Started by orangeman, July 24, 2011, 06:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: ross4life on August 03, 2011, 06:37:41 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 03, 2011, 06:02:13 PM
Quote from: oakleafgael on August 03, 2011, 03:48:39 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 03, 2011, 05:04:51 AM
Quote from: gethimaf on August 03, 2011, 12:37:46 AM
People being slightly disrespectful to tyrone. Dublin will have to play the best football they've played in two years of championship if they are to overturn tyrone. Some of tyrones personell changes have worked well.
Best 15
                                   Packie
             swift               mcmahon         gormley

O'neill             ricey                 jordan

Hub Cavanagh
         harte                mcguigan          another
         Penrose            Donnelly           Mugsy

Surely you mean Tyrone will have to put in their best performance since 2008 to beat Dublin??

Dublin have went back from last year when they met a Tyrone team who should have beat them handily enough. If Tyrone repeat last years performance with only a slight improvement on their forward display they will win.

I agree we're shite and we know it.

Tyrone have beaten all of longford, armagh and roscommon.

As they say that's the form of champions.

We're just going up to provide the colour and cheer on Aslan.

At least Tyrone comfortably beat those teams above unlike Dublin in there games v Kildare & Wexford & IMO Longford,Roscommon are about the same level as Wexford.

Donegal found it far tougher against Kildare than Dublin did and than they did against Tyrone...

snippets

Seriously fogra  what time is aslan on at .  Would love to see them

this bus aint gonna drive itself.

ziggysego

I think I recognise the guy getting his chest waxed.
Testing Accessibility

heffo

Dublin camp being very quiet about the team - I normally hear it well before it's announced but nothing this time aside from rumours of Cahill starting at CHF.

Don't even think we should bother turning up listening to all the non-Tyrone nordies.

robertemmet

EC Unique

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 04, 2011, 12:31:20 AM
INDIANA, you might be talking a lot of sense there, but given your track record where a Tyrone barrelling through the Qualifiers (2008 Quarters) have met a static Dublin:

Quote from: INDIANA on August 04, 2008, 04:10:54 PM
this is the same mugsy who hasn't started a game all season? We're quaking in our boots.Mugsy isn't in the 2005 form and he isn't likely to be in 2 weeks.he was terrific in 2005 but injuries ahve ruined his season and its difficult to see him taking us to the cleaners. O neilll was always the one anyway, an absolute genius who tyrone have never replaced. I always felt O Neill was one of the best forwards of the last 20 years.
Brogan is a top 6 forward in the country, tyrone have no-one currently in that bracket. I'd love to see Tyrone try and rough up Shane Ryan, he'd take great pleasure putting one of them into row x. the man is a force of nature.
Jayo ironically at 33 is better now than he was at 19. strange but thats the way some people develop.

Quote from: INDIANA on August 04, 2008, 09:02:06 PM
the difference in 2005 was o neill, you were better than us. it hadn't much to do with puffing out chests and the rest of the bullshit that tyrone fans crow on about (that and the fact the've only won 2 all-irelands, thats right 2). you had  stevie O neill, in my view the best forward of the last decade, canavan a living legend , mc guigan the best centre forward in the game at the time and a flying mulligan. We did remarkably well with a vastly inferior team to bring you to a replay because you were vastly superior to us.
in 2008 you aren't superior to us, you have maybe one forward at the moment who would make the dublin forward line. and i f we get 5 points up early in the second half this time round, you can pack your bags because you haven't the scoring power to reel us back in. Tyrone can beat dublin but only if its a tight ,dour low scoring game. because if its anything else, we will win.

So forgive me a degree of scepticism on you pre-match pronouncements!  ;)

Thanks Fear. That made me laugh this morning. ;D

Rois

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 04, 2011, 03:16:43 AM
Quote from: ross4life on August 03, 2011, 06:37:41 PM

At least Tyrone comfortably beat those teams above unlike Dublin in there games v Kildare & Wexford & IMO Longford,Roscommon are about the same level as Wexford.

