The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Arsenal clear at the top however are they likely to keep it going when Manchester City,Chelsea have a better squads than them? Only three points between eighth and second now and will be another ten games before the table takes shape.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: gerrykeegan on November 02, 2013, 06:57:11 PM
Arsenal look like a nicely balanced  side. Liverpool are poor tonight.  I predict that this might be where the pools seasons ends.

I'm pretty sure they have a game next weekend.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 02, 2013, 09:16:39 PM
Arsenal look like a nicely balanced  side. Liverpool are poor tonight.  I predict that this might be where the pools seasons ends.

Of course I could be wrong, it's an observation nothing more nothing less.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

J OGorman

Quote from: gerrykeegan on November 02, 2013, 09:41:50 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 02, 2013, 09:16:39 PM

Of course I could be wrong, it's an observation nothing more nothing less.

top observing Gerry

No shame in losing to Arsenal away from home. Will be a measure of the side how they react to the defeat. Sitting prettier than a lot of folk would have predicted

Walter Cronc

Is Agger not fit or something??

Surely he is a better option than anyone of the current 'back three'.

He could even have done a job at left back rather than Sissohko.

supersub

Agger and Tour were first choice, Toure got injured and Skrtel came in, had a blinder. Changed to back three when Sahko signed and Agger hasn't got back in since he got injured and Toure came back. Vice captain too. Think he should be back in there now instead of Skrtel or Sahko as first choice.

Hound

Quote from: supersub on November 04, 2013, 02:00:09 PM
Agger and Tour were first choice, Toure got injured and Skrtel came in, had a blinder. Changed to back three when Sahko signed and Agger hasn't got back in since he got injured and Toure came back. Vice captain too. Think he should be back in there now instead of Skrtel or Sahko as first choice.
I wouldnt bring Agger back. He just makes too many mistakes. Sahko after a nervy start is now playing well. Skrtel also doing well. Personally I'd have no hesitation in keeping the two of them ahead of Agger, but good to have cover if either get injured or have a dip in form.

Defence not the problem, midfield is. Gerrard is still the best we have despite not having the legs to cover the ground he used to. So he's easy enough for opposition to bypass. Lucas gives away too many fouls due to stupid challenges and is chronically bad with the ball when he tries to pass it more than 5 yards. Henderson shows glimpses of being a proper footballer, but not often enough and at times shows serious lack of composure. 

Coutinho was clearly a bit rusty, but that game will bring him on a lot. Hopefully he starts next week.

blewuporstuffed

do you think Rodgers will look to bring someone in  in January?
as good as sturridge & suarez are, there isnt much cover for them if theyw ere to pick up injuries or suspensions
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Hound

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 04, 2013, 03:41:48 PM
as good as sturridge & suarez are, there isnt much cover for them if theyw ere to pick up injuries or suspensions
Personally I'd be looking for a central midfielder first and foremost.
Secondly, I'd be looking for another central midfielder!

We'd cope fine without one of Suarez or Sturridge. Of course if both of them got crocked at the same time we'd be proper goosed!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Hound on November 04, 2013, 03:55:49 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on November 04, 2013, 03:41:48 PM
Personally I'd be looking for a central midfielder first and foremost.
Secondly, I'd be looking for another central midfielder!

We'd cope fine without one of Suarez or Sturridge. Of course if both of them got crocked at the same time we'd be proper goosed!

Completely agree, we need a step up from what there is there at the minute.  Allen hasn't been as hoped and I think Lucas is still not at the level required at the minute.  He is excellent and gets through serious work but we need more out of him in my view.  I have seen Mkhitaryan at Dortmund a few times and he was definitely one that would have been a great acquisition.  Someone of his calibre is needed to push onto the next level.

Bingo

Saturday really didn't annoy me at all, if anything it served as a reality check. Arsenal are a CL team who have developed a style and the players to play in that style for over a dozen years, they've been in cracking form and always been a team we've struggled against.

