Sleeping giant

1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on December 03, 2013, 02:57:59 PM
Quote from: hardstation on December 03, 2013, 02:33:53 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 03, 2013, 02:29:06 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on December 03, 2013, 02:22:28 PM
Quote from: jftj on December 03, 2013, 01:21:11 PM
no MR I think ronan donnellys ballycastle won it that year in a surprise result.We,ve only won it once in 30 years before this present teams successes.

jftj,

Are you talking about minor about the time of Jimmy Wilson, John Kelly a Nugent and maybe big long Donal Kennedy although I think he's a year or so younger?

Aye they were minors 1990 (fcuk i feel like a old man)
We couldn't have been that bad then, milltown. We won it in '91.

Dunloy would probably have been on the wane at minor at that time, Ally Elliott and Co would have been one of the top teams the previous year I presume?

We won the Ulster championship at minor that year (89) and for some reason Elliott didn't play for Antrim at the time, think horse might have though.

Was there not a Cushendun/Grahams/Glenariffe amalgamation of some name or other pretty strong around the same time, leading into the strong Cushendun team thereafter?

Ballycastle IIRC had Ronan and Owen Colgan and some wee shit in the corner who could run like hell, may be their manager now  :)

Beat us in 88 Johnney at under 16 Newry or Athletic Grounds, I was doing nets in that game :(
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RefForFee

A-RISE, A- RISE, A -RISE Sir Always Right, bloody marvellous  :D  I can resist everything except temptation  ;D  Some people just don't learn is this life.  Anyway, I wish the Shamrocks all the best on their AI quest, no reason why they cannot extend their success as the only hurling club in Ulster to win AI Senior hurling titles at club level,  on more than one occasion.  Wont be able to make it on Paddy's day should they succeed, away to the Big Apple.  Best of luck to them all the same ;)
"We haven't gone away ya know, well maybe for a little while, but we'll always be back"- just like?

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: RefForFee on December 03, 2013, 06:01:03 PM
A-RISE, A- RISE, A -RISE Sir Always Right, bloody marvellous  :D  I can resist everything except temptation  ;D  Some people just don't learn is this life.  Anyway, I wish the Shamrocks all the best on their AI quest, no reason why they cannot extend their success as the only hurling club in Ulster to win AI Senior hurling titles at club level,  on more than one occasion.  Wont be able to make it on Paddy's day should they succeed, away to the Big Apple.  Best of luck to them all the same ;)

The refereeing expenses cheques have been paid out then?

RefForFee

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on December 03, 2013, 07:38:23 PM
Quote from: RefForFee on December 03, 2013, 06:01:03 PM

The refereeing expenses cheques have been paid out then?
Nah, Antrim Admin so slow to pay out, just carpet bagging it for Xmas, happy days ;) ;D
"We haven't gone away ya know, well maybe for a little while, but we'll always be back"- just like?

manballandall

All for the love of the game

RefForFee

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on December 02, 2013, 11:21:35 PM
Quote from: RefForFee on December 02, 2013, 11:18:39 PM
Feckin place is full of 'Jimmy Magee' wannabees.  Dream on  ::)  By the way, Ding was involved in 2003 and Neilly was a sub and did play.
you got the last bit correct Jimmy.  ;)
I stand corrected SE, though sure that Ding played in that game.  A senior moment, forgive me  :)

jftj

no MR I think ronan donnellys ballycastle won it that year in a surprise result.We,ve only won it once in 30 years before this present teams successes.

jftj,

Are you talking about minor about the time of Jimmy Wilson, John Kelly a Nugent and maybe big long Donal Kennedy although I think he's a year or so younger?
yes johnny,thats the same team.big donal was the same age.We beat lougheil in feile with big roadstone playing and your right he was tough hombre.We then won2 U-16s even managing to beat a dunloy team with horse and ally playing on it.at minor level our new manager decidedto totally re-arrange our team[midf,s playing in cf etc.]and we managed to get beat in a match we were huge favs although b-castle couldnt have been all that bad with 2 class acts like big ronan and colgan.

jftj

That amalgamation team beat us narrowly the year before.Although it was a bit of ajoke as it was a very strong cushendun team[about 7on county panel]who should have been competing on their own.those defeats are still very hurtful.lol

jftj

i think we might have obtained one of your better hurlers then MR-andy fennel

jftj

jftj,

Dunloy would probably have been on the wane at minor at that time, Ally Elliott and Co would have been one of the top teams the previous year I presume?

