Jamie Clarke,the GAA's answer to Stephen Ireland?

Started by T Fearon, January 05, 2016, 09:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: INDIANA on January 11, 2016, 11:18:45 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on January 11, 2016, 07:52:23 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on January 11, 2016, 03:08:25 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 11, 2016, 02:12:18 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 11, 2016, 02:09:49 PM
Hang on now. I'm a big fan of club teams, but to suggest that a Crossmaglen team, ramping up for an All Ireland Club Semi Final, beating a Kildare team getting ready to start the O'Byrne Cup, indicates that they'd beat most county teams is stretching it.

With the best will in the world, the best club teams in the country would be beaten by 25 county teams at least, if they met when both were mid season.

They still might beat Offaly mind you :)
Mind you its one of those ones hard to disprove. I still think Cross have more county standard players than the current Armagh squad!

This type of gibberish amply illustrates the mentality that creates the cultural vacuum which those Cross lads that have the potential to play county football have to be brave enough to push through. It's an unnecessary, poisonous culture that damages our county unfortunately. Cross and every other club's players should be proud enough Armagh men to put themselves in harms way to see if they can make it for the county to be able to put their best foot forward.
I second that. Cross deserve all the credit in the world for their achievements, but non-Crossmaglen (Armagh clubmen) people worshipping at the Cross altar and basking in some sort of reflected glory sickens my hole and it really isn't good for the County team.

Current Vincent's team would beat 15 county teams at least. And Cross too.

I think this is right up there with your most stupid/ridiculous statements of all time!!

No wides

Quote from: T Fearon on January 13, 2016, 11:40:19 PM
Who remembers club champions outside their own county? What difference will it make if Cross win another 40? Still won't compare to that glorious day in September 2002.

You are an embarrassment to the GAA and given your comments on child abuse and Norn Ireland's identity and embarrassment to society as a whole.

Applesisapples

Quote from: No wides on January 15, 2016, 11:13:02 AM
Who remembers club champions outside their own county? What difference will it make if Cross win another 40? Still won't compare to that glorious day in September 2002.

You are an embarrassment to the GAA and given your comments on child abuse and Norn Ireland's identity and embarrassment to society as a whole.
From someone so new to the board you demonstrate such a profound insight into everyone's favourite poster. :)

smelmoth

Quote from: general_lee on January 10, 2016, 03:15:51 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on January 10, 2016, 02:11:35 PM
Quote from: general_lee on January 08, 2016, 12:26:52 PM
Some of the players have said they'd run through walls for McGeeney. 
Running through walls? Does that make you a better player?
Yes. Scientifically proven.

Why play top level sport if you arent willing to exert yourself?
Quote from: smelmothIf that exertion was in the direction of skills and skill development some of the gym bunnies would drop out - or be found wanting.
Who said anything about exertion making you a gym bunny? You won't last too long on a GAA field if you aren't willing to at least put some time into S&C; especially if it is a perceived weakness.

Conor McGregor said a good one recently "I'm not talented, I'm just obsessed". I think that should be nailed to the door of every changing room in the country.
Quote from: smelmothOr nail it to the coffin of gaelic football?
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Maybe that's why Jamie has waned slightly on the IC front of late?
I work harder than Jamie. But who would you rather watch?

BennyCake

Bar Cross fans, few will care. Fans of clubs yet to win a club c'ship would give anything to win one.

2002 was special, but I'd say there's Cross men that value a club AI over a county AI.

rionach 4

As an Armagh man I find a lot of this difficult to read . Tony, I had the pleasure of knowing and playing alongside your late brother, an absolute gentleman. It's a pity that you bring this debate up and I readily acknowledge your wind-up credentials and if I have fallen into the trap then so be it. What Jamie Clarke decides to do with his own life, in his own time and with his own money is a matter for Jamie Clarke and most certainly no-one else. I like you am gutted that he isn't playing. Like you I feel that the best players in armagh are not playing for their county ,be it not asked , be it not wanting to or be it retired, thats life . In my own club we have had a bellyfull of it . If only he would, could, or in your case with Jamie, should , i have heard it all. Let's get over it and get on.

