Most naturally talented

Started by gaafan123, November 19, 2006, 10:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

Bensars

Quote from: thewobbler on November 22, 2006, 10:11:47 AM
Don't mean to speak ill of the dead Bensars, but what McAnallen achieved in the game was testimony to hard work, intelligence and application, and not natural talent. To even mention him in the same thread as players like Canavan or Blaney is wrong.
And quite where you plucked Seamus Downey out of, I just don't know.

your some knob. You have the check to come on and critique an  opinion but dont post your own selection.
Just looked at your previous posts and it seems you are a self appointted know all on all subjects.

Cormac did have a natural talent that was also harnessed with a hell of a lot of work and effort. Thats the difference why he made it to the top while a lot of natural skilled lazy players dont. In relation to seamus downey, he was a great player but for a dodgy knee and could have achieved possibly a lot more.

This is only my opinion, i respect the others who have posted their opinions and certainly will no lower my self at cheap shots.

brokencrossbar1

Bensars,  i tend to agree with wobbler on this.  McAnallan was a hard working, clever player and a great leader but was not one of the most naturally gifted players.  There is nothing wrong in saying that, he had other talents that many other players do not have.  He was the type of player who rarely made mistakes but rarely did anything that would make you catch your breath and say wow.  To me a naturally gifted player is the sort of player who could do things that would make you want to watch them over and over again, and McAnallan in my opinion was not one of those players.

As for Downey,  he was a slimmer and fitter version of me and I am definitely not naturally gifted.

Uladh

come on now bensars. cormac was an exceptional footballer but not an exceptionally talented one. he worked extremely hard and was very adaptable. i would say the best thing about cormac's game was that he always seemed to take the right option in posession.

Bensars

goldenyears

downey wasnt as dirty as you bc!! he hadnt those elbows sharpened quite like you had!! ;D

brokencrossbar1

I am getting fed up with this constant digs at me about being dirty.  I am a very misunderstood player by referees and have had one or two indiscretions which have tainted my reputation.  The deftness of my touch and my lightning pace were always my greatest attributes :P

thewobbler

Bensars, sorry I thought the title of this thread was "most naturally talented", not players who made it to the top through hard work and effort. If that makes me come across as a self appointed know it all, so be it.

The most naturally talented players I've seen have all been mentioned on this thread. In no particular order: Ja Fallon, Kieran McDonald, Colm Cooper, Maurice Fitzgerald, Peter Canavan, Greg Blaney, Brian McGuigan, James McCartan, Diarmuid Marsden, Padraig Joyce, Oisin McConville, Eamon O'Hara, Colm O'Rourke, Larry Tompkins, Martin McHugh, Pat Spillane, Michael Donnellan.

Other players who made me go 'wow', but I wouldn't quite put in the league of those above include Greg McCartan, Anthony Tohill, Mickey Linden, Trevor Giles, Darragh O Se, Ray McCarron, Tommy Dowd, Ger Houlihan, Joe Brolly, Tony Boyle, Bernie Flynn, Paddy Bradley, Dessie Dolan, Declan Brown, Mattie Forde, Raymie Gallagher, Dermot McCabe,  Sean Cavanagh.

full back

Ah c'mon BC1 - granted some of your flicks and deft touches to the wee man, crow and Oisin were excellent and resulted in plenty of scores but lightning speed!! I had you down as more of a man whose stamina shone ;)

Back to Bensars - Not being anything close to an expert but I find it astounding you find fit not to include Maurice Fitz in that list.I think even Stevie Wonder once commented on his talent

Spiritof98

Quote from: goldenyears on November 22, 2006, 11:24:27 AM
downey wasnt as dirty as you bc!! he hadnt those elbows sharpened quite like you had!! ;D

I have played against both men, BC-Clumsily aggressive. Downey (note Hurling match) Dirty Bas'*@d.
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Bensars

Quote from: full back on November 22, 2006, 11:44:18 AM
Back to Bensars - Not being anything close to an expert but I find it astounding you find fit not to include Maurice Fitz in that list.I think even Stevie Wonder once commented on his talent

Can i refer to the person who started the thread and the question posed within that initial posting.
May i also draw your attention to the bit in it that refers to Ulster ?

Not being anything close to an expert myself, and correct me if im wrong here, but was the aforementioned Mr. Fitzgerald not a native of county Kerry ? ???

Bensars

Fair enough wobbler i accept your points

full back

Bensars,
My apologies regarding Ulster. I thought you were following the general gist of the thread, which seems to have gone on to talent in Ireland. :'( ::)

goldenyears

BC-Clumsily aggressive

are you gonna take that BC? an insult in my book!

brokencrossbar1

If that is all I have been called over the years I would be happy ;D  They couldn't get me on the pitch so they try to hurt me from behind the safety of their computer screens.  I am happy to be a successful, clumsy, aggressive player :D