The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 06, 2020, 01:51:36 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 06, 2020, 01:43:59 PM
Quote from: whitey on November 06, 2020, 01:16:25 PM
I would expect the Democrats have a great chance of taking both GA Senate seats

Then the fun and games will begin, because Joe is going to have to enact a VERY progressive agenda

Democrats are already losing ground in the House and could face a severe backlash in two years at the midterms.

2020 showed us (me anyway) that the Republicans are far from finished.  In spite of everything that was one heck of a turnout for Trump in the middle of a pandemic

Regarding people voting or not voting.....it has been reported that Colin Kaepernick has never even bothered to register....EVER

You don't find this and Trump's conduct all week (and probably to come) even slightly disturbing?

No more disturbing than concocting a fake dossier and using it to spy on an opponents campaign staff

Did you read about what was said in Nancy Pelosis call yesterday.....that would explain (in my opinion) why Trump got such a great vote

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/failure-house-democrats-grapple-surprise-2020-losses/story%3fid=74048497

Assuming for the sake of argument that what you say is all correct, you're comparing that incident to the complete surrender of almost the entire US conservative movement to becoming an irrational conspiracy movement dedicated primarily to the Trump cult of personality?

bannside

Looking like a comprehensive victory for Biden. It should end up 306 v 229. Thats a brave hammering for Bluffer Don if it ends like that.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: bannside on November 06, 2020, 02:02:32 PM
Looking like a comprehensive victory for Biden. It should end up 306 v 229. Thats a brave hammering for Bluffer Don if it ends like that.

That's what he won the 2016 by. Not quite a landslide but a hell of a win. 4m ahead on popular vote too

LCohen

306 vs 232 (need to add in Alaska)

An exact reversal of 2016

Jell 0 Biafra

Even if the Democrats were to win the two Georgia run off seats, I wouldn't be expecting anything too radical to pass (court packing, statehood for DC, PR).  There would only need to be one Democrat to abstain or vote against a piece of legislation for it not to pass.  And there are Democratic senators in mostly red states who would be wary of losing their seats if seen to be voting for anything too extreme.

whitey

Quote from: J70 on November 06, 2020, 02:00:26 PM

Then the fun and games will begin, because Joe is going to have to enact a VERY progressive agenda

Democrats are already losing ground in the House and could face a severe backlash in two years at the midterms.

2020 showed us (me anyway) that the Republicans are far from finished.  In spite of everything that was one heck of a turnout for Trump in the middle of a pandemic

Regarding people voting or not voting.....it has been reported that Colin Kaepernick has never even bothered to register....EVER

You don't find this and Trump's conduct all week (and probably to come) even slightly disturbing?

No more disturbing than concocting a fake dossier and using it to spy on an opponents campaign staff

Did you read about what was said in Nancy Pelosis call yesterday.....that would explain (in my opinion) why Trump got such a great vote

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/failure-house-democrats-grapple-surprise-2020-losses/story%3fid=74048497

Assuming for the sake of argument that what you say is all correct, you're comparing that incident to the complete surrender of almost the entire US conservative movement to becoming an irrational conspiracy movement dedicated primarily to the Trump cult of personality?

I have been saying for years that Democrats were losing the working class vote (and everyone in here completely disagrees with me)

What did Andrew Yang say yesterday? 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/andrew-yang-criticizes-democratic-party-says-people-think-they-care-more-about-policing-cultural-1545354%3famp=1

The girl who cuts my hair and makes no more than $60K a year is a fvckin Trump supporter who lives in a big blue collar town.....I was blown away

Well she owns a 3 family house. None of her tenants work, never have-never will, yet get every handout under the sun and have zero accountability for any of the (bad)decisions they make

She left school at 16-works 10 hours a day, 6 days a week and takes one vacation per year to NH.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: whitey on November 06, 2020, 02:13:51 PM

I have been saying for years that Democrats were losing the working class vote (and everyone in here completely disagrees with me)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newsweek.com/andrew-yang-criticizes-democratic-party-says-people-think-they-care-more-about-policing-cultural-1545354%3famp=1

The girl who cuts my hair and makes no more than $60K a year is a fvckin Trump supporter who lives in a big blue collar town.....I was blown away

Well she owns a 3 family house. None of her tenants work, never have-never will, yet get every handout under the sun and have zero accountability for any of the (bad)decisions they make

She left school at 16-works 10 hours a day, 6 days a week and takes one vacation per year to NH.

So what has Trump done to help her economic or social situation?

J70

Again, all of that may be true. And the Dems have work to do going forward to keep all of the disparate coalitions together as well as recover some of the lost voters. That said, I don't want the Dems to make appeals to voters who think its just fine to rip babies from their mothers and ship them across the country, or who completely reject any type of limitation on gun ownership, or who utterly reject the idea that black people have suffered real racism, including at the hands of the police or who think that climate change is fake and that we should mine and log out every last piece of land in the country.

But as a conservative, are you happy for the GOP to proceed as the Party of Trump, with all of the conspiracy theory embracing, the grievance politics, the rejection of expertise and science, the dehumanization of illegal immigrants, the hostility to LGBT people, etc.? Are you happy to live with that as long as your taxes are a wee bit lower?

whitey

Quote from: OgraAnDun on November 06, 2020, 02:22:48 PM

So what has Trump done to help her economic or social situation?

That's a great question

Probably not as much as she thinks, but he did cut her taxes by about $1500

It's more nuanced than that though. She told me this story years ago about her tenants selling their food stamps. They all smoke, they all drink, they all have kids who's fathers don't work or pay child support. So when Trump cuts food stamps and she personally knows people who are flat out abusing the system, that's a huge plus for Trump in her book. 

HiMucker

Ah Jesus Whitey, I thought you had fallen off a cliff. Glad your ok ;D

whitey

Quote from: J70 on November 06, 2020, 02:29:00 PM

Again, all of that may be true. And the Dems have work to do going forward to keep all of the disparate coalitions together as well as recover some of the lost voters. That said, I don't want the Dems to make appeals to voters who think its just fine to rip babies from their mothers and ship them across the country, or who completely reject any type of limitation on gun ownership, or who utterly reject the idea that black people have suffered real racism, including at the hands of the police or who think that climate change is fake and that we should mine and log out every last piece of land in the country.

But as a conservative, are you happy for the GOP to proceed as the Party of Trump, with all of the conspiracy theory embracing, the grievance politics, the rejection of expertise and science, the dehumanization of illegal immigrants, the hostility to LGBT people, etc.? Are you happy to live with that as long as your taxes are a wee bit lower?

I'll respond in full when I have more time.

whitey

Quote from: HiMucker on November 06, 2020, 02:40:15 PM

Ah Jesus Whitey, I thought you had fallen off a cliff. Glad your ok ;D

Really busy at work....I took a break posting  leading up to the election and probably will again soon

J70

Quote from: whitey on November 06, 2020, 02:41:22 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 06, 2020, 02:29:00 PM

I'll respond in full when I have more time.

I'm a bit busy myself, and frankly more interested right now in the election itself, so let's revisit. 

Corkscrew

Quote from: LeoMc on November 06, 2020, 01:35:38 PM
Steve Bannon! Maybe that belongs on the WTF thread.

We have pickup convoys full of armed men, waving flags, radicalised into believing they are doing their Gods Will whilst their spiritual directors call for beheadings of government Officials.
Maybe this belongs on the ISIS thread.

Obviously you have never heard of Shut Down DC and Sunrise. Must be just a Conspiracy Theory .

Cunny Funt

Looks that way and the polls would be right with Biden winning by a bit to spare.

Trump will always be Trump but my god he made a total fool of himself last night.