On the subject of
Keiran McGeeney , the manager , all this talk about his money etc is frustrating. I was at the county convention I studied in detail the financial report . I brought it back to the club etc etc and any to be truthful no delegates complained and all parts were queried as i am sure happens in every other county, so give that one a rest.
As for the argument that Cross would beat many county sides, that remains to be seen and when Cross play in the first round of the county senior football championship in Ulster i'll give my verdict then.
As for Cross, the club team, I like many in my county, would prefer a change and a greater challenge at the top and I'm sure Cross would be the first to admit they would prefer a tougher challenge but it's up to the clubs to come up to scratch It aint Crossmaglen's problem No argument there.
The problem with county training etc and huge comittment six nights a week training or whatever, is that it's a double edged sword. While on the one hand we have managers and coaches pushing players to the limit we have players expecting to be pushed further etc . Many managers fall on the sword of , look at what theyr'e doing . Look at the coaches they have . I have heard in the past from a number of players . we're not being trained coached or prepared to the same level as other more successful teams . I had this chat with members of a great bunch of lads from leitrim .They complained that they hadn't the financial resources  to compete and many were literally pissed of and with drawing from the county.
In the past in Armagh some withdrew from the county squad as they felt they were getting better coaching and S&C with their club.  The demand also comes from players not just coaches. The players in some cases are as demanding as well as coaches( and in many cases quite rightly so) and this is driving the whole scenario skyward.
I know of one great club in Tyrone whose players complained that the lack of lighting on one of their training pitches was crucial in their failure to compete in the top four . Rightly or wrongly the club are out selling tickets to remedy this . To those players at club level it's inches as well. Coaches drive hard but so to do players and probably rightly so.

Good luck Cross on the 13th  I'll be there to support the team as an Armagh man first and foremost and Tony if I see Jamie I'll tell him you were asking about him and make sure he sends you a postcard.

JoG2

Quote from: rionach 4 on January 16, 2016, 04:51:47 PM
As an Armagh man I find a lot of this difficult to read . Tony, I had the pleasure of knowing and playing alongside your late brother, an absolute gentleman. It's a pity that you bring this debate up and I readily acknowledge your wind-up credentials and if I have fallen into the trap then so be it. What Jamie Clarke decides to do with his own life, in his own time and with his own money is a matter for Jamie Clarke and most certainly no-one else. I like you am gutted that he isn't playing. Like you I feel that the best players in armagh are not playing for their county ,be it not asked , be it not wanting to or be it retired, thats life . In my own club we have had a bellyfull of it . If only he would, could, or in your case with Jamie, should , i have heard it all. Let's get over it and get on.

On the subject of
Keiran McGeeney , the manager , all this talk about his money etc is frustrating. I was at the county convention I studied in detail the financial report . I brought it back to the club etc etc and any to be truthful no delegates complained and all parts were queried as i am sure happens in every other county, so give that one a rest.
As for the argument that Cross would beat many county sides, that remains to be seen and when Cross play in the first round of the county senior football championship in Ulster i'll give my verdict then.
As for Cross, the club team, I like many in my county, would prefer a change and a greater challenge at the top and I'm sure Cross would be the first to admit they would prefer a tougher challenge but it's up to the clubs to come up to scratch It aint Crossmaglen's problem No argument there.
The problem with county training etc and huge comittment six nights a week training or whatever, is that it's a double edged sword. While on the one hand we have managers and coaches pushing players to the limit we have players expecting to be pushed further etc . Many managers fall on the sword of , look at what theyr'e doing . Look at the coaches they have . I have heard in the past from a number of players . we're not being trained coached or prepared to the same level as other more successful teams . I had this chat with members of a great bunch of lads from leitrim .They complained that they hadn't the financial resources  to compete and many were literally pissed of and with drawing from the county.
In the past in Armagh some withdrew from the county squad as they felt they were getting better coaching and S&C with their club.  The demand also comes from players not just coaches. The players in some cases are as demanding as well as coaches( and in many cases quite rightly so) and this is driving the whole scenario skyward.
I know of one great club in Tyrone whose players complained that the lack of lighting on one of their training pitches was crucial in their failure to compete in the top four . Rightly or wrongly the club are out selling tickets to remedy this . To those players at club level it's inches as well. Coaches drive hard but so to do players and probably rightly so.

Good luck Cross on the 13th  I'll be there to support the team as an Armagh man first and foremost and Tony if I see Jamie I'll tell him you were asking about him and make sure he sends you a postcard.

