Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone86

Quote from: orangeman on November 11, 2008, 10:04:41 PM
Out of curiosity, can anyone name me the winners of the league cups for all divisions ??

Clonoe play Carmen in theJim Devlin final
Clann na nGael won the Frank O'Neill
Aghaloo won the McGarrity

tyrone86

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=9820

The clubs are revolting; the proposed fundraiser has apparently been vetoed by the masses. Melodrama isn't my forte but R.I.P. Garvaghy, we hardly knew ye.

under the bar

QuoteThe clubs are revolting; the proposed fundraiser has apparently been vetoed by the masses. Melodrama isn't my forte but R.I.P. Garvaghy, we hardly knew ye.

If you are basing your statement on comments on this discussion board then maybe it is your forté!

orangeman

Quote from: tyrone86 on November 11, 2008, 10:47:36 PM

The clubs are revolting; the proposed fundraiser has apparently been vetoed by the masses. Melodrama isn't my forte but R.I.P. Garvaghy, we hardly knew ye.

Hardly a surprise - given the severe downturn in the economy, people are having to cut back, tighten their belts or whatever else you want to call it - the reality is that clubs see the Garvaghey project as a nice concept but the £7/8 million needed is beyond them at the minute and more importantly the draw is a threat to their own lotto sales.

orangeman

Quote from: tyrone86 on November 11, 2008, 10:39:29 PM
Quote from: orangeman on November 11, 2008, 10:04:41 PM
Out of curiosity, can anyone name me the winners of the league cups for all divisions ??

Clonoe play Carmen in theJim Devlin final
Clann na nGael won the Frank O'Neill
Aghaloo won the McGarrity

Doesn't this say it all ??

under the bar

Just like the foundations of the current Tyrone set-up Garvahey scheme will not be an overnight project.  Yes with the present economic situation it may be delayed, but it will come to fruition eventually and hopefully be one of the the cornerstones of many more successes at AI level when the rest of us are pushing up daisies.

Now will the nay-sayers please feck off to wherever you were between 1995 & 2002. 

We didn't need you in 2003, in 2005, in the marshes in June of this year and don't need you now.

orangeman

Quote from: under the bar on November 12, 2008, 09:35:06 AM
Just like Tyrone the foundations of the current Tyrone set-up Garvahey will not be a quick project.  Yes with the present economic situation it may be delayed, but it will come to fruition eventually and hopefully be one of the the cornerstones of many more successes at AI level when the rest of us are pushing up daisies.

Now will the nay-sayers please f*ck off to wherever you were between 1995 & 2002. 

We didn't need you in 2003, in 2005, in the marshes in June of this year and don't need you now.

You're on a roll this morning Mickey !

on the sideline

My take on the league structures would be to revert back to last years structure with the 4 divisions.  Why?  Last year we started training in February and played our last league game in November.  We played 22 league games and 1 in the championship in that space of time.  All league games were crucial for nearly all teams right up until the end of the league   We were told this year that the season that this year with less games we would be read up earlier.  So we started training in Feb again & so far we've played 13 league games and 2 Championship games, and with two important fixtures remaining and the possibility of playoffs after that there is a possibility of going on until December, or the end of November at the very least.  Effectively we've trained the same length of time to play fewer games.  Over the summer holiday period we played 1 league game- what a joke.  Some of you will point out the League Cup- imo this is a waste of time.  As a player, i want more games not less, and this is certainly something that the old format provided.  As some other posters already mentioned here, some games would have to be starred, but efforts could be made to try and match these games with other teams in the same situation.  Also  as Tyrone 86 pointed out double weekend fixtures would help move the league along and were always something i looked forward to with derby type games on the Friday night.  Retaining the playoffs would ensure competitiveness until the end of the season altough i would tweak them slightly: bottom two relegated&replaced by league winners(whoever is top wins the league outright) & championship winners.  3rd &fourth bottom playoff, winner is safe loser plays winner of playoff from lower division (2nd v 3rd).  The championship in Tyrone should remain as it is in my opinion, ie straight knockout- thats what the Championship is all about.  I dint want another season where i play 1 game during the summer, and lets face it Tyrone are going to continue to be successful, so this situation looks likely to be repeated if we stick with the current format.

billy the kid

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on November 11, 2008, 07:01:48 PM
Quote from: billy the kid on November 11, 2008, 05:01:14 PM
The Derry Championship is not a good template to be following.