We won the Ulster championship at minor that year (89) and for some reason Elliott didn't play for Antrim at the time, think horse might have though.

Was there not a Cushendun/Grahams/Glenariffe amalgamation of some name or other pretty strong around the same time, leading into the strong Cushendun team thereafter?

Ballycastle IIRC had Ronan and Owen Colgan and some wee shit in the corner who could run like hell, may be their manager now  :)
now icome to think of it ALLY and DICK  must not have had great success underage.Iknow we beat them u-16 in 87 ,u-21 in 92 and they never won a minor.Pretty sure they went to feile?

Clan Colla

Quote from: Clan Colla on December 02, 2013, 04:58:16 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on December 02, 2013, 01:24:11 PM
Spot on TommyGun!

No there will not be droves of McCooeys travelling to support - some will, and there will be plenty more supporting from an armchair.

The point is - there will be virtually none who will be shamrock-slapping or hoping they are beaten.

In the name of god when is this mindless slobbering about mc cooeys going to cease. They have forgotten they used to call the glens ones the sheoughies (shuckies).  Coming from a glens family and reared in Loughgiel where we had nothing but respect and affection for the hurling families of Belfast. Any one who remembers Seamus Stout Mc Donnell hurling or Seanie Burrns or Sean Collins would have to agree they were probably the best hurlers who ever came out of Antrim.  Further we are entitled to take pride in their families and communities, who stood against the assaults of a NATO army and their murderous allies for 30 plus years and somehow managed to keep some semblance of hurling going. For my part I like to see the mural in Cushendall reminding me of the fact that the people of Cushendall will stand by their traditions. Dunloy are entitled to massive respect for practically saving hurling at a time when Loughgiel and Ballycastle disappeared from the scene. It is true that Loughgiel  have showed the way and when this phase passes this time, it is a virtual certainty that Dunloy, Rossa, Cushendall or Ballycastle et al., will be hot handfuls for any southern opposition in the future. It is clear that the under 21's are heralding a new spirit in Antrim and Cork might find Ballycastle a bit of a Cauldron when they arrive for their National league match. It would be a start if we stopped pouring enfilade fire up our own trenches.

Remember Henry Joy

I have just found about this post and It is a fake. I have a fairly good idea who done it and how they  guessed  my password, which wasn't hard. I am deeply annoyed and do not understand the twisted sense of humour from so called friends, (yes D I know it was you) and therefore I intend to de-register in disgust.

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 03, 2013, 04:30:29 PM

jftj,

Beat us in 88 Johnney at under 16 Newry or Athletic Grounds, I was doing nets in that game :(

That as well MR2, it was in Armagh as I was present myself that day, at the other end of the pitch.  A brutish Roscommon team featuring a giant Colm Kelly beat us in the final.

We won the minor a year later in Clones of all places.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: jftj on December 04, 2013, 03:06:06 AM
i think we might have obtained one of your better hurlers then MR-andy fennel

I don't think it was Andy that yous got, thinking it was his younger brother Doc Fennel, they they all left and played for Clonard when they started up again
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: jftj on December 04, 2013, 05:02:38 AM

jftj,

now icome to think of it ALLY and DICK  must not have had great success underage.Iknow we beat them u-16 in 87 ,u-21 in 92 and they never won a minor.Pretty sure they went to feile?

Yeah Dunloy were at the Feile in 85 in Wexford as they beat us in the semi-final and then ended up getting beat by Birr in the final with a very small Brian Whelehan centre back for Birr.

That was the shape of things to come..