Good post,  but McGeeneys loot will not be found in any CB or official financial report! It'll be tucked away in some benefactors books!

T Fearon

Rionach. I read your comments with interest.For the record I am not denying Jamie Clarke's right to do what he wants.It is a source of incredulity that he cannot commit to his county for the entirety of the relatively few short years he,and every other footballer,has.He surely can only be making the decision not to due to his perception that there is little prospect of success.What sort of message does that send out to the county's supporters,who in their droves,and more so than any other county in Ireland, stick with the team through thick and thin? I also contrast this lousy attitude with the extreme efforts made by the likes of Ronan Clarke, who in the face of extreme adversity,did all in his power to prolong his county career.

Jamie can of course do what he likes,but he can hardly expect kudos from any Armagh supporter for this decision.

No wides

Quote from: T Fearon on January 16, 2016, 06:24:53 PM

Jamie can of course do what he likes,but he can hardly expect kudos from Tony Fearon for this decision.

Fixed that for you, I am sure Jamie gives a flying one.  Though I bet if Armagh were playing Down in the Ulster final and they jetted him in, you would be creaming your pants and frothing at the mouth in offering him kudos. 

JoG2

Quote from: T Fearon on January 16, 2016, 06:24:53 PM
Rionach. I read your comments with interest.For the record I am not denying Jamie Clarke's right to do what he wants.It is a source of incredulity that he cannot commit to his county for the entirety of the relatively few short years he,and every other footballer,has.He surely can only be making the decision not to due to his perception that there is little prospect of success.What sort of message does that send out to the county's supporters,who in their droves,and more so than any other county in Ireland, stick with the team through thick and thin? I also contrast this lousy attitude with the extreme efforts made by the likes of Ronan Clarke, who in the face of extreme adversity,did all in his power to prolong his county career.

Jamie can of course do what he likes,but he can hardly expect kudos from any Armagh supporter for this decision.

Ah man.  You've a fierce want in you

Aaron Boone

I can't see Jamie riding this crisis out much longer. It's pretty clear McGeeney & the Armagh fans want this man back.

brokencrossbar1

This is the last I will post on this.  Tony,  Jamie is 25,  he will be 26 in June.  He has played 5-6 championship campaigns already for Armagh.  He is taking a year away,  he will miss 1 season.  He will also miss the Armagh Championship but you don't hear us bitching like little girls saying he owes us an explanation(and let's face it he owes us a bigger one than Armagh).  By the time he returns he will be coming 27 and really only coming into his peak time.  He doesn't abuse himself with his lifestyle and will not need much training to get up to speed.  He will then hopefully be refreshed and ready to go again.  If not then that will be his decision.  He owes you, me nor anyone an explanation and that's that.  let him get on with his life and you get on with yours.

T Fearon

😂.He'll hardly be swayed by my feelings on the matter.But what if Armagh replicate the successful run of two years ago? Should Jamie be brought back onto the panel the following season automatically,or  should he suffer like Mc Kenna and the other two lads who departed to the USA after the Cavan defeat in Ulster C'ship in 2013 (and I recall their decision being roundly condemned by Armagh supporters and funny enough didn't hear ah sure they're only young and it's their business what they do,back then),and only brought back if and when the manager decides he should be?

smelmoth

Quote from: rionach 4 on January 16, 2016, 04:51:47 PM

On the subject of

Do you genuinely think that Kieran McGeeney is not being paid to be the Armagh manager? If you do you are the only Armagh fan (and I include Kieran McGeeney in this) who thinks that.

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on January 16, 2016, 09:17:32 PM
😂.He'll hardly be swayed by my feelings on the matter.But what if Armagh replicate the successful run of two years ago? Should Jamie be brought back onto the panel the following season automatically,or  should he suffer like Mc Kenna and the other two lads who departed to the USA after the Cavan defeat in Ulster C'ship in 2013 (and I recall their decision being roundly condemned by Armagh supporters and funny enough didn't hear ah sure they're only young and it's their business what they do,back then),and only brought back if and when the manager decides he should be?

Those lads were condemned as they abandoned ship halfway through the c'ship. Clarke has made his intentions clear before the season started. If he wants to return for the 2017 season, I don't see why there should be any issue.