Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wee Roddy

MCO

County: Tyrone

Re: Tyrone Club Football and Hurling
« Reply #22308 on: January 06, 2012, 04:55:45 PM »   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One one hand we have the Carrickmore club volunteering the move of a large piece of GAA heritage over 100mile up the road for people to sit down in and watch any brawls that may erupt through their execution of our great game and on the other hand we see the club pay out large sums for their employees to manage their adult teams. It's great to see a club with such a diverse perspective of the GAA and its culture and the importance heaped upon the volunteer to the strength of our organisation.

Such a club being what it is it's not a surprise that it seems to dominate the entries on this forum

Written like a true professional. You should take up journalism for a profession my friend ;)

Up The Middle

Something you want to tell us Roddy ::)
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Whats it all about

St. Joseph's College retain the Tyrone under 16 Vocational Title for the second year.  Great performance from both teams and ref made sure it was a good hard but fair game.
Some result for the College

Heartbroken

Eglish appointing Mickey Donnelly as their new manager.

tyronehead

Quote from: Wee Roddy on January 13, 2012, 12:53:03 PM
MCO

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One one hand we have the Carrickmore club volunteering the move of a large piece of GAA heritage over 100mile up the road for people to sit down in and watch any brawls that may erupt through their execution of our great game and on the other hand we see the club pay out large sums for their employees to manage their adult teams. It's great to see a club with such a diverse perspective of the GAA and its culture and the importance heaped upon the volunteer to the strength of our organisation.

Such a club being what it is it's not a surprise that it seems to dominate the entries on this forum

Written like a true professional. You should take up journalism for a profession my friend ;)
A good write up in todays Irish Independent about the mercenary men and clubs breaking rules paying managers.A great piece and one actually worth thinking about the contradictions and hypocrisy so rife in our association .
The place is full of money grabbing managers , media types ,involved in college football all under the pretence of being football mad , don't be fooled these people are only interested in money .There seems to be a glut of them around the Derry border !!

MCO

Quote from: Heartbroken on January 14, 2012, 06:40:44 PM
Eglish appointing Mickey Donnelly as their new manager.

Interesting appointment, him being from their neighbouring club, good to see Eglish identifying the recent increase in fuel costs. Big year for Eglish and as to whether they can progress on from last year when they had a good start but faded somewhat.

Up The Middle

Quote from: tyronehead on January 14, 2012, 09:40:04 PM
MCO

A good write up in todays Irish Independent about the mercenary men and clubs breaking rules paying managers.A great piece and one actually worth thinking about the contradictions and hypocrisy so rife in our association .
The place is full of money grabbing managers , media types ,involved in college football all under the pretence of being football mad , don't be fooled these people are only interested in money .There seems to be a glut of them around the Derry border !!

You have some bee in your bonnet about this glut of managers from round the derry border, this must be the 3rd our 4th time you have posted this.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Radda bout yeee

Kildress have appointed former Derry and Lavey player johnny mcgurk as manager.

The Bog Savage

Quote from: tyronehead on January 14, 2012, 09:40:04 PM
MCO

Sounds like someone nots happy bout not gettin the senior job ::)

everymanaman

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on January 15, 2012, 04:51:03 PM
First training session will focus heavily on trash talking ;D

wheres he takin er from

Quote from: everymanaman on January 15, 2012, 10:53:43 PM

Don't think kildress players need any training in that dept lol
First on the field and last to leave

everymanaman

Quote from: wheres he takin er from on January 16, 2012, 12:11:43 AM
Quote from: everymanaman on January 15, 2012, 10:53:43 PM

Don't think kildress players need any training in that dept lol

Might bring a more cultured tone to the one liners though ;D

LeoMc

Shhhh. Don't tell MCO.

nrico2006

I don't see how it is the managers fault for wanting the money and getting it, surely the fault is with the club for paying them.  I know most on here wouldn't turn down the money that is being talked about if they got the chance.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

MCO

Quote from: nrico2006 on January 16, 2012, 10:38:07 AM
I don't see how it is the managers fault for wanting the money and getting it, surely the fault is with the club for paying them.  I know most on here wouldn't turn down the money that is being talked about if they got the chance.

I have no argument whatsoever with payments, its just a useful exercise from time to time to give ourselves a bit of a health check in light of our own hypocrisy.
Johnny McGurk would have a 60 mile round journey ahead of him which is a modest trip compared to some managers but nevertheless I wouldn't blame him or anyone else for taking payment for this role. To potentially leave your family on average three nights a week for approximately 4hours a night, spend one or two additional hours a day organising and planning, potentially disrupt or interfere with you own work or career, disrupt your own family and personal life, endure the stress and scrutiny and at times abuse from your adopted club supporters and all this in the pursuit of delivering success at a GAA club that isn't even your own would ask serious questions about a man's sanity.
People who would go after this role without some sort of considerable reimbursement are usually either financially quite well off or are mentally unstable and indeed what you find is that the both can quite often be the case.
I don't see how anybody in the GAA can argue against these payments when we see fit to employ full time staff at all levels of our organisation. eg. a man can be a coach for the Ulster Council, working from 9am to 5pm during the week but is not allowed to work for a club doing practically the same job in the evenings and at the weekend, complete nonsense