Previous topic - Next topic

slow corner back

Quote from: Glensman on August 06, 2008, 11:00:55 AM
St Pauls
Gort Na Mona
Shane O'Neills
Cloney

That would be my prediction.
I would go for a Cloney win overall if they are on top form. Some achievment for them if they won Junior and Intermediate within 3 years.

On one level it actually highlights:
(1) the gaps between the senior clubs (and 4/5 of them at that) and the rest; and
(2) how with a bit of organisation, structures and hard work a club can go from junior hurling (and not setting the world on fire down there) to being at the top of the next rung of the ladder.

Should Cloney continue I see them as threatening the Ballycastles, St Johns, Rossas of this world and the Ards teams.

Clooney won well against us last night. Only for a fortuitous goal we got in the first half it would not have lasted as  long as it did as a contest. Clooney will be close enough to winning the IHC although I would make Gort Na Mona favourites. Clooneys finishing is still a little lax although they create space well and have a good gameplan.
As for the gap between teams in senior and intermediate please bear in mind that two weeks ago Armoy ran Rossa to a point in Belfast and were leading by 4 points with 5 minutes to go. Personally I believe that while Dunloy and Loughgiel are better than most teams in the county on a consistent basis championships are won on attitude and belief and this is where Cushendall and to a lesser extent Rossa score well. If more clubs went out really beieving they could win the senior championship then the competition would be a lot more open.

youngfella

Great pictures mate,

The thing i never get about hurlers fighting, why do they throw of the helmet and get rid of the stick. Surely it'd best to step back and give the fella a good lick with stick. As for throwing of the helmet thats daft itd be best to kept your head protected.
I'm not a dirty fella so i dont understand the mentallity of this at all.
Pull hard and early

Tony Baloney

QuoteSurely it'd best to step back and give the fella a good lick with stick.

You might find yourself in a wee bit of trouble for that!

johnneycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 07, 2008, 10:27:43 AM
QuoteSurely it'd best to step back and give the fella a good lick with stick.

You might find yourself in a wee bit of trouble for that!

Not if you know a few bylaws, eh Tony!

Tony Baloney

You referring to the hero in my avatar?  ;)

It certainly helps to be a county star with a big match coming up.

johnneycool

Quote from: hardstation on August 06, 2008, 07:10:58 PM
30 seconds into the match.....

Great aul craic.

Is that the veteran Jim Close No11?

It certainly looks like his tanned legs

youngfella

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 07, 2008, 12:52:48 PM
You referring to the hero in my avatar?  ;)

It certainly helps to be a county star with a big match coming up.

face of antrim life. But if you throw a punch at a fella are you not off stright away, so you may as well go off for a good reason!

AS for throwing of the helmet this still wrecks my head as to why boys do it.
Pull hard and early

Glensman

Suppose the helmet throwing is the same as rolling up the sleeves (as the sleeves are normally rolled up, except if the player is wearing one of those skin tight undergarmets and then rolling up the sleeves would be tough).
Its a signal of intent.

You are clearly taking the p1ss(or I hope you are) when say about giving the fella a good lick with the stick.
Striking with the stick is one of the worst crimes in any sport...you have a stick to play with and should feel privilged to be doing so. A hurling stick should be treated with respect. if you're a fighter lay the stick down and go for it.

I also hate jabbing with the stick. That should be a yellow card offence straight away. If you can't stick the shoulder in a man without jabbing the stick you should burn your hurl.
Interested to see what others think of jabbing (am I using the correct term).

Thee most stupid thing I have seen is two men with a helmet squaring up head to head and then one of them headbutting...what is the sense in that?!

milltown row

Jabbing as you put it is part and parcel of the game, sizing ones oposite number up.

being slightly under six foot and at 11 stone ;) it's difficult to shoulder your marker. i myself try and stay away from it altogether. i dont mind hard hurling, getting slapped and the rest is part of the game. what i dont like is the aggresive mouthing before a tackle has even come in. usualy from the younger ones wound up by the manager

davincicode

M Row i think you are fibbing to me, i have since had it confirmed it was you who ref the Jonnies v Sars the other evening, and i believe that the same sort of thing went on, come on, come clean, we want to know!!!!!! Are you going into this ref role full time, would,nt mind heading to one of your games!!!!

theskull1

As long as it's not overly aggressive, then jabbing IS part of the game. "Jabbing" with real intended force in an attempt to break ribs is scummy behaviour and should be met with even more intent in response. When the ball's there of course ;)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

youngfella

Quote from: Glensman on August 07, 2008, 02:42:44 PM
You are clearly taking the p1ss(or I hope you are) when say about giving the fella a good lick with the stick.
Striking with the stick is one of the worst crimes in any sport...you have a stick to play with and should feel privilged to be doing so. A hurling stick should be treated with respect. if you're a fighter lay the stick down and go for it.

I also hate jabbing with the stick. That should be a yellow card offence straight away. If you can't stick the shoulder in a man without jabbing the stick you should burn your hurl.
Interested to see what others think of jabbing (am I using the correct term).

Thee most stupid thing I have seen is two men with a helmet squaring up head to head and then one of them headbutting...what is the sense in that?!

I have nothing but respect for hurling, it hurts me to see and hear about fights at johnies game, seems all there interested in. Which is why its interesting to see them start fighting, they clearly have no respect for hurling, their club or themselves, but yet them dont use the hurl. I wonder what stops them?

To comment on the most stupid thing ive seen. In a school next few years ago, two boys were at eachother all match, near the end one fella threw the lid off and punched the other boy (helmet still on) right the guard, breaking his hand! He wasnt the sharpest.

I hate fighting on any level from international rules to boxing and a brawl on a saturday night. I really hate it. Therefore it confuses me when i see fellas having fight and taking of there protective gear.

Glens and MR your both right I have not place in hurling. Dirty jabs and slaps do, Its a skill to do it and not get caught.
Pull hard and early

Glensman

Its a fine line Skull...with intent to break ribs!

I personally dont think it should be part of the game...if the referee sees it it should be yellow. I don't go on the pitch to get struck by a hurl deliberately which that is. It can often do more damage than a strike with the head of the stick. Like MR I dont mind hard hurling, getting slapped and the rest is part of the game, during the game.

Aggressive mouthing should spur you on. If a player is concentrating on getting a good slur/insult in he isn't concentrating on the game.

theskull1

It's a man's game Glens. A bit of niggle when both parties know the boundaries is a way for some of showing they're fired up for the game. Nothing more. It's the boy's who feel for some reason they have to prove their manliness at this point by taking things beyond what would be just niggle is the problem.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

johnneycool

Quote from: theskull1 on August 07, 2008, 04:07:16 PM
As long as it's not overly aggressive, then jabbing IS part of the game. "Jabbing" with real intended force in an attempt to break ribs is scummy behaviour and should be met with even more intent in response. When the ball's there of course ;)

Jez lads jabbing is one thing but its more manly that a lot of other things like pulling low and early under a dropping ball, blocking on the hands or wild pulling in a ruck usually by a hit and run expert not to be seen when it all kicks off. It'd surprise you the number of ref's who don't understand what a bad pull or block is and let it go.