Dublin v Tyrone quarter final 6.8.11 SFC 2011

Started by orangeman, July 24, 2011, 06:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: INDIANA on August 08, 2011, 04:30:09 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 08, 2011, 02:25:23 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 08, 2011, 01:56:16 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 08, 2011, 12:11:11 PM
Enjoyable night in Croker Sat night, I was hoping for a tight intense game so was disappointed in that respect but you had to hold up your hands to Dublin, they were superb. They gave an exhibition at times and I think they have one more gear to slip up if they want.

I wouldn't be so quick to write off this Tyrone team, sure they need younger legs but only Dooher and Jordan will definitely retire. 5 months off to recuperate from the hurt and tragedy will hopefully get that hunger back because it wasn't really there this year. Something about them was bugging me in the first half and I realised just before half time what it was, they were waiting for the aul lads to come on in the second half and win it for them, a la the Roscommon game. Their game plan must have been to be as close to Dublin at ht and it clearly didn't work. Castigating them for not using a sweeper is wide of the mark. They were pushing up man for man when in possession to try and work through the blanket and when disposed, a man would scurry back to act as a sweeper. The quick ball in by Dublin caught them out though, I lost count of the number of high cross field balls they sent in first time. They were quality balls too, which invariably found their man. Special mention to MacCauley, for a man who is probably noted for poor kicking he delivered some outstanding balls and it's worth noting from that stat site that of the 6 kick passes he attempted, the 6 of them found their target.

Another man I would single out would be the one I'd expressed concern about beforehand, Ger Brennan. Thought he did an excellent job on Brian McGuigan, with the result that he was taken off at half time. The key to this Dublin victory was the management though, they've done an outstanding job IMO. They've really changed the mentality in this pack and they're a disciplined unit. It says a lot when they can manage to turn Bastick from a headcase into a peacemaker  :D Some of the point taking took your breath away, Connollys out on the wing a case in point.

The Tyrone kick outs didn't help their cause, they were on the back foot all day and not having someone to win primary possession really killed their chances. People have said how little they saw of Mugsy but Tyrone never looked to get the ball in to him and Fitzsimon was the man to attack, he had to drift out to get on the ball and then they had no threat inside. Donnelly also looked to have the beating of O'Carroll when he ran at him, which I'd be concerned about if I was Gilroy, but again didn't get enough ball.

I was surprised to see some of the team in Flannerys later on but I suppose its three weeks to the semi final and one night letting off steam probably won't do any harm, spare a thought for Mark Vaughan though. Can't wait for their battle with Donegal now, they're after showing their hand though with the quick long ball, will be interesting to see if they can replicate that and what Donegal do to counter. I'll safely say they won't be pushing up man for man though when in possession  :D

Harte has outwitted everyone tactically over the years. Saturday was the one time he got it wrong Croi.

They didnt employ a sweeper. I'd a great view of the game. I still cant understand why they didnt.

I'm of the opinion the likes of Bernard and Alan Brogan with quality ball kicked in , with the open spaces of CP are literally unmarkable.

You have to play a sweeper against them.

With all Harte has achieved he's entitled to a night off the same as everyone. Tyrone have struggled at u21 since he left. It seems Tyrone need him everywhere.

I was at the game Indy and watched the recording yesterday morning so had a great view myself. They tried to use a sweeper except their game plan simply didn't work. When Dublin got possession a Tyronie immediately turned on his heels and retreated back in front of Brogan and Connolly. The reason it didn't work is that the ball was sent in over the retreating sweepers head, therefore not giving him time to get back in position. It was also quality ball heavily favoured towards the attacker. I fully expect Donegal to leave a least one full time sweeper in front of the two lads so it'll be interesting to see how they fare against that.

The first rule of playing a sweeper is that he doesn't wait for the opposition to get the ball to be in position. Tyrone pioneered it. I've a dozen recordings of them doing it circa 2033-2008. If I get the ball in the half back line and I see someone standing in front of the "go" to men up front. I may have to check back and recycle the ball for someone else to kick in. By the time I do this the space is clogged when the next man gets the ball.

Thats why Dublin need to spend 3 weeks kicking points from 40 yards in preparation for Donegal. Its the one way to beat Donegal.

In my view Tyrone underestimated Dublin. And probably overestimated themselves going into it. You cant replace some of the players they had either. Once in a lifetime players some of them. Their forward line is their biggest problem. SON on one leg will still be their best forward next year.

I know how a sweeper works but thanks for explaining it anyways. Tyrone tried to employ a variation of it and it simply didn't work. Partly due, I suspect, to the Dubs expecting the full time version to be stationed in front and their game plan was to kick ball over him and the marking defender to the go to men. Will it work against Donegal though now that they are expecting it will be interesting to see.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

cadhlancian

Quote from: sheamy on August 08, 2011, 09:09:24 AM
Quote from: tyroneman on August 08, 2011, 07:21:15 AM
I see Sean Cav in the Indo says of the Dubs "thier system of play was far superior to ours"

Is this a veiled call for MH to change tactics going forward?

Maybe Sean wants back to full forward.

To be honest I couldn't believe my eyes. Going man for man on the Dublin full forward line was suicide. Not sure what the Tyrone management were thinking. I had fully expected Tyrone to win this but leaving themselves open at the back from the very start cost the game which was over after 20 mins. It was like role reversal from 2008 in reverse only worse. Dublin playing a smart system of play and Tyrone utterly naive. Never thought I'd see the day. Not often I agree with 'voice of the intercounty player' Sean but he is definately correct there.
see my post on the previous page Sheamy...........but they say it wasnt time ::)

heffo

Quote from: Jinxy on August 07, 2011, 01:52:15 PM
I very much doubt they still do the early morning sessions.

Dublin were back in DCU for a 6.30am session Tuesday morning.

furboot