Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: everymanaman on January 16, 2012, 08:53:25 AM
Quote from: wheres he takin er from on January 16, 2012, 12:11:43 AM
Quote from: everymanaman on January 15, 2012, 10:53:43 PM
Quote from: Radda bout yeee on January 15, 2012, 04:51:03 PM
Kildress have appointed former Derry and Lavey player johnny mcgurk as manager.
First training session will focus heavily on trash talking ;D

Don't think kildress players need any training in that dept lol

Might bring a more cultured tone to the one liners though ;D

Does Johnny like the trash talk then? The last Lavey man we had was a complete culpin so I hope he's not anything like him! lol

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: MCO on January 16, 2012, 11:06:57 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on January 16, 2012, 10:38:07 AM
I don't see how it is the managers fault for wanting the money and getting it, surely the fault is with the club for paying them.  I know most on here wouldn't turn down the money that is being talked about if they got the chance.

I have no argument whatsoever with payments, its just a useful exercise from time to time to give ourselves a bit of a health check in light of our own hypocrisy.
Johnny McGurk would have a 60 mile round journey ahead of him which is a modest trip compared to some managers but nevertheless I wouldn't blame him or anyone else for taking payment for this role. To potentially leave your family on average three nights a week for approximately 4hours a night, spend one or two additional hours a day organising and planning, potentially disrupt or interfere with you own work or career, disrupt your own family and personal life, endure the stress and scrutiny and at times abuse from your adopted club supporters and all this in the pursuit of delivering success at a GAA club that isn't even your own would ask serious questions about a man's sanity.
People who would go after this role without some sort of considerable reimbursement are usually either financially quite well off or are mentally unstable and indeed what you find is that the both can quite often be the case.
I don't see how anybody in the GAA can argue against these payments when we see fit to employ full time staff at all levels of our organisation. eg. a man can be a coach for the Ulster Council, working from 9am to 5pm during the week but is not allowed to work for a club doing practically the same job in the evenings and at the weekend, complete nonsense

Hard to argue with that MCO

However, Ideally a club manager should come from within the club.  I know that there are extra pressures with an in house manager but, a manager should have the club in his heart and want them to win for the community not just to build his own reputation so that the next job he might apply for he can ask for extra cash.  There are managers out there that are 100% thinking about the pound coin when applying for a job and success comes second!  This kind of Manager needs to be stamped out of the game.  The manager that is only in the job to fund his holiday home and has no care for the club or players that he manages

Obviously any person out of pocket should be reimbursed i dont event think the GAA can argue with that.  Clubs are under a lot of pressure to suceed and they have billls for extra equiptment/facilities, player travel e.g. flights for students that decided england as an option for university.  The cost of running a club has sky rocketed!  Fundraising isnt easy either so when there are funds I think there are better ways of spending it than on a manager that may only last 1 year and bring nothing to the club.
Living the dream!!!

sandwiches_in_the_boot

I see the Tyrone Herald have a big interview with Oz in today's paper (bit of an excerpt here http://t.co/0Mxcs9oE). No notion of retiring apparently! Few choice quotes. Also says there's more to come on Thursday on him talking about the league final.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on January 16, 2012, 12:49:03 PM
I see the Tyrone Herald have a big interview with Oz in today's paper (bit of an excerpt here http://t.co/0Mxcs9oE). No notion of retiring apparently! Few choice quotes. Also says there's more to come on Thursday on him talking about the league final.

WTF???????

Oz can talk? :o  ;D

MCO

Quote from: Tyrone Gaa on January 16, 2012, 11:37:42 AM
Quote from: MCO on January 16, 2012, 11:06:57 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on January 16, 2012, 10:38:07 AM
I don't see how it is the managers fault for wanting the money and getting it, surely the fault is with the club for paying them.  I know most on here wouldn't turn down the money that is being talked about if they got the chance.

I have no argument whatsoever with payments, its just a useful exercise from time to time to give ourselves a bit of a health check in light of our own hypocrisy.
Johnny McGurk would have a 60 mile round journey ahead of him which is a modest trip compared to some managers but nevertheless I wouldn't blame him or anyone else for taking payment for this role. To potentially leave your family on average three nights a week for approximately 4hours a night, spend one or two additional hours a day organising and planning, potentially disrupt or interfere with you own work or career, disrupt your own family and personal life, endure the stress and scrutiny and at times abuse from your adopted club supporters and all this in the pursuit of delivering success at a GAA club that isn't even your own would ask serious questions about a man's sanity.
People who would go after this role without some sort of considerable reimbursement are usually either financially quite well off or are mentally unstable and indeed what you find is that the both can quite often be the case.
I don't see how anybody in the GAA can argue against these payments when we see fit to employ full time staff at all levels of our organisation. eg. a man can be a coach for the Ulster Council, working from 9am to 5pm during the week but is not allowed to work for a club doing practically the same job in the evenings and at the weekend, complete nonsense

