Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Under Lights

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 20, 2014, 02:42:18 PM
Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on May 20, 2014, 02:20:43 PM
Personally I thought the County Board should have pulled all the championship fixtures following the county drawn match.  After this weekend a lot of clubs seasons will be over.  A bad start to the league season along with an early championship exit would be the nail in the coffin for many clubs.

sorry, i dont buy this argument.
What about relegation/promotion battles?
trying to win a league title?
While the championship is certainly the main event, i dont think its fair to say that alot of clubs seasons will be over.There is still plenty to play for.

Also hate the whole argument about not playing championship games early as lads will head to America if out of the championship. Chances are they will be heading anyway. Also if your club was in relegation/promotion contention would they be heading?

Christmas Lights

Quote from: The Trap on May 20, 2014, 02:46:51 PM
The county team had 6 months to prepare for last Sunday. They started training in November, played 5 McKenna Cup games and 7 Division One league games.........almost uninterrupted preparation..........yet they didnt have a settled team.....didnt have a gameplan A never mind B.......yet clubs are supposed to do this in days never mind weeks! And they dont have the backroom expertise that the county team has!!!!!!

Whats you suggestion then as opposed to just complaining about it?
I remember 2 years ago we played about 3 league matches in something like 11-12 weeks.  The season run into November.  That is reason to complain.

I will never complain about playing matches.  Personally, I dont think there is anything worse than being a club footballer with no league or championship games in sight, training endlessly and not knowing when your next game is.  We have had to deal with that a lot over the last few years.  Now we have a situation where grown men on here are almost emitting tears because they have to play a match with a week of a county game.  It boggles the mind.  I remember playing a championship match on a Friday night and a league match on a Sunday.  Not a tear was shed.

Roll on next week.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: orangeman on May 20, 2014, 02:54:35 PM
Club players don't pay the bills. County teams make the money for the GAA.

I remember a statement made on here years ago to the effect that the GAA are effectively ruled by 2 things - those who can make the most money for it -county teams, managers /  inter county players and those who contribute most financally to it - sponsors. The rest don't really matter that much, including clubs. Club championships do make a lot of money for individual counties and Tyrone GAA are like any other business, they need cash flow and know that a compressed championship brings in less money than an elongated one. The club championships in most counties throughout Ireland are their bread and butter. So, there are lots of reasons to play a round of the club championships early. It's a pity that clubs who have county players will have less preparation time.

One has to have a degree of sympathy with the CCC who are damned if they do and damned if they don't. If the club seasons run on into November and December it's all the CCC's fault.

There has to be a better solution - and hopefully this solution can be found at national level, sooner rather than later.

The main issue is the elongated county season, leaving no room to play a meaningful club season.
The gaps between intercounty games are too long with 3/4 weeks between each game , leaving the club game disjointed and try to fit in between and around this.
The fixtures issue cant be solved from the bottom up. A better national framework needs sorted out first.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

orangeman

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 20, 2014, 03:06:41 PM
Quote from: orangeman on May 20, 2014, 02:54:35 PM
Club players don't pay the bills. County teams make the money for the GAA.

I remember a statement made on here years ago to the effect that the GAA are effectively ruled by 2 things - those who can make the most money for it -county teams, managers /  inter county players and those who contribute most financally to it - sponsors. The rest don't really matter that much, including clubs. Club championships do make a lot of money for individual counties and Tyrone GAA are like any other business, they need cash flow and know that a compressed championship brings in less money than an elongated one. The club championships in most counties throughout Ireland are their bread and butter. So, there are lots of reasons to play a round of the club championships early. It's a pity that clubs who have county players will have less preparation time.

One has to have a degree of sympathy with the CCC who are damned if they do and damned if they don't. If the club seasons run on into November and December it's all the CCC's fault.

There has to be a better solution - and hopefully this solution can be found at national level, sooner rather than later.

The main issue is the elongated county season, leaving no room to play a meaningful club season.
The gaps between intercounty games are too long with 3/4 weeks between each game , leaving the club game disjointed and try to fit in between and around this.
The fixtures issue cant be solved from the bottom up. A better national framework needs sorted out first.

We can't sort this on our own. It requires joined up thinking.

We shouldn't blame the CCC exclusively for the mess. It's part of a much larger issue. Ok, the CCC don't exactly help themselves on occasion but they're not all of the problem and can't be all of the solution.

The Trap

Christmas Lights - i will tell you my solution but though it would be fair to everyone it would never be allowed to happen:

Players that are good enough to play for a county team can train with the club once a week throughout the club season i.e. train for your club on a Tuesday and county on a Thursday and do strength & conditioning in between.

Have a 6 day rule instead of a 13 day rule therefore allowing more club games and less or no starred games.

This would also give much greater windows of opportunity to play championship matches throughout the summer.

DON'T STOP ALL GAMES if your county is good enough to get to Ulster final, latter stages of All Ireland and keep to 6 Day rule.

DON'T STOP ALL GAMES if your minor or under21 team is good enough to get to Ulster final, latter stages of All Ireland.

