Most naturally talented

Started by gaafan123, November 19, 2006, 10:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TORGAEL

Its hard to nail this down to one player, so im not going to try. In no particular order : Anthony Tohill, Peter Canavan, Maurice Fitzgerald & Greg Blaney. Rarely did i witness any of these men having a bad game for their respective counties. Fabulous talent in different ways.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 20, 2006, 05:11:18 PM
declan mc crossan still plays for his club, and is still a great player.  Good athlete and brilliant left foot. Opted out of tyrone panel at start of 2004, got married and built a house.  Hes pretty young yet, dont think he would be older than 26/27

Im not suggesting McCrossan is anywhere near the most naturally talented player Ive ever seen (though incidentally he would be by some distance the best player I personally ever played against, had to mark him once in a Scottish Universities match) but its a shame he opted off the Tyrone panel a few years back, he could have been a key man for many seasons and would probably still make it onto most county panels in Ireland. Unlucky for him that Philip Jordan came along at the same time.

Hard to say who the most naturally talented player is because you dont really know who has the natural talent and who has worked their backside off to improve but suppose Canavan must be a contender and I love watching Brian McGuigan play when he is at his best. Donnellan in 98 too, fantastic.

stephenite

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 20, 2006, 05:01:07 PM
Ignoring the stupidity of limiting this thread to Ulster I would have to go for Maurice Fitz. Every day you see him he astounds you. I still cannot get over some of the thnigs I saw him do the last time I saw him 12 months ago. No-one I've seen comes close to him in terms of natural talent.

Nail on the head

lynchbhoy

Donnellan was superb, Tohill the best footballing midfielder of his era, Jacko on a par there imo though

Maurice fitz was as brilliant and as elegant at 19 as he was later on in his career - and a gentleman.

Ballyhaise - Although folks laugh, Connolly was a superb footbaler, but more of a stopper - though I will admit a natural at that position. Cavan folk who never saw him at their best will never realise how much they missed out on.

Max - the Derry malaise continues, this year we have yet another manager who couldnt spell tactics let alone use them. Derry have to realise it is no longer 1940 and the long ball 'let it in high to the full forward' trick doesnt really work any more.

With the right supply, Geoff would have been a match winner.
Sure Derry are still refusing the kick the ball properly into Paddy B and any man in the full forward line, and our results speak for themselves. IMO the players are not to blame. Tyrone have won two all Irelands with less talented players.

blasmere

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 20, 2006, 10:26:53 PM
Max - the Derry malaise continues, this year we have yet another manager who couldnt spell tactics let alone use them. Derry have to realise it is no longer 1940 and the long ball 'let it in high to the full forward' trick doesnt really work any more.

With the right supply, Geoff would have been a match winner.
Sure Derry are still refusing the kick the ball properly into Paddy B and any man in the full forward line, and our results speak for themselves. IMO the players are not to blame. Tyrone have won two all Irelands with less talented players.

No offence Lynchboy, but that is absolute bullshit. Tyrone had loads more talented players than Derry during those two All-Ireland wins - O'Neill, Cavanagh, McGuigan, Canavan, Jordan to name but a few

The Bottom Brick

How many Derry players would make a full strength Tyrone starting team?

I'd say the full back(name escapes me!), Paddy Bradley, Fergal Doherty, McFlynn if he was fit maybe...

There's not too many in fairness. Oak Leaf tinted spectacles there Lynchbhoy...
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

Billys Boots

QuoteOak Leaf tinted spectacles

The mind boggles!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Hank Everlast

Oisin Mc conville..
Eye for a score, cool under pressure, ability to always find space... His record speaks for itself!

Springfield

Derry players on tyrone team

Kevin Mc Guckain
SM Lockhart
Niall Mc Cusker if fit
F Doherty
Eoin Bradley
Enda Muldoon
Paddy Bradley

There is also question marks over Tyrones strenght in depth after last season.Only O Neill, Dooher, Cavanagh, D Harte, Gormley, Mc Guigan and Mc Menamin are of any worth

lynchbhoy

OK I mentioned Derry

Hard for you to accept. I have been saying the same thing for about a year and other examples were Dublin and Mayo.

This time last year most people would have laughed at the notion of Dublin or Mayo being strong teams.

There is only one side in Ireland that imo they have 15-20 top notch footballers - Kerry.

The rest have a mix of great & good players and a smattering of out and out athletes.
This was enough to win Tyrone and Armagh the all Ireland titles.

To go back to the topic of the thread,the current Kerry football side are almost all naturally talented.
the same cannot be said for the bulk of all other county teams.
:)

Sky Blue

Jimmy Keavney. The talent shown out past the beer belly. He was the most naturally talented footballer without a doubt. If he had quit the drink and applied himself to his sport, God only knows what he could have achieved.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: Springfield on November 21, 2006, 01:45:01 PM
There is also question marks over Tyrones strenght in depth after last season.Only O Neill, Dooher, Cavanagh, D Harte, Gormley, Mc Guigan and Mc Menamin are of any worth

Thats not fair to be honest, no team in Ireland could have lost as many key players as Tyrone did this summer and not suffered, its not about strength in depth when youre missing so many leaders.
Surprising also to suggest the likes of Philip Jordan, Eoin Mulligan, Enda McGinley and Joe McMahon are not of any worth. Im sure there are plenty teams who would love to have these worthless players on their team ;D

rosnarun

the only argument is the order

M donnellan(and maybe for natural talent John too)
M fitz
p canavan
Pspillane
J oshea
Dara ose

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Bensars

Lots of good suggestions, but my  answer  to the question in terms of skill alone, not achievement or  longevity, would be,

Peter Canavan
Greg Blaney
Seamus Downey
Martin Mc Hugh
Cormac Mc Anallan
James Mc Cartan
Tony Boyle

Of those Canavan and Blaney above the rest. Hard to seperate, one the master provider, one the master finisher

thewobbler

Don't mean to speak ill of the dead Bensars, but what McAnallen achieved in the game was testimony to hard work, intelligence and application, and not natural talent. To even mention him in the same thread as players like Canavan or Blaney is wrong.

And quite where you plucked Seamus Downey out of, I just don't know.