1. Far to many games to be played and this causes alot of other teams to suffer. Eg Hurling clubs, the Derry county teams, and the season to be very long and drawn out. Eg Derry leagues are only finishing now and the Derry Football team were beat in the first round of the qualifiers.

2. It leads to dead rubber games where teams have nothing to play for in final round (already qualified or already out) and they can have the intensity of a charity match on boxing day.

3. The group system basically ensures that the top teams all make the QFs because they may be caught on the hop in a group game but will end up winning the other 2 and this removes the chances of a smaller club having an impact.

The Derry  format is an excellent idea. It gives teams more high profile games and the top teams don't always get through eg Loup this year and Castledawson last year. The only objectors are the hurlers who whinge continuously about everything and county managers who would prefer that club would be done away with altogether.

It doesnt give teams more high profile games as the crowds are noticeably quite smaller even at double-header first round games and for the latter games where nothing is at stake, where both teams through, both teams out, the crowds are not much more than league and there is no cut and thrust of championship to be seen.  Moreover on occaisons a team can be in the position in there final game where they know that as long as they dont lose by anymore than "X amount" they go through and wathing these games would make you wanna take up another sport.

Castledawson are not in the top bracket (4/5) of clubs in the county and just avoided relegation last year and got relegated this year with only 2 points. Loup have fallen out of the top bracket the last couple of years and were pretty poor all of this year. These 2 clubs, like my own club Ballinascreen, are in the next group of 5/6 and no team any lower than this have qualified for the last 8 over the 2 years.  The Derry Football championship was already one of the strongest in Ulster and should have been left alone.

Championship should be straight knock-out, 1 chance or your gone, that was always the beauty of it, and what made it feel so special if you won it.

If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

rrhf

i have yet to meet 1 man who is against Garvaghy, - Its a fine project and we will make it happen,  but we have to exhaust all options of fundraising before we take the sponsors and members off the clubs - their only source of revenue.  Only so much dough to go around at the moment and the initial proposal represents a potentially devastating loss of revenue for the clubs.       

orangeman

Quote from: rrhf on November 12, 2008, 12:04:48 PM
i have yet to meet 1 man who is against Garvaghy, - Its a fine project and we will make it happen,  but we have to exhaust all options of fundraising before we take the sponsors and members off the clubs - their only source of revenue.  Only so much dough to go around at the moment and the initial proposal represents a potentially devastating loss of revenue for the clubs.       

There's not too many against Garvaghey - it's just a question of how it can be funded.

Rois

Did this happen last night?  Disappointed I have to say.  But to say it's dead is a bit of a knee jerk reaction surely? 

ziggysego

In the current economic climate, it wouldn't be the foremost concern in most people's mind. What with family commitments and club commitments. I wouldn't say it's dead in the water yet though.
Testing Accessibility

Stall the Bailer

The draw they were proposing is dead, as most clubs are doing some sort of draw/fundraising themselves.
This draw needed at least 40 clubs on board to make it work. With many clubs already asking their members for £10/£20/or more a month, it would be Grab all type stuff going back asking them for more (esp. in the current climate).
The Garvaghey project was not dependant on this draw I believe. It will still go ahead.

tyrone86

Quote from: Rois on November 12, 2008, 02:57:22 PM

Did this happen last night?  Disappointed I have to say.  But to say it's dead is a bit of a knee jerk reaction surely? 

I might have been a bit facetious. It's certainly not dead, and the clubs are going to have to fund their share of the project in some way but it'll looks like it's back to the proverbial drawing board.

However, also arising out of last night's meeting, a former leading light in Club Tyrone seems to be doing his best to parody one of the grumpy old men.