You will say "what if one of our star players gets injured playing for the club" and i will say back to you "what if a clubs star player gets injured this weekend and cant play for his club in the championship?" At least if some of the above points were taken on board it would be more of a level playing field and people like me would do less complaining. In fact i would suggest many more club people would get fully behind the various county teams.

blackball

Quote from: The Trap on May 20, 2014, 04:14:49 PM
Christmas Lights - i will tell you my solution but though it would be fair to everyone it would never be allowed to happen:

Players that are good enough to play for a county team can train with the club once a week throughout the club season i.e. train for your club on a Tuesday and county on a Thursday and do strength & conditioning in between.

Have a 6 day rule instead of a 13 day rule therefore allowing more club games and less or no starred games.

This would also give much greater windows of opportunity to play championship matches throughout the summer.

DON'T STOP ALL GAMES if your county is good enough to get to Ulster final, latter stages of All Ireland and keep to 6 Day rule.

DON'T STOP ALL GAMES if your minor or under21 team is good enough to get to Ulster final, latter stages of All Ireland.

You will say "what if one of our star players gets injured playing for the club" and i will say back to you "what if a clubs star player gets injured this weekend and cant play for his club in the championship?" At least if some of the above points were taken on board it would be more of a level playing field and people like me would do less complaining. In fact i would suggest many more club people would get fully behind the various county teams.

County training being cut down to once a week!! Wise up!

orangeman

Quote from: blackball on May 20, 2014, 05:01:48 PM
Quote from: The Trap on May 20, 2014, 04:14:49 PM

County training being cut down to once a week!! Wise up!

Dublin under Pillar were training 3 times a day !!!!  :)

rrhf

Fair play to the county players for speaking out on this.  The club is where the heart is and always will be in the GAA. To get in the way of our very committed county footballers  having the chance of club glory.  Hell hath no fury... 

hugh the root

What was wrong with last years championship? Sweet fanny Adam!Postpone all games to Tyrone exit the championship!Is someone inTCB afraid od clonoe winning it again?

Club Rossa

I hear there's minor league games fixed for Sunday,great to see they're concerned about player burnout ???

Under Lights

Quote from: hugh the root on May 20, 2014, 08:10:55 PM
What was wrong with last years championship? Sweet fanny Adam!Postpone all games to Tyrone exit the championship!Is someone inTCB afraid od clonoe winning it again?

Clonoe posters were on here last year complaining about no time to prepare for Ulster because championship rattled off after Tyrone went out. Still hard to beat playing club championship in spring and summer than playing it in Autum and Winter.

hugh the root

Under lights ; obviously you are not a Clonoe fan.You probably hate Ardboe as well!

Under Lights

Quote from: hugh the root on May 20, 2014, 10:07:19 PM
Under lights ; obviously you are not a Clonoe fan.You probably hate Ardboe as well!

I'm a massive Rahillys fan. I have a number 11 shirt with Doris on the back. He's my fav. Best player outside the county imo. Was a big fan of Ryan T back in the day too.
Just saying that all the Clonoe supporters on here do is complain. Complained last year that championship was unfair as no time for prep for Ulster. Now complaining when champ is early. Never seen any strabane posters, and even seen an article from Danny McBride saying he didn't mind, complaining about them having to play this friday in orginial fixtures. Lot of people suffering from Poor Me Syndrome.

I care not for Ardboe.

EC Unique- a few words on Daisy McDermotts form coming into championship. Mighty reports about him. Was some county minor.

Redhand Santa

I do think it is a bit unfair asking clubs to play in the championship when tyrone played the previous 2 weekends. Hard to build up momentum and teams relying heavily on county players could be in trouble if pick up niggly injuries. Also tough on the county boys who could play 4 big championship games in 5 weeks if tyrone win in terms of managing injuries. I'm sure Harte isn't overly happy with it.

Having said that people on here were waiting for the games to be called off to say that Harte was calling the shots etc and were already saying it was going to happen before Sunday. They'd have complained club teams were preparing for the fixtures for last few months and was unfair to call them off over a small number of players. From that point of view the county board can't win.

EC Unique

Quote from: Under Lights on May 20, 2014, 10:17:04 PM
Quote from: hugh the root on May 20, 2014, 10:07:19 PM

I'm a massive Rahillys fan. I have a number 11 shirt with Doris on the back. He's my fav. Best player outside the county imo. Was a big fan of Ryan T back in the day too.
Just saying that all the Clonoe supporters on here do is complain. Complained last year that championship was unfair as no time for prep for Ulster. Now complaining when champ is early. Never seen any strabane posters, and even seen an article from Danny McBride saying he didn't mind, complaining about them having to play this friday in orginial fixtures. Lot of people suffering from Poor Me Syndrome.

I care not for Ardboe.

EC Unique- a few words on Daisy McDermotts form coming into championship. Mighty reports about him. Was some county minor.

Daisy is flying ;)

I just hope our 3 lads get through Sat night without injury. Errigal's team selection will be interesting next Friday night as it has been different for every match this year. I would doubt if Clonoe are too worried about us after last years hammering.