Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleeping giant

He was as hard as they come.  Never normally any dirt.  The other brother wouldn't have to be invited to pull    ;D
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

NAG1

Quote from: Sleeping giant on December 03, 2013, 11:58:10 AM
He was as hard as they come.  Never normally any dirt.  The other brother wouldn't have to be invited to pull    ;D
Quote from: north aontroim gael on December 03, 2013, 11:29:33 AM
Quote from: Sleeping giant on December 03, 2013, 11:08:41 AM
Ballycastle had beat us in glenravel and dunloy the both years previously.   did we play them in glenravel this year or where?   honestly heads lost it. Lol.  That the year we went to a replay against rossa in semi final.  Scully was out of this world against big jim

I think it was Dunloy.  I think Roadstone was sent off for what looked like a double pull (he actually pulled on the ball hence why his red card was reversed) if I remember right.
Quote from: Sleeping giant on December 03, 2013, 11:58:10 AM

Could be totally wrong though, so many matches so many years, they all just merge into one.

Well if you do pull twice, it does increase the chances of you catching the ball even by mistake  ;)

He was as hard as they come.  Never normally any dirt.  The other brother wouldn't have to be invited to pull

Was he not taken off hurt in that Final after attempting a heavy tackle and coming off worse? if memory serves me correct?

Sleeping giant

Lol.  Ha.  It was the dall men invented the move FFS;D
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

theskull1

The word 'pull' originated in Loughgiel did it not? Hence their fondness for its usage over the years.  That's what we were taught anyway growing up  ;)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

jftj

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 02, 2013, 10:14:17 PM
Quote from: Sleeping giant on December 02, 2013, 10:05:02 PM
Ding aswel SIE.  I don't think they were overly successful at under age.  It wasn't dominated for years on end anyway,  the younger of that group. Like Watson barney JC. Won a handful of U21s in a row

Won one of them in the committee room ;)

Yeah it's important to have that good juvenile base, Dunloy, Cushendall and Loughgiel have managed to bring those lads on into senior championship and perform, Ballycastle and the Johnnies have failed of late to turn that underage success into senior championships
too early to call johnnies or ballycastle.Johnnies team that won all the underage titles would be 18 or 19 year olds now.Before that team we won 1 minor title a few years ago.I think you,d have to wait 2-3 years on b-castle and 3-4 years on johnnies before writing them off.A group of talented kids can,t compete with a team like lougheil at present.

jftj

no MR I think ronan donnellys ballycastle won it that year in a surprise result.We,ve only won it once in 30 years before this present teams successes.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: jftj on December 03, 2013, 01:21:11 PM
no MR I think ronan donnellys ballycastle won it that year in a surprise result.We,ve only won it once in 30 years before this present teams successes.

He was a great hurler back in those days, aye that would have been a shock alright we could never get over the line against that Johnnies team, always about 5/6 points better than us, Rossa weren't great fo some reason then, St Pauls decent and Sarsfields would have been stronger than Rossa to
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

jftj,

Are you talking about minor about the time of Jimmy Wilson, John Kelly a Nugent and maybe big long Donal Kennedy although I think he's a year or so younger?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on December 03, 2013, 02:22:28 PM

jftj,

Are you talking about minor about the time of Jimmy Wilson, John Kelly a Nugent and maybe big long Donal Kennedy although I think he's a year or so younger?

Aye they were minors 1990 (fcuk i feel like a old man)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnneycool

Quote from: hardstation on December 03, 2013, 02:33:53 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 03, 2013, 02:29:06 PM

jftj,

We couldn't have been that bad then, milltown. We won it in '91.

Dunloy would probably have been on the wane at minor at that time, Ally Elliott and Co would have been one of the top teams the previous year I presume?

We won the Ulster championship at minor that year (89) and for some reason Elliott didn't play for Antrim at the time, think horse might have though.

Was there not a Cushendun/Grahams/Glenariffe amalgamation of some name or other pretty strong around the same time, leading into the strong Cushendun team thereafter?

Ballycastle IIRC had Ronan and Owen Colgan and some wee shit in the corner who could run like hell, may be their manager now  :)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on December 03, 2013, 02:33:53 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 03, 2013, 02:29:06 PM

jftj,

We couldn't have been that bad then, milltown. We won it in '91.

Honestly it was a bad team, Jim would have been just minor in 91 and that team was decent. They never beat us my year or the two years before that.

imtommygunn

St Pats they were called were they not JC? I think that was about 93 or so?

btdtgtt

There was a St Patrick's team for sure - Glenarriffe and Cushendun maybe. Perhaps played in Ulster/Antrim colours?

And Moycarry Og or something before that?
(apologies on name spelling - hard to keep track of amalgamations in the same way)
Not sure of the colours - maybe blue?

Some Cushendun lads also hurled for the Dall under a sanction I think after that era.
Did they were their own club's socks and shorts - minor?

Apologies for any inaccuracy - so long ago the mind plays tricks!

Milltown Row2

a deftly silence SE, a deftly silence, I wonder  ............... seems to be a couple of yoyo's missing today  :P

Seamroga in exile

Showing your age there boys. I dinny remember any of that.  ;)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"