Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

That's an easy one. Dunloy, Cushendall and on rare occassions Rossa have been better than you!

Shamrock

You reckon.......thats what the average supporter wud say...i had you down as an expert Tony....how i was wrong ::)

Arthur_Friend

:D what 'reason' would an advanced supporter give?

Shamrock

thats wot im asking you folk.....im sure my dunloy friends wud giv more reasoned debate on the issue

milltown row

When the chips are down Loughgiel have not managed to beat a good team. Loughgiel in recent years have managed to be in front from the start. They have a great start to most games but manage to lose concentration and allow teams a foot hold in the game. Also another fault is an over reliance of one player, Watson. Quality hurler that he is I think that too much play was going through him in the last few years. A better spread of the scores is needed.

Against us Watson was in the corner and contributed more to the game with his scores and set up play, bring other players into the game. If Loughgiel can find the mental strength that Dunloy have to get over the line, then they might win it this year or the next.

imtommygunn

IMO you are just that wee bit short on depth and leaders.

Watson, Campbell and about maybe four/five others are quality senior players. However , IMO, there are a lot of other players on your team who could easily be interchanged for boys you have who play reserve and that is why your reserves do so well and your seniors don't do as well. You have more hurlers of a certain standard than anyone else - i.e. good enough to make a big impact in reserve and just about cut it at senior level - but less players that cut above the rest than anyone else.

Leaders is also an issue though. Leaders is why you lost two finals to Cushendall IMO. I didn't think you were good enough against Dunloy and you just collapsed against Rossa.

However I think some of your minors will bring that level up although not sure I'd agree with the sooner rather than later comment. Would tend to go vice versa on that.

Shamrock

Fair points lad.......now were getting into some better debate on the issue. I cant argue wit most of your points. So Tommy and Milltown - who will win the championship

milltown row

i've said this in the past and and though i'm not keen on your supporters (as I feel for starters, they put a lot of pressure on ya's to win. And the hackling from them is unreal) but i'd like to see Loughgiel win it, this may not go down well with Dunloy and others but to add a bit of change to the championship.

you may be saying, thats rich coming from a galls man considering his own team has been wining championships for fun at all levels in football. and long may it continue i might add. but when you own club is not involved your looking to new teams wining every other year.

as to who's going to win it? i've a feeling Loughgiel may beat Dunloy by a point and possibly slip up again in the final

imtommygunn

I think the same as Milltown. I've a feeling you'll sneak past Dunloy and could maybe slip up in the final.

I'd like to see you boys win it. Some of your supporters can be hard to listen to and put too much pressure on your players ,I feel, and things like this hurt you guys.

I think it's much more favourable for you to be playing Dunloy in the semi though as I think you'd not beat them in a final with their experience and you boys being nervous.

It's the best chance you'll have in a while, I think, but not sure you can do it. Hope so though.

theskull1

Shamrock

What is you're own personal opinion on the subject you started. Judging by your reply to Tony, you do. Any chance of sharing it
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Shamrock

Dont feel i should be airing my opinions on our club on here. They have failed for a number of reasons. However i personally feel that their time is coming.....we have a team now with alot of experience - johhny, winker, barney, dd, ding, martin all 26+, then a group of lads like skinner, joey, eddie, dim dim who are just around 22, with a few young lads like young dobbin, tony, duck etc giving us a good blend. I also feel our management have learned from last year, and the set-up is as good as we have had. All things added together plus having to play a big team like dunloy in semi - means if we get past them, we will be ready for a final. I personally feel the last 3 years we havent been ready as the doubts are there about whether we can beat a big team . The feis win, this year was a good life believe or not.

Tony Baloney

The Dall are having a bad year by their own high standards and can never be written off. However if you put away Dunloy in the semis, I think this is the Shamrock's best chance in years. The other teams that have won the Championship have had a good blend of youth and experience and a mental toughness to grind out a win in a tight game. Louoghiel have been suspect on the mental toughness front.

The problem with Loughgiel supporters (as already said they are hard to listen to) is they think every year is going to be the breakthrough and demand too much of the players and management. I think this transfers through to some players and they lose the head when things are going tits up. I've said before that Loughgiel supporters, and some players think they are rock hard and haven't learnt that a good, hard player on the pitch is better than a good, dirty player who has got the line

Shamrock

i have to say i agree with you. Hooker came and napper came in as managers last year ane everyone thought they wud be putting dirt into them. But from what i hear, they just want them playing hard tough hurling, but on the ball. Thats where we need to learn from.

theskull1

Well one man's hard hurling is another mans dirty hurling. I'm sure if you asked hooker what type of hurler he was, he would say he was a hard hurler. Others may disagree with his assessment, especially referees  :)

theskull1

Obviously Groundie is tied to the sofa watchin the telly. If he got up to go to the 'puter he'd only trip on the tail between his legs  :D