Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MR99

That's what Im saying a lot of people don't have the same enthusiasm for Tyrone as a few years ago or as you obviously do. Tho that attitude  soon changed when they got to the All Ireland final two years ago. Maybe we've got a bit spolit. Anyway, for me club is the priority and much more enjoyable.
[/quote]

I agree with you FOX, from what I can see the enthusiasm is not the same as it was.  Personally I love going to both club and county matches, but I have noticed that in general the keenest county supporters come from clubs in the lower divisions who maybe do not witness that standard of football week in week out.  Supporters from the division 1 clubs seem to be a bit disillusioned towards Tyrone (more so than before anyway) due to the fact that it is hitting their clubs harder given the way Mickey treats the clubs and THEIR players (Micky seems to think the he owns the players and delights in telling us how he lets HIS players go back to their clubs once in a blue moon to play).  If you are from Dromore or Ardboe for example and go to club games and see them playing minus 5 players and then go to county games and see the same players warming the Tyrone bench then of course you will get disillusiones with county football.  All the same the supporters of these clubs will still cheer on Tyrone anyway. 

The supporters of Dregish, Strabane, Derrytresk etc... will still have the same level of enthusiasm as they always had as their are not affected by this.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: the processor on June 22, 2010, 11:55:28 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 21, 2010, 07:11:28 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on June 21, 2010, 06:39:48 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 21, 2010, 06:27:44 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on June 21, 2010, 05:28:31 PM
Anyone else feel that most GAA folk in Tyrone are more eagerly awaiting the club championship than inter-county. I know I certainly am and many I be chatting to . Maybe it is all the success of Tyrone in recent years there isn't that same appetite for it. Was a time getting to an All Ireland semi-final was such excitement and in 2008 hardly a flag went up till a week before the final. Ulster final last year the players didn't even bother to do a lap of honour.
The treatment of clubs recently also soured a lot of people... any thoughts?

tut tut, typical elitist veiw, so we all have to sit back and triddle our thumbs in order to watch dooher and jordan  and co, tut tut, thats what u think of the clu player, i'd say u don't even have a club, jump on the tyyrone band wagon when its going well!!!!! how amany league games were u at, not many i'd say!!!

There are a lot of negative people about who are never happy including yourself. Judging by the support for early championship games it seems there is still good interest in Tyrone. Nothing wrong with supporting both club and county.

I'm very happy I can assure you. Am just asking do people feel less enthusiasm for inter-county football with all our recent success. It didn't really take off in 2008 till near the final. I went to all their games and was a marked decline in number of Tyrone supporters at Dublin game compared to 2005 agaisnt the Dubs (and the replay) and All Ireland semi weren't a huge amount either. I feel that same attitude now which I think is like the Kerry syndrome... wait for the final.
I am more into club football now but will go to Ulster final as it is a big day out and my children will enjoy it. Thanks for the concern about my hapiness al the same  ;)

Maybe after 35 All Irelands or so like Kerry I'll feel the same. For the minute I still enjoy supporting Tyrone and enjoying are success. Players like Dooher,O'Neill,McGuigan,Jordan etc won't be around for much longer and we should enjoy watching the most successful group of players the county has ever had while it lasts. There could be plenty of years ahead when we're not competing at the top.

I will also enjoy the club championship games and no doubt will take in a few this weekend. Just don't feel the need to talk down Tyrone in order to watch club football like a lot of posters here seem to do.

I've been to all Tyrone games this year and all but one of clubs league games. Every time I go to a club game I don't feel the need to slag of the county in order to say that I enjoy it. Don't understand why some posters feel the need to constantly take digs at Harte and Tyrone. In relation to club games the season will be completed by October/November with all 15 games played and playoffs + championship. A lot of county players will probably play as many competitive games for their clubs this year as county.

Radda bout yeee

This weekend i reckon it'll be

Errigal
Omagh
Ardboe
Carmen

No major surprises i'd say! will the championship q/final draw be made on sunday night then?

rrhf

Strong performance on Saturday after a terrible start.  They will be very hard to beat, having said that theres a number of teams capable of beating Tyrone also.  I admire young Hartes ability to get over the early nightmares to produce a performance as good as he eventually did.  I am also convinced that the Mc Mahon brothers are the best 2 all round Gaelic footballers in Ireland.  Down were class until the pressure came on them.   Surprised how Marty Clarke has struggled to date with Gaelic Football and how poorly Benny Coulter plays under pressure.  I have a felling Down will eventually draw the winners of Donegal and Armagh.  Still a good 3 - hearty 4 players off the top teams.  I have a strong feeling for Monaghan for Ulster this year even yet.     