We got beat 2-0, while arsenal dominated possession, we didn't concede too many goal chances to them but we also never looked likely either.

We don't have the fullbacks/wing backs to play 3-5-2 and I hope Rodgers see's that now. We also don't have the midfield to play that way. Gerard is a major concern and needs to used better or rested.

As well as Mkhitaryan, Diego Costa has also impressed at Ath Madrid, scoring for fun and looks likely to be capped by Spain followed his "transfer" from Brazil. Seems they are targetting the right players but need to stay in the top 4 to sign them.

supersub

Quote from: Hound on November 04, 2013, 03:13:08 PM
Quote from: supersub on November 04, 2013, 02:00:09 PM
I wouldnt bring Agger back. He just makes too many mistakes. Sahko after a nervy start is now playing well. Skrtel also doing well. Personally I'd have no hesitation in keeping the two of them ahead of Agger, but good to have cover if either get injured or have a dip in form.

Defence not the problem, midfield is. Gerrard is still the best we have despite not having the legs to cover the ground he used to. So he's easy enough for opposition to bypass. Lucas gives away too many fouls due to stupid challenges and is chronically bad with the ball when he tries to pass it more than 5 yards. Henderson shows glimpses of being a proper footballer, but not often enough and at times shows serious lack of composure. 

Coutinho was clearly a bit rusty, but that game will bring him on a lot. Hopefully he starts next week.

I completely disagree. I think Sahko is still very on edge, always looks like he will either take man ball and all, or make a complete hash of it. Skrtel has been better but last few games I think he was ropy too. I think defence is a big problem at the minute with no clean sheet since the Utd league game 1st September, one clean sheet in ten games isn't good enough in my opinion. Midfield has been settled and winning and keeping possession a lot of the time with the lads up front causing real bother too - obviously. Gerrard has been quiet-ish but I think Lucas goes through some serious work for us and so what if he is only passing 5-10 yards, he always keeps possession and it isn't his role to be creative, that's the guys further forwards role. Henderson has come on a lot indeed but does show naivety and lack of confidence/composure when in certain situations. Midfield has been better than defence over the last while, but we do need another option in there for sure both for cover and for a driving force and midfield goals like Gerrard used to be, like Toure does for City and Ramsey is doing at the minute for Arsenal.

Carmen Stateside

Would like to see Joe Allen get a chance.  Would offer a lot more energy, also a great man at controlling things. 
Gerrard should get a break, thought he was very poor Saturday, he seemed to be stuck between pressing high up the field and trying to hold.  Lucas was steady trying to cover the space he was leaving.
Allen great start last year shows he is good enough, the poor run of games came while he was playing with an injured shoulder.

CD

The whole 'back three' thing has been forced on Rogers as a way of accommodating players. It is a bit worrying that he has compromised a system of play that he has spent 16 months developing by changing formation when things are going well. I believe he prefers one player up front - Suarez - just like he did at Swansea and right up until Suarez returned. Sturridge's form has been so good that BR can't drop him and so he has changed the formation elsewhere - it's amazing that his excellent form has potentially been detrimental to the overall team performance. Liverpool look better with 3 players supporting a front man. Playing a back three against Arsenal's 1 striker just doesn't make sense to me - if Johnson and Enriqe were fit, maybe the formation would be different.

That said, I've been really pleased by the start to the season. Cissoko has looked a bit ropy but him aside the back 4/5 have done well and I have no doubt that players like Allen, Sterling, Agger and Moses will have an impact on the team during the hectic few months ahead.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Wee Roddy

I don't think either Mkhitaryan or Diego Costa would even consider coming to Anfield until we qualify for the champions league. Its simply unrealistic now with the strength of the Spanish and German leagues. Half of Europe was after Mkhitaryans manager Klopp, but he stayed as he really thinks Dortmund can win the champions league. I really cant see anyone jumping ship at this stage.