Donegal found it far tougher against Kildare than Dublin did and than they did against Tyrone...
Is this really the level of debate this has come down to?  Who beat what team better?  Donegal beat Tyrone easily but found it tough against Kildare who lost to Dublin, ergo this should logically be easy for Dublin?  Hmmmm....

But I agree with Indiana - neither team will fear the other.  Which makes for a very interesting game of football in prospect!

screenexile

Well Barry Cahill starting at CHF should give you an idea that your team isn't as good as some of ye are making out . . . him and Cullen are defenders yet both will be starting in the HF line!!

HF is where your creativity comes from yet these 2 are not creative players. Tyrone will more than likely be playing Brian McGuigan and Peter Harte in their Half Forward Line. . . I think that illustrates the point I am trying to make.

EC Unique

Quote from: screenexile on August 04, 2011, 09:43:41 AM
Well Barry Cahill starting at CHF should give you an idea that your team isn't as good as some of ye are making out . . . him and Cullen are defenders yet both will be starting in the HF line!!

HF is where your creativity comes from yet these 2 are not creative players. Tyrone will more than likely be playing Brian McGuigan and Peter Harte in their Half Forward Line. . . I think that illustrates the point I am trying to make.

Does it mean Dublin are going ultra defensive and are going to play loads of men behind the ball?

screenexile

Quote from: EC Unique on August 04, 2011, 10:11:51 AM

Does it mean Dublin are going ultra defensive and are going to play loads of men behind the ball?

I was alluding more to this myth that Dublin have these great players when really they only have 2 decent forwards in their team. Like everyone else who comes up against a better team of course they will retreat and try to hit Tyrone on the counter. I don't think it will work for them.

DUBSFORSAM1

Cullen/Cahill are both very good footballers who are well able to win ball, carry ball and pass the ball and Cullen has spent more time in the forwards than in defence and anyway it's not where they are named that counts but where and how they play....David Henry and Brian Cullen were both in the forwards last year and we still scored 1-15...
The biggest battle of the game will be the breaking ball and that is why they are ideally suited there

sheamy

I would take that as a given. The only way Dublin can win is to do what they did last year i.e. hang in there hoping to frustrate Tyrone whilst trying to leave the space for the brogans to operate in. Then if it's still tight in last ten it's anybody's game and one event can make the different like the lucky bounce off the post for O'Gara's goal.

I also think Kevin McMenamin is a decent forward although a strong runner more than anything else. Tyrone have more good footballers so it will come down to whether Tyrone can take their chances this time. If it opens up into a free flowing game it could be interesting although I'd only foresee one winner in that situation. Dublin need to keep it very tight.

Hound

Of the 6 Leinster winners medals Cullen has, he's won 3 as a half back and 3 as a half forward. But he hasnt played in the backs since 2008. He's versatile, but I think most have come to accept he's most useful in the forwards. He's played half forward for his club in championship this year too.

I like the idea of Cahill at 11, and I think we'll get our tactics right on Saturday. But I'm sure Mickey Harte will have plenty up his sleeve too.

McManamon will be kept in reserve. With all the talk of the Brogans I'm hopeful Connolly, Flynn and Cullen will step up to the plate and contribute to our scoring.

INDIANA

Quote from: screenexile on August 04, 2011, 10:14:55 AM

I was alluding more to this myth that Dublin have these great players when really they only have 2 decent forwards in their team. Like everyone else who comes up against a better team of course they will retreat and try to hit Tyrone on the counter. I don't think it will work for them.

Most of the tyrone forward line is still unproven. Tyrone will still need all of Mulligan, O Neill and Dooher to win this game at the wkend. So no change there

Zulu

I think Dublin will win this one. Undoubtedly Tyrone are still capable of beating the best but I think many of the Tyrone players are past their very best and some of the younger ones are a year or two away form reaching theirs. Dublin are now pretty much at thier peak, though they have some great young players coming through, but this squad is not going to get much better. They'll seek to stiffle Sean Cav at midfield and if they do that then they'll win IMO. I think a few Tyrone players may look their age this Saturday. Looking forward to it and I expect it to be a cracking match.