The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Suarez gets a hat-trick so what does Sturridge do???

brokencrossbar1

4 outstanding goals but still a small bit worrying at the back.  Suarez second goal was an outrageous effort and the DS goal was simply sublime.  Still not sure about the formation but it does seem to be getting the best out of the front 2 and that is all that matters, when was the last time that the Liverpool strikers were 1 and 2 in the top scorers chart? 

Next weeks game will be a tight affair but with Arteta out and Flamini possibly out then Liverpool have a decent chance.  Flamini has been key to the Gooners this year as he provides the safety net for the likes of Wilshire and Ramsey to express themselves.  I have to say it is a nice position to be in and may help towards pulling in a key signing in January is they are sitting in or close to the top 4.  The table after 10 games generally gives a good indication of things but this year is different I reckon as no matter what happens you will probably have Everton and Southampton in the top 6 and while you may have been able to guess that about the Toffees Southampton have been a pleasant surprise. 

laoislad

Zinedine Zidane has told Sir Alex Ferguson his verdict on Steven Gerrard is wrong.

Zidane, once acclaimed as the world's finest footballer and now sporting director of Real Madrid, said: "For two or three years, Steven Gerrard was the best midfield player in the world.

"Even now he is playing at a high level for ­Liverpool and England."

The 41-year-old Zidane (believes the comments of former Manchester United boss Fergie about Gerrard in his autobiography are "strange."

Ferguson insisted that Liverpool captain Gerrard has never been "a top, top player."

But as well as hailing the Liverpool star as being the best in the world during his pomp, Zidane added: "Gerrard has been loyal to Liverpool throughout his career – which is great for them – but if he had wanted to leave four or five years ago then every top club in Europe would have tried to sign him.

"And they would have probably had to break the transfer record to do it.

"Alex Ferguson is obviously one of the most successful coaches the game has ever had. But I did find his comments about Steven Gerrard very strange. To say he is not a top player is wrong."

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

supersub

Strange and wrong indeed. But sure a bit of sensationalism never did selling a book any harm ;-)

Saw an interview with him a few years ago when he said Gerrard was the one player he would love to have signed but knew he couldn't. Something a bit fishy about the book quote.

Reading it myself at the moment, but can't seem to finish it, Howard Webb keeps adding 6 pages.

supersarsfields

Some great movement and play from the team at the minute and they're enjoyable to watch. Especially the front two. I saw they were debating on MotD who was the better partnership Suarez & Sturridge or RvP and Rooney. Good enough debate to be fair. I'd pump for our two at the minute.
Individual wise I'd prob put Rooney, Suarez and RvP on relatively the same level. Suarez and Rooney edging it at present. With Sturridge below these three (Might be a bit unfair on him in fairness). But as a partnership S&S have really clicked and I'm sure that's in no small part due to the way we are playing the game now.

Are we now realistic top 4 candidates or is the inevitable drop just around the corner?

ps Nice to see Borini pop up with a belter as well.

EC Unique

Quote from: supersarsfields on October 28, 2013, 12:23:00 PM
Some great movement and play from the team at the minute and they're enjoyable to watch. Especially the front two. I saw they were debating on MotD who was the better partnership Suarez & Sturridge or RvP and Rooney. Good enough debate to be fair. I'd pump for our two at the minute.
Individual wise I'd prob put Rooney, Suarez and RvP on relatively the same level. Suarez and Rooney edging it at present. With Sturridge below these three (Might be a bit unfair on him in fairness). But as a partnership S&S have really clicked and I'm sure that's in no small part due to the way we are playing the game now.

Are we now realistic top 4 candidates or is the inevitable drop just around the corner?

ps Nice to see Borini pop up with a belter as well.

On form the Liverpool duo are the best in the League. IMO Arsenal and Chelsea are nailed on for top 4. The other 2 places are up for grabs and Liverpool def are in with a shout for one of them along with 4 other teams.

Walter Cronc

Thoughts on the big game tomorrow...

Any surprise starters? Countinho maybe?                             

gawa316

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 01, 2013, 01:28:47 PM

Would imagine Liverpool with go with the same team as last week. Coutinho on from the bench if needed. Defo need Gerrard, Lucas and Hendo in the middle, as they'll have their work cut out for them as it is never mind minus one of them for the less defensive Coutinho.

Both attacks will most likely be on top in this game. Would take a draw now.

Billys Boots

QuoteReading it myself at the moment, but can't seem to finish it, Howard Webb keeps adding 6 pages.

I like it.  :)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

CD

I think Coutinho is still a bit away - but don't think Liverpool will play Sturridge tomorrow - I've a feeling he'll put an extra body in midfield - maybe Moses and play 4/5/Suarez. Might be a good system to try to deny Arsenal in the middle third where they are most effective. Suarez plays the lone gunman role as well as anyone and is effective with or without Sturridge in the side.

I was interested in Hansen's comments re. the best front 2 partnership. He was suggesting that Suarez and Sturridge are not really a partnership as such - just two individuals, one of whom (Sturridge) is playing out of his skin at the moment. It remains to be seen whether Sturridge can maintain it consistently. I still think he makes the wrong decisions on occasion and is a bit obsessed with his own legend - I know City, Chelsea and Bolton fans all commented that his favourite word was 'me'. From a Liverpool perspective, I'm just happy that he keeps sticking the ball in the net at the moment!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

laoislad

Quote from: gawa316 on November 01, 2013, 02:34:06 PM

Would take a draw now.

+1
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

naka

fancy lfc to do the biz 2-1
gerard and skrtel for me

gawa316

Quote from: CD on November 01, 2013, 07:15:09 PM

I think Coutinho is still a bit away - but don't think Liverpool will play Sturridge tomorrow - I've a feeling he'll put an extra body in midfield - maybe Moses and play 4/5/Suarez. Might be a good system to try to deny Arsenal in the middle third where they are most effective. Suarez plays the lone gunman role as well as anyone and is effective with or without Sturridge in the side.

I was interested in Hansen's comments re. the best front 2 partnership. He was suggesting that Suarez and Sturridge are not really a partnership as such - just two individuals, one of whom (Sturridge) is playing out of his skin at the moment. It remains to be seen whether Sturridge can maintain it consistently. I still think he makes the wrong decisions on occasion and is a bit obsessed with his own legend - I know City, Chelsea and Bolton fans all commented that his favourite word was 'me'. From a Liverpool perspective, I'm just happy that he keeps sticking the ball in the net at the moment!

Can see were you are coming from but can't see (and hope) BR dropping the leagues top goal scorer. Arsenals defence is their weak link and think we need to go at them. The 3 CB's has been going well but with Arsenal 'only' having Giroud up top, it may leave one twiddling his thumbs and it also may leave us over run in midfield.

I would start out with what has being getting results of late (352) and if needs be take a CB off and bring on Allen to help out in the middle.

CD

I see the logic in that - I agree that 3 CBs mightn't work against Arsenal. I'd say Rogers would like to be a bit more conservative but if Liverpool lose the game he'd be villified for dropping Sturridge.
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Bingo

Massive test today, first big one of the season. I'd nearly take a draw but it's a game that is very unlikely to be a draw.

Nice to have coutinho back, good option for last 20 today if game in balance. Massive work needed from Henderson and Lucas.

Can't see anything but goals from both teams, a shoot out.