Hard to argue with that MCO

However, Ideally a club manager should come from within the club.  I know that there are extra pressures with an in house manager but, a manager should have the club in his heart and want them to win for the community not just to build his own reputation so that the next job he might apply for he can ask for extra cash.  There are managers out there that are 100% thinking about the pound coin when applying for a job and success comes second!  This kind of Manager needs to be stamped out of the game.  The manager that is only in the job to fund his holiday home and has no care for the club or players that he manages

Obviously any person out of pocket should be reimbursed i dont event think the GAA can argue with that.  Clubs are under a lot of pressure to suceed and they have billls for extra equiptment/facilities, player travel e.g. flights for students that decided england as an option for university.  The cost of running a club has sky rocketed!  Fundraising isnt easy either so when there are funds I think there are better ways of spending it than on a manager that may only last 1 year and bring nothing to the club.
Who has the right to say where 'ideally' a manager should come from?

It is a worldwide trend and particularly in the sporting arena to look outside you own organisation for expertise, innovation or what ever that might improve your organisation's performance levels. A club will look to outside help for countless things as opposed to utilising its own volunteers so why not do the same with a team manager.

Opting for outside managers has proven success at countless clubs up and down this country, where a good external manager comes in with new ideas and a new mindset. In saying that, the same success can happen with the right internal appointment also and probably indeed more often. Noone has the right to deprive any club player their own bit of success or even additional hope of success if a club deems that going outside is the right thing to do?.

Wee Roddy

Radda behave yourself ;). Actually the big man is a completely different character off the field. You only have to go to the club he bounces in to see who popular he is. He does'nt really say anything wrong imo in the article. He must have lost a fewof him medals judging by that photo ;D ;D

TonesAbĂș

Any sign of provisional youth grades for the year?

The Bog Savage

Quote from: TonesAbĂș on January 16, 2012, 05:48:00 PM
Any sign of provisional youth grades for the year?
club sec have them should have forwarded to youth off by now any requests for change to be in by sun.

Wee Roddy

Seamus McCallan has taken up the reigns of Aghayaran.

everymanaman

Quote from: Wee Roddy on January 17, 2012, 09:40:31 AM

Was he part of the deal that brought Penrose in the opposite direction? ;D

Tommo2

Any word of your own manager yet Roddy?

Wee Roddy

Common knowledge this while. Dom Corrigan

MCO

...all ball drills to focus on maximum usage of the outside of left boot whilst keeping chest out at all times ;D

Knock Yer Mucker In

QuoteCorrigan To Return To Carmen?
With the managerial merry go round well and truly under way once again, there have one or two major appointments to clubs in Tyrone. County minor manager Mickey Donnelly has taken over the reins at Eglish while Seamus Mc Callen of Carrickmore has been announced as manager of Aghyaran for the 2012 season. Meanwhile perhaps the biggest news of all is that it appears former Fermanagh boss Dominic Corrigan has decided to return as manager of Carrickmore. The Enniskillen school teacher enjoyed considerable success in the post before and will be hoping to lead the club to championship glory once again. Corrigan is a hugely experienced and widely travelled coach with an impressive CV of managerial success both in Colleges and Club football.
Two other prominent coaches rumoured to be moving to pastures new are Johnny Mc Bride who managed Galbally last year and Terry Mc Cann who coached the Lisnaskea team that lifted the All Ireland Intermediate title in early 2011. Mc Bride is the new manager at Kildress while the Carrickmore based teacher Mc Cann will be working with North Tyrone club Urney.

source: teamtalk

A couple of things jump out at me, Corrigan back to C'more, and Mc Bride to Kildress, contradictiing some of the posts on here stating that John Mc Gurk was taking up the reigns at Kildress.

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on January 17, 2012, 01:20:45 PM
QuoteCorrigan To Return To Carmen?
With the managerial merry go round well and truly under way once again, there have one or two major appointments to clubs in Tyrone. County minor manager Mickey Donnelly has taken over the reins at Eglish while Seamus Mc Callen of Carrickmore has been announced as manager of Aghyaran for the 2012 season. Meanwhile perhaps the biggest news of all is that it appears former Fermanagh boss Dominic Corrigan has decided to return as manager of Carrickmore. The Enniskillen school teacher enjoyed considerable success in the post before and will be hoping to lead the club to championship glory once again. Corrigan is a hugely experienced and widely travelled coach with an impressive CV of managerial success both in Colleges and Club football.
Two other prominent coaches rumoured to be moving to pastures new are Johnny Mc Bride who managed Galbally last year and Terry Mc Cann who coached the Lisnaskea team that lifted the All Ireland Intermediate title in early 2011. Mc Bride is the new manager at Kildress while the Carrickmore based teacher Mc Cann will be working with North Tyrone club Urney.

source: teamtalk

A couple of things jump out at me, Corrigan back to C'more, and Mc Bride to Kildress, contradictiing some of the posts on here stating that John Mc Gurk was taking up the reigns at Kildress.

Johnny McGurk is the new Kildress manager not McBride!