Jamie Clarke,the GAA's answer to Stephen Ireland?

Started by T Fearon, January 05, 2016, 09:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: T Fearon on January 13, 2016, 05:43:13 AM
Club sides aren't the priority in the likes of Kerry or Dublin or Tyrone even.County teams are

Define what you mean by that? In Kerry, the county board's remit is the development of the game in the county, to ensure the best possible standard of County Championship, including use of Divisional Sides,and therefore to improve the standard of the county team. However, in order to do that, they try to ensure the clubs themselves are challenged and improving all the time. So the club 'game' is absolutely a priority in Kerry at least, but obviously individual clubs are not. A rising tide lifts all boats seems to be the motto.

thebuzz

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 12, 2016, 06:28:09 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on January 12, 2016, 06:18:43 PM
As I say,so starved of success were we in Armagh,that the whole county flocked behind Cross in 1997,but the novelty has worn off.

The novelty of following a winning team?  Well,  thankfully that hasn't happened in Cross!!  If we win the AI this year,  and it will be very tough,  then I think that might set up a few years of success. 

BTW the game is fixed for Brefnii Park on Sat 13th Feb at 6.15.  Live on TG4, extra time if necessary.

Crap. Our kids got us a trip to London that weekend as a Christmas present. Was really looking forward to that match.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: thebuzz on January 13, 2016, 02:01:19 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 12, 2016, 06:28:09 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on January 12, 2016, 06:18:43 PM
As I say,so starved of success were we in Armagh,that the whole county flocked behind Cross in 1997,but the novelty has worn off.

The novelty of following a winning team?  Well,  thankfully that hasn't happened in Cross!!  If we win the AI this year,  and it will be very tough,  then I think that might set up a few years of success. 

BTW the game is fixed for Brefnii Park on Sat 13th Feb at 6.15.  Live on TG4, extra time if necessary.

Crap. Our kids got us a trip to London that weekend as a Christmas present. Was really looking forward to that match.

It is live on TG4,  sure head down to Ruislip and mix with the locals!!!  Sure to be a great nights craic there!

Knock Yer Mucker In

Club sides aren't the priority in the likes of Kerry or Dublin or Tyrone even.County teams are

That's correct in Tyrone's case, county first - club second. Can't speak for the rest.

JoG2

Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on January 13, 2016, 03:27:27 PM

That's correct in Tyrone's case, county first - club second. Can't speak for the rest.

yes, and the Drive 4 Five is on, so who can argue?

trueblue1234

Quote from: JoG2 on January 13, 2016, 03:49:23 PM
Quote from: Knock Yer Mucker In on January 13, 2016, 03:27:27 PM

yes, and the Drive 4 Five is on, so who can argue?

:D You can nearly smell the fear.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

blanketattack

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 13, 2016, 10:07:50 AM

Define what you mean by that? In Kerry, the county board's remit is the development of the game in the county, to ensure the best possible standard of County Championship, including use of Divisional Sides,and therefore to improve the standard of the county team. However, in order to do that, they try to ensure the clubs themselves are challenged and improving all the time. So the club 'game' is absolutely a priority in Kerry at least, but obviously individual clubs are not. A rising tide lifts all boats seems to be the motto.

Kerry have been the dominant force in the All Ireland junior and intermediate club championships, winning half of the titles in the last 10 years and the county board and their competition structure have a big part to play in that.

fearsiuil

Quote from: blanketattack on January 13, 2016, 05:06:11 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 13, 2016, 10:07:50 AM

Kerry have been the dominant force in the All Ireland junior and intermediate club championships, winning half of the titles in the last 10 years and the county board and their competition structure have a big part to play in that.
Senior championship loaded with divisional sides so you end up with good club sides playing intermediate championship and the domino effect to Junior sees an uneven level when playing teams outside Kerry. St. Marys Cahirsiveen a case in point.

Bart1

Quote from: INDIANA on January 11, 2016, 11:55:16 PM
Quote from: smort on January 11, 2016, 11:22:28 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on January 11, 2016, 11:18:45 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on January 11, 2016, 07:52:23 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on January 11, 2016, 03:08:25 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 11, 2016, 02:12:18 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 11, 2016, 02:09:49 PM
Hang on now. I'm a big fan of club teams, but to suggest that a Crossmaglen team, ramping up for an All Ireland Club Semi Final, beating a Kildare team getting ready to start the O'Byrne Cup, indicates that they'd beat most county teams is stretching it.

With the best will in the world, the best club teams in the country would be beaten by 25 county teams at least, if they met when both were mid season.

They still might beat Offaly mind you :)
Mind you its one of those ones hard to disprove. I still think Cross have more county standard players than the current Armagh squad!

