Jamie Clarke,the GAA's answer to Stephen Ireland?

Started by T Fearon, January 05, 2016, 09:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

general_lee

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 08, 2016, 11:21:16 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on January 07, 2016, 07:32:54 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 07, 2016, 06:03:34 PM
This thread reminds me of Russell Crowe in Gladiator growling at the crowd "are you not entertained?!!"

Is that what Clarke is, a slave who's life should be lived and conducted at the beck and call of the GAA and its supporters?

The man owes NO ONE outside of his family and friends any explanation or justification.

Agreed it's just that people shouldn't pretend he's a great player because he isn't. He's achieved nothing to be considered in that bracket.

Entitled to do whatever he wants like any man but he's not entitled to think he can be considered anything but an average player at county level
There are two players now departed the Armagh squad that it has been my privilege to see playing for both club and county, both at superb in their respective positions. Aaron Kernan and Jamie Clarke, neither committing to county and I'd say geezer is the issue with his demands. IMO Geezer is making the mistake of believing that every player should work and train like he did, some don't need to.
I'm not sure about this. Some of the players have said they'd run through walls for McGeeney. Why play top level sport if you arent willing to exert yourself? I'd always thought AK would be the type of player to thrive in such an enivorment which is why I was always shocked when he did hang the boots up; part of me feels there is something personal there - based on nothing other than my own opinion I might add. With Jamie, you might have a point, I think he once said something along the lines of "you can't kick a weight over the bar". That's true, but you still need to be able to break a tackle. Or three in his case. Conor McGregor said a good one recently "I'm not talented, I'm just obsessed". I think that should be nailed to the door of every changing room in the country.

snoopdog

Quote from: general_lee on January 08, 2016, 12:26:52 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 08, 2016, 11:21:16 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on January 07, 2016, 07:32:54 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 07, 2016, 06:03:34 PM
This thread reminds me of Russell Crowe in Gladiator growling at the crowd "are you not entertained?!!"

Is that what Clarke is, a slave who's life should be lived and conducted at the beck and call of the GAA and its supporters?

The man owes NO ONE outside of his family and friends any explanation or justification.

Agreed it's just that people shouldn't pretend he's a great player because he isn't. He's achieved nothing to be considered in that bracket.

Entitled to do whatever he wants like any man but he's not entitled to think he can be considered anything but an average player at county level
There are two players now departed the Armagh squad that it has been my privilege to see playing for both club and county, both at superb in their respective positions. Aaron Kernan and Jamie Clarke, neither committing to county and I'd say geezer is the issue with his demands. IMO Geezer is making the mistake of believing that every player should work and train like he did, some don't need to.
I'm not sure about this. Some of the players have said they'd run through walls for McGeeney. Why play top level sport if you arent willing to exert yourself? I'd always thought AK would be the type of player to thrive in such an enivorment which is why I was always shocked when he did hang the boots up; part of me feels there is something personal there - based on nothing other than my own opinion I might add. With Jamie, you might have a point, I think he once said something along the lines of "you can't kick a weight over the bar". That's true, but you still need to be able to break a tackle. Or three in his case. Conor McGregor said a good one recently "I'm not talented, I'm just obsessed". I think that should be nailed to the door of every changing room in the country.
Conor mcgregors a c**k.

StGallsGAA

QuoteI'm not sure about this. Some of the players have said they'd run through walls for McGeeney

Can you tell us which Armagh players have said that?

The Aristocrat

Fair play to Jamie.

Anyone know how much MccGeeney is getting paid for the Armagh job, got paid a fortune in Kildare. Is there a lot of money in Armagh GAA?

rrhf

All his meals are paid for.. Supposedly he has a gold card for whatever orchard he chooses..

armaghniac

Quote from: StGallsGAA on January 08, 2016, 02:29:40 PM
QuoteI'm not sure about this. Some of the players have said they'd run through walls for McGeeney

Can you tell us which Armagh players have said that?

I think they said they'd run through walls from McGeeney
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

FYI the originator of this thread had a late brother who represented his county at all levels,and kept a career as a Doctor going simultaneously and who also won a Sigerson medal in 1982, after playing a semi final on the Saturday then a final that went to extra time against a Galway/Mayo select,a mere 24 hours later,back in the days when men were men,and football was the priority, regardless of whether your prospects of success were high or low.

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on January 08, 2016, 06:46:45 PM
FYI the originator of this thread had a late brother who represented his county at all levels,and kept a career as a Doctor going simultaneously and who also won a Sigerson medal in 1982, after playing a semi final on the Saturday then a final that went to extra time against a Galway/Mayo select,a mere 24 hours later,back in the days when men were men,and football was the priority, regardless of whether your prospects of success were high or low.

Sure it is the women like Caroline O'Hanlon who do that sort of craic nowadays.
Anyhow, there were no baristas in the 80s.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Unlike Caroline he took no career sabbatical and had a young family to struggle with too.Real men in those days.

longballin

What has the originator of this thread done though? apart from sit on the sideline making snide comments. Not that long ago Tony you were making nasty comments about McGeeney. Clarke is entitled to do what he likes...

T Fearon

Not arguing about his right to do what he wants.Just saying he is letting his County and the GAA down.

T Fearon

Just look at the phenomenal commitment,through thick no thin,given by Monaghan's Owen Lennon who announced his retirement today.

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on January 08, 2016, 07:08:30 PM

Sure it is the women like Caroline O'Hanlon who do that sort of craic nowadays.
Anyhow, there were no baristas in the 80s.

Caroline was in Poyntzpass at Christmas for a charity 10k.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Line Ball

Sweet fcuk, a man who play football wants to have a life and live a bit.  Good luck to him.

LeoMc

And how many group sessions, individual sessions, etc were expected back then?
Did the dieticians and psychologists have a big say in the running of his life?