Most naturally talented

Started by gaafan123, November 19, 2006, 10:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Jinxy on September 18, 2008, 12:07:28 AM
Can't be arsed reading pages of Ulster-centric nominations so if he hasn't already been mentioned I'll throw in Graham Geraghty.
The thread was started by Gaafan 113 who asked
"Who in your opinion is most talented ulster player of last 20 years?"
You'll have to forgive some people who have understood and answered that question, for being Ulster-centric :)

Hardy

That's no excuse MS. You know damn well it would have become Ulster-centric anyway!

(Whisper - do our Ulster friends not notice that we never get threads on here entitled "Best Leinster Midfielder Ever" or "Hairiest Connacht Defender Of the Seventies").

guevara

As an Ulster man I have no problem saying Maurice Fitzgerald was the most naturally gifted footballer in my opinion.

Canavan was immense but couldnt do things that Fitzgerald could. Frees, sidelines all came the same to Fitz.
Blaney too was a genius on the ball and a hard fecker but in terms of pure ability Fitzgerald done things on the field that other players wouldnt even try in training!!
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

the milkman

Honestly think that Marty Clarke would have been the naturally gifted footaballer if he had stayed! Different Class

Leo

Quote from: 5 Sams on September 19, 2008, 01:05:26 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on September 18, 2008, 11:24:50 AM
Is Blaney considered better than Linden? I always thought that Linden was considered the best Down player of that era?

Mickey would tell you himself that he wouldnt have achieved what he did (2 All Irelands, player of the year in 94, etc, etc) without Greg.

As someone said above.... that Down team of the early 90s was blessed with brilliant forwards...but who was holding the conductors baton???

I remember chatting to Peter Quinn...and he said Blaney was THE best he ever saw....high praise indeed.

Two of the toughest half backs of the modern game - Stephen O'Brien, Cork, and Liam Harnan, Meath, both rated Blaney their best opponent. Good call.
Naturally gifted doesn't always mean flair - we all have different gifts. Most of Blaney's were natural but he was a worker as well.

If limited to Ulster in the last 20 years, then I go for Tony Boyle on the basis of the criteria in the question.

Fierce tame altogether