBE down is a reason to start posting you bullets or maybe call to your next round of golf. I imagine that is the primary reason why people like MacIlroy try not to take positions or rock the boat. I mean to bring these types of nuts into your life you need to feel very strongly about something, one way or the other. Maybe Rory just doesn't. The whole notion of these awards is bollix imo but I don't condemn MacIlroy for taking the award. I just hope he flushed it down the toilet when he got home!
Come off it. I'd say he was delighted to be awarded it - he said he was humbled. If you accepted it begrudgingly you'd say cheers and ensure a tournament clashes with the ceremony. The red tops would have crucified him if he refused it. Professionally he had no option.

onefaircounty

Congrats to mcIlroy, another great achievement for the lad. Wouldn't accept one myself but fair play to him, a credit to Northern Ireland.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on January 05, 2012, 11:55:00 PM
Personally such awards IMO are outdated these days and more of an "establishment" sop which has been expanded a bit more to include unknown heros. But anyway it doesn't matter to me if McIlroy accepts it or not, it's not going to affect me or how my live goes, his golfing performances are of more interest to myself as entertainment. It seems that Rory has learned quickly not to bother giving a f**k about fruitloops who try to pigeon-hole him as one of "them". And fair play to him, he doesn't give a shit about the opinions of people he doesn't know and he shouldn't have to. I remember Eddie Irvine having similar problems.

I also wonder how many giving off about Rory McIlroy are Man Utd followers who always address the boss as "Sir Alex"?
Doesn't he realise after 22 years of living here that you can't be "other". You're either "us" or "them". Accept no substitutes.

mylestheslasher

Tony Baloney