Most naturally talented

Started by gaafan123, November 19, 2006, 10:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

QuoteHardly, for the vast majority of his career he failed to score from play against us.

Surely for the majority of his career Armagh weren't around for him to score against?

full back

Is it only recently that Armagh were founded? ::)

maddog

QuoteSurely for the majority of his career Armagh weren't around for him to score against?

if that's the case how can he have been the "bane" of Armagh? ::)

OkeyDoke

Padraig Brogan - never made the most of his talent though

winghalfun

Yes, it is one of these recurring topics and like the last time it came up my answer would still be the same.

Anthony Tohill.
The player had great all round attributes - fielding, kicking, defending and attacking.

Yes, Peter's skill level at turning, twisting and tormenting was second to none but big Ant had that little bit more to offer.

6th sam

A competely subjective opinion,apologies for the Down and Ulster bias:
P.Canavan----despite relatively small stature,he has been the most effective player of his generation.
G.Blaney--the ultimate combination of brain and brawn.
F.McGuigan--natural ability in spades,but apparent lack of application led to underachievement.
J.McCartan-in late teens,early 20s brought a level of excitement unparallelled by anyone
M.Connor -ruthless finishing,especially under pressure.
B.Mason--star of the show in otherwise limited Down teams,brought Loughinisland to championship victory in an extremely competitive era of club football in Down(Burren etc.).

Billys Boots

Ignoring the fact that Ulster is the centre of the universe, it's hard to see past Matt Connor and Maurice Fitz, though I'd have a soft spot for John Egan too.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

brokencrossbar1

QuoteIgnoring the fact that Ulster is the centre of the universe,

You see Billy, this thread was for the most naturally gifted in the last 20 years and we all know football only began whenever Down beat the meath dogs in 1991 ;)

Anyroads, Matt Connor, maurice fitz, Canavan, fat Corkery, and myself in my pomp ;D

full back

BC1, Did you play full back in your underage days with the Rangers?

brokencrossbar1

No full back, I was always the devastingly skillful attacking midfielder/forward, and a consummate liar too ;D

uselessfootballer

As the thread relates to Ulster players in the last 20 years and refers to natural talent rather than achievement or consistency I would have no hesitation in putting forward Ger Cavlan, certainly the most naturally talented player I have seen play for my own coounty (never seen Frank McGuigan live). Unfortunately Ger's achievements and consistency have fallen short of his ability but when on form an absolute joy to watch. Even last season I mind a point against Armagh at Casement Park scored from near the corner flag.

hows she cutting

recently

Stevie O'Neill in top form is a joy to watch
Brian Mc Guigan, remember watching him for Dungannon Acadamey when they won the Hogan, always thought he'd be too light to make the grade at senior inter county level but boy was I wrong. An absolute class act

stevie from Killeavey - fantastic footballer
Mc Donald on form again ye'd pay any money to watch him
Gooch - beautiful natural talent, he just caresses the ball over the bar

Billys Boots

QuoteAnyroads, Matt Connor, maurice fitz, Canavan, fat Corkery, and myself in my pomp

Thanks for the bellylaugh BC!  :P  Are ye sure the 'fat' is in the right place in the sentence there?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...