This type of gibberish amply illustrates the mentality that creates the cultural vacuum which those Cross lads that have the potential to play county football have to be brave enough to push through. It's an unnecessary, poisonous culture that damages our county unfortunately. Cross and every other club's players should be proud enough Armagh men to put themselves in harms way to see if they can make it for the county to be able to put their best foot forward.
I second that. Cross deserve all the credit in the world for their achievements, but non-Crossmaglen (Armagh clubmen) people worshipping at the Cross altar and basking in some sort of reflected glory sickens my hole and it really isn't good for the County team.

Current Vincent's team would beat 15 county teams at least. And Cross too.

Current Vincent's team isn't in the last four

3 of the last 4 don't play in the best county championship in Ireland

I think you need to check into Portrane mate 😂

T Fearon

Who remembers club champions outside their own county? What difference will it make if Cross win another 40? Still won't compare to that glorious day in September 2002.

INDIANA

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 12, 2016, 10:30:11 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on January 12, 2016, 07:02:43 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on January 12, 2016, 12:03:11 AM

Probably because they live in proper counties, not ones the size of a province.

Not up to it is the answer. Cross would be lucky to have annexed 10 county championships if playing in Dublin. Our seniors hockeyed them last year with half a team. They had one great club side but the current one is average and wouldn't win the Dublin Championship in my opinion.

And the Dublin county team wouldn't have won half as many provincial titles in the past two decades if they were playing in Ulster, pointless argument as per usual where fluff is passed off as fact!

Ulster the province where Monaghan reign supreme. Yeah I forgot they beat us recently. Oh wait now.......... Tyrone who also can't beat us.......Armagh ........fermanagh......... oh wait they can't beat us either.

Yep it's a bit of a poser alright Benjamin

BennyHarp

Quote from: INDIANA on January 13, 2016, 11:49:06 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on January 12, 2016, 10:30:11 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on January 12, 2016, 07:02:43 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on January 12, 2016, 12:03:11 AM

Probably because they live in proper counties, not ones the size of a province.

Not up to it is the answer. Cross would be lucky to have annexed 10 county championships if playing in Dublin. Our seniors hockeyed them last year with half a team. They had one great club side but the current one is average and wouldn't win the Dublin Championship in my opinion.

And the Dublin county team wouldn't have won half as many provincial titles in the past two decades if they were playing in Ulster, pointless argument as per usual where fluff is passed off as fact!

Ulster the province where Monaghan reign supreme. Yeah I forgot they beat us recently. Oh wait now.......... Tyrone who also can't beat us.......Armagh ........fermanagh......... oh wait they can't beat us either.

Yep it's a bit of a poser alright Benjamin

I actually said "in the last two decades". You'd have been also rans in the footnote in the history of Ulster football throughout the noughties and maybe never emerged to become what you are today. Leinster football is very much the intercounty equivalent of the Armagh county championship, where teams queue up to roll over and get their bellies tickled by the all conquering champions. In fact, over the past two decades Dublins conversion rate of provincial titles into AI titles is quite poor really. Though like I said before, it's a pointless debate with no real merit in it. Just like your comments regarding Cross.
That was never a square ball!!

imtommygunn

Quote from: T Fearon on January 13, 2016, 11:40:19 PM
Who remembers club champions outside their own county? What difference will it make if Cross win another 40? Still won't compare to that glorious day in September 2002.

Do you have much to do with your own club? I'm guessing not?

ziggysego

Do you even know anyone from Tyrone?
Testing Accessibility

screenexile

Quote from: INDIANA on January 11, 2016, 11:18:45 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on January 11, 2016, 07:52:23 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on January 11, 2016, 03:08:25 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 11, 2016, 02:12:18 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 11, 2016, 02:09:49 PM
Hang on now. I'm a big fan of club teams, but to suggest that a Crossmaglen team, ramping up for an All Ireland Club Semi Final, beating a Kildare team getting ready to start the O'Byrne Cup, indicates that they'd beat most county teams is stretching it.

With the best will in the world, the best club teams in the country would be beaten by 25 county teams at least, if they met when both were mid season.

They still might beat Offaly mind you :)
Mind you its one of those ones hard to disprove. I still think Cross have more county standard players than the current Armagh squad!

This type of gibberish amply illustrates the mentality that creates the cultural vacuum which those Cross lads that have the potential to play county football have to be brave enough to push through. It's an unnecessary, poisonous culture that damages our county unfortunately. Cross and every other club's players should be proud enough Armagh men to put themselves in harms way to see if they can make it for the county to be able to put their best foot forward.
I second that. Cross deserve all the credit in the world for their achievements, but non-Crossmaglen (Armagh clubmen) people worshipping at the Cross altar and basking in some sort of reflected glory sickens my hole and it really isn't good for the County team.

Current Vincent's team would beat 15 county teams at least. And Cross too.

I think this is right up there with your most stupid/ridiculous statements of all time!!