MR99

I've been to all Tyrone games this year and all but one of clubs league games. Every time I go to a club game I don't feel the need to slag of the county in order to say that I enjoy it. Don't understand why some posters feel the need to constantly take digs at Harte and Tyrone. In relation to club games the season will be completed by October/November with all 15 games played and playoffs + championship. A lot of county players will probably play as many competitive games for their clubs this year as county.
[/quote]
Oh great, finished by November, that would be wonderful ???.  What about the club players having to play a minimum of 3 (or more if replays as in the case of Omagh a few years ago) championship games inside 14 days to complete the championship in time for the Ulster Club, that's just a wonderful scenario isn't it.  And the last 3 rounds of the championship being played in the worst weather of the year, this really makes the club players feel valued!  As you are a Moy man, you seem to take the same attitude as the Moy county men in that you have little regard for club football. 

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: MR99 on June 22, 2010, 01:51:44 PM

Oh great, finished by November, that would be wonderful ???.  What about the club players having to play a minimum of 3 (or more if replays as in the case of Omagh a few years ago) championship games inside 14 days to complete the championship in time for the Ulster Club, that's just a wonderful scenario isn't it.  And the last 3 rounds of the championship being played in the worst weather of the year, this really makes the club players feel valued!  As you are a Moy man, you seem to take the same attitude as the Moy county men in that you have little regard for club football.

Oh yes, he did just go there!!!!!!!!

I await the response to this one, ballsy comment MR99  :D
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

longrunsthefox

I see in Irish News a report says, "It will be anxious weekend for Tyrone manager Mickey Harte who will be hoping to avoid further injury problems during weekend of club championship."
Yet the Ulster final is not to July 18, nearly four weeks.
You never hear it will be an anxious weekend for club managers who have players on the Tyrone team and are needed for a club championship game a week later.

Zapatista

Quote from: longrunsthefox on June 22, 2010, 02:08:04 PM
I see in Irish News a report says, "It will be anxious weekend for Tyrone manager Mickey Harte who will be hoping to avoid further injury problems during weekend of club championship."
Yet the Ulster final is not to July 18, nearly four weeks.
You never hear it will be an anxious weekend for club managers who have players on the Tyrone team and are needed for a club championship game a week later.

funny that's what I picked up on here-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8752477.stm

It's also here -

http://www.examiner.ie/sport/gaa/red-hand-star-oneill-set-for-ulster-decider-despite-foot-injury-worry-123052.html

Redhand Santa

[/quote]

On what grounds do you say they have little regard for club football?  They have played 5 league games this year winning 4 of them and hardly ever miss a game they are allowed to play in. That comment is a load of nonsense. I do agree though that the club season could be better run. Should probably start a few weeks earlier as teams training anyway and should be less breaks before county games.

MR99

Quote from: Redhand Santa on June 22, 2010, 03:10:21 PM

On what grounds do you say they have little regard for club football?  They have played 5 league games this year winning 4 of them and hardly ever miss a game they are allowed to play in. That comment is a load of nonsense. I do agree though that the club season could be better run. Should probably start a few weeks earlier as teams training anyway and should be less breaks before county games.
[/quote]
Definitely agree there should be less breaks between county matches.  Micky continuosly flouts the 13 day rule that is in place insisting on usually 20 days.  Will he let the round of unstarred games go ahead on the 4th July???  Lets see. 

I am not saying they Moy boys dont want to play for their club, but big Sean is the most vocal of players at Tyrone meetings whenever some fringe players ask to get playing for their club in starred games.  He doesn't want the likes of the Ardboe men playing starred games despite having little chance of featuring for Tyrone and is known to be the first Tyrone player to speak up against any such ideas.

goal and a point

I am not saying they Moy boys dont want to play for their club, but big Sean is the most vocal of players at Tyrone meetings whenever some fringe players ask to get playing for their club in starred games.  He doesn't want the likes of the Ardboe men playing starred games despite having little chance of featuring for Tyrone and is known to be the first Tyrone player to speak up against any such ideas.
[/quote]

Was it not Sean who rang mickey in regard to Ronan McNabb

MR99

Quote from: goal and a point on June 22, 2010, 05:44:12 PM

Was it not Sean who rang mickey in regard to Ronan McNabb
[/quote]

I heard that, maybe Sean just wants good things wrote about him in the next book ??? ??? :P :P

Redhand Santa

Sean is only one of four players. I don't know what he says at Tyrone team meetings so can't comment. What I do know is he gives his all when playing for the club.

I see not many including the Times are giving the Moy any chance ahead of Sunday. Think it could be tighter than some expect.

Any craic

kicking king

what do u guys make of Greencastle going to county board to get their result against Pomeroy overturned on the grounds that Pomeroy had an under 16 playin.  Poor form I think.  COuld they receive a bit of Karma over this a la Les Bleus in the Copa Mundial?