Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Two Hands FFS

From Cushendall website. www.ruairiog.com

Championship Struggle!

04 August 2008
Ruairí Óg eventually ran out winners in this local championship derby match though it looked like near-neighbours Glenariffe were going to cause a major shock when they led by 1.06 to five points at half time.  However a number of astute changes by management at half time and the introduction of Shane Mc Naughton, Brian Mc Naughton & Neil Mc Manus certainly helped turn things around.  Donal & Shane Mc Naughton scored the two goals with Neil Mc Manus having a hand in both majors. Special mention must go to Ruairí Óg's man of the match Paddy Magill who scored fourteen points in total. The final score read: Ruairí Óg 2.16 V Glenariffe 1.08.  Full report and photos to follow!

Arthur_Friend

".... cause a major shock"  ::)

Shamrock

Quote from: Shamrock on July 30, 2008, 01:55:34 PM
Quote from: themanwhowasntthere on July 30, 2008, 01:06:39 PM
Latest version (part 251) :D :D :D

Antrim SHC - 2008
Team 1 Team 2 Venue Date Time Referee Comment
Loughgiel  St. Galls  Ballycastle 03/08/2008 13:15 Matthews Ray Qtr Final 
St. Johns  Rossa  Casement Park 03/08/2008 14:00 McAuley Liam Qtr Final 
Glenariff  Cushendall  Ballycastle 03/08/2008 15:00 Elliott Owen Qtr Final 
Dunloy  Ballycastle  Loughguile 03/08/2008 18:30 Duffy Garrett Qtr Final

Fair enough outcome, all things considered lads. So then what about the games

1. Us v St Galls - like all previous posters have said, st galls will give us our fill of it. Always do and the big pitch in ballycastle will suit their style. We had a few bad results, ballycastle in particular where we were brutally bad. But last 2 weeks has seen a good improvement and with a few of our injuries clearing up - will have a good side out, though we will still be without ding and prob neilly. Will McGourtys all be playing or is cj still in states. - hopefully win with 5 or 6 to spare

2. Dall v Glenariife - local rivalry etc - Dall seem to have turned a corner. Glenariffe will put it up to them but dall will pull away in last 12/13 minutes to win by 9pts

3. St Johns v Rossa - again locally rivalry. St johns by virtue of playing div 1 all year will pip rossa- who lets be honest are more of a championship side. St Johns to win by 5 with a late goal from McFall making them safe

4. Dunloy v BCastle - to me the best team in county at presentr will brush the town away. Although it wont be like their recent league game - dunloy to win by 14pts, pulling up and playing 5 subs.

Any other opinions???

My predicions wernt far off the mark........

Dall pulling away in last 15mins with glenariffe putting up a fight as they usually do. Mcmanus made a massive difference for them.

Dunloy as predicted won easy - 18pts - my prediction of 15 not bad, and they used 5 subs!!

Got the st johns game right except the late goal went to Rossa!!

Our game went well, played good stuff in first twinty and game was over by half time. MillTown we scored o-9 in second half not 0-7!! Irrelevant really

5 weeks to semi

Rossa v Cushendall
Dunloy v Loughgiel

alot of work required to get team fitter, tactics, stick work etc.

Should make things interesting

milltown row

Shamrock at halftime the score board read, 4-5 to 0-6 then when we came out it was 4-6 to 0-6???? anyway the final score was 4-14 to 1-13 but it was different in the Antrim website. i'll have to look into that >:(

not having Watson as your main player works better for ya's.

MrT

I hear semis pulled forward to the 17th with the minor championship also being delayed from wed night to the 18th.  Another good decision by or oh so brilliant county    ???

monkey

Quote from: MrT on August 04, 2008, 09:21:12 PM
I hear semis pulled forward to the 17th with the minor championship also being delayed from wed night to the 18th.  Another good decision by or oh so brilliant county    ???

Sounds a bit of a mad decision that, if its true.  With teams preparing all year for these big games to suddenly change the dates of the semis by 3 weeks doesnt make sense.
Is there any substance to this rumour?

NAG

After seeing the games at the weekend then,
what are the strenghts and weaknesses of the teams left?

davincicode

Milltown Row, i heard that you have now taken up the Referees whistle, I hear that you you should stick to playing, some boys where very critical of your performance the other evening, i know there are two sides to every story would you care to comment. The man in the middle is never an easy job!!! Just looking for your side of the story/expierance of the new role? Do you plan to stick with it?

aontroim

IHC Result from last night.....

Clooney Gaels 0-16 v 1-6 Armoy

Leaves the 1/4-Finals

A Glenravel v St. Pauls
B Gort na Mona v Tir na nOg
C Sarsfields v Shane O'Neill's
D Clooney Gaels v Cushendun

Semi Finals

C v B
A v D

Glensman

St Pauls
Gort Na Mona
Shane O'Neills
Cloney

That would be my prediction.
I would go for a Cloney win overall if they are on top form. Some achievment for them if they won Junior and Intermediate within 3 years.

On one level it actually highlights:
(1) the gaps between the senior clubs (and 4/5 of them at that) and the rest; and
(2) how with a bit of organisation, structures and hard work a club can go from junior hurling (and not setting the world on fire down there) to being at the top of the next rung of the ladder.

Should Cloney continue I see them as threatening the Ballycastles, St Johns, Rossas of this world and the Ards teams.

milltown row

Quote from: davincicode on August 06, 2008, 06:59:53 AM
Milltown Row, i heard that you have now taken up the Referees whistle, I hear that you you should stick to playing, some boys where very critical of your performance the other evening, i know there are two sides to every story would you care to comment. The man in the middle is never an easy job!!! Just looking for your side of the story/expierance of the new role? Do you plan to stick with it?

think you have me confused with someone else, though hearing about that match, the referee could have sent off a lot more. some wild pulling off the ball, and apparently the crying over decisions from grown men was appalling. knowing the referee i'm sure he was smilling all the way through it.

Referees are meant to see everything and they are the worst if the don't see it the players way, as for referees being biais, it means nothing to the referee in charge who wins loses or draws. without referees games would not be played, end off.

as for me i'm doing juvenile games and having a ball, only done about 7 or 8 games,  took it on as i was asked to try it out, gives you a good perspective on the game. think its made me worse as a player as i'm constantly calling the fouls during a game, and questioning the referee, but i talk now instead of the shouting

davincicode

100% M.R, i think when i pack it all in i might give it a go, not easy though. Getting to games in Dublin with traffic is horendous to say the least, tough call would like to still be involved in the game in some shape or form.

How do find the interpretation of some of the rules ie advantage to accrue? not an easy one at all, its all about the the speed of decision.

Anyway will watch the Blues at the weekend, should,nt be a problem for you.

Shamrock

Quote from: NAG on August 05, 2008, 09:39:59 AM
After seeing the games at the weekend then,
what are the strenghts and weaknesses of the teams left?

We all know the winner will come from dunloy, cushendall and loughgiel. at this stage i think everyone will agree Dunloy are hot favourites, but 5 weeks is a long time in this game, and im sure there will be a few twists between now and then, injuries, suspensions, loss of form etc.

I would love to see us make the breakthrough......were gettin there......but how close only time will tell

Tony Baloney

The problem is Loughgiel have been "getting there" for years now but have never quite reached their destination.

Shamrock

Fair point tony.......but would you not agree it has to happen sooner rather than later.

Tell me this then....why have we not won a championship in 20 years?? Honestly