YOUNG GAA PLAYERS ATTACKED

Started by Teachtaire, November 04, 2008, 09:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teachtaire

I see that four young lads from Sarsfields were attacked on Sunday on their way to a match in Dunloy by a loyalist mob. The thugs threw a banger at the car when they noticed the boys were wearing GAA jerseys. The banger exploded causing the windscreen to shatter and according to reports the PSNI looked on and did nothing to apprehend the culprits.

Heres some questions for our 26 county brethern to consider:

Can you imagine being endangered simply because you wear a GAA jersey?
Can you appreciate the risks that Gaels have to take in the 6 cos simply to be members of the GAA?

It is interesting to note that this attaked occurred in the wake of Gregor Campbell's comments in which he demanded that the GAA become "progressive"

I have yet to hear Mr Campbell codemn this attack on these lads - but sure who cares they're only GAA men.

It still goes to show that ambiguous statements from loyalist politicians will provide the encouragement - if any is needed - to unleash the bitterness and bigotry that defines loyalism.

But as Campbell cackles about the need for the GAA to change it is evident that his efforts would be best spent trying to change the attitude of his followers to become more tolerant and accepting of others, But, hey, then again pigs might fly and I'm not talking about the new PSNI helicopter.

orangeman

Plus ca change ....................

Bud Wiser

QuoteHeres some questions for our 26 county brethern to consider:

Are you inferring that your 26 county brethern are ignorant of the facts relating to what happens, and has happened in our other six counties.  If you are then you have a lot of considering to do yourself.

QuoteCan you imagine being endangered simply because you wear a GAA jersey?

yes, can well imagine, endangerment is one thing but getting out of a helicopter that lands beside a young lad while he was actually playing a game and hitting him in the face with a rifle butt like what happened in Crossmaglen some years ago was worse.  I fairness, the boys from Cross did something about it.

The actions of these thugs should not be let go without redress and surely, as a first step, the PSNI who were present and did nothing are as guilty as the ones with the firecracker.   That being the case, try contact Gerry or Martin, they are now all inclusive members of the PSNI, which a lot of your 26 county brethern are not particularly happy about.

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

orangeman

Quote from: Bud Wiser on November 04, 2008, 10:00:53 AM
QuoteHeres some questions for our 26 county brethern to consider:

Are you inferring that your 26 county brethern are ignorant of the facts relating to what happens, and has happened in our other six counties.  If you are then you have a lot of considering to do yourself.

QuoteCan you imagine being endangered simply because you wear a GAA jersey?

yes, can well imagine, endangerment is one thing but getting out of a helicopter that lands beside a young lad while he was actually playing a game and hitting him in the face with a rifle butt like whet happened in Crossmaglen some years ago was worse.  I fairness, the boys from Cross did something about it.

The actions of these thugs should not be let go without redress and surely as a firts step the PSNI who were present and did nothing are as guilty as the ones with the firecracker.   That being the case, try contact Gerry or Martin, they are now all inclusive members of the PSNI, which a lot of your 26 county brethern are not particularly happy about.

They wouldn't want to upset anyone at a very delicate time for the peace process - do you not know that we're at a very important crossroads in the entire peace process ??  ;)

corn02

yes, can well imagine, endangerment is one thing but getting out of a helicopter that lands beside a young lad while he was actually playing a game and hitting him in the face with a rifle butt like what happened in Crossmaglen some years ago was worse.  I fairness, the boys from Cross did something about it.

Eh what's this now?

illdecide

Quote from: corn02 on November 04, 2008, 10:36:07 AM

Eh what's this now?

corn i reckon someone's blowing bubbles...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

winsamsoon

This is the first i have heard of the gun butting incident aswell . Please do tell more.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

lynchbhoy

to be fair Bud,
I'd say 95% of people south of the border do not know of any let alone some of the events that happen - incidents that are the persecution of people simply because they are members of GAA or players of Gaelic games.

these incidents were part of the problem that helped kick off the move to fight back and use of guns etc in the late 60's early 70's
so this kind of crap still goes on.
the psni are noted for intentionally doing nothing 'for' nationalists in ni.

disgraceful then and disgraceful now.
I wish more people would hear about these atrocious incidents - though similar happens rugby teams from Donegal and presumably Cavan and monaghan as well when they play awaygames throughout ni in the 'Ulster league' & cups

Maroon Heaven

Quote from: Teachtaire on November 04, 2008, 09:35:05 AM
] and according to reports the PSNI looked on and did nothing to apprehend the culprits.

Whose reports......

Main Street

There was a report of a car on the Westlink sustaining damage to the windscreen after being hit by a firecracker.

aroundincircles

CAR LOAD FROM MY CLUB WHICH INCLUDED TWO PENSIONERS AND TWO PLAYERS WHERE ONCE STOPPED BY UDR/RIR/UVF HELD FACE DOWN WITH A GUN TO THE BACK OF THEIR HEADS. WHEN THROW IN TIME CAME THEY LET THEM GO AND SAID TO THEM ENJOY SECOND HALF YOU FENION C**TS. THIS WAS A REGULAR OCCURRENCE IN 70"S 80"S AND EARLY 90"S. WE THEN OPEN CROKE PARK TO THEM WITH OPEN ARMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Main Street

What has the opening of Croke Park got to do with the UDR?

thejuice

Well those of us down south can only be aware of this if its reported. I think this incident which ultimately only resulted in a broken windshield wont be considered news worthy and will largely go un-noticed. I got chased down a street in England one time as I passed bunch of skin-heads/national front types hanging around outside a pub. To my surprise I guess they're somewhat aware of GAA jersies or maybe it was just my accent. But that was just once in my lifetime and not a regular occurance so go figure.

I'd like to see the GAA and members of the Unionist community actively show that some work is being done on the issues of getting more of that community involved. At the moment I dont see a whole lot going on. Are will still playing the waiting game for them to come around?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

aroundincircles

Gaa followers in south where unawhere of this type of thing but this was a common accurrance week in week out the british propaganda machine made sure yous did not hear about.Rte banned the only voice we had at the time sinn feinn{agree with them or not they were the only voice we had} every nationalist and gaa player over 35 in the north of ireland can tell these tails. Especailly those in areas that where more hostile too british occupation.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: thejuice on November 04, 2008, 10:10:44 PM
Well those of us down south can only be aware of this if its reported. I think this incident which ultimately only resulted in a broken windshield wont be considered news worthy and will largely go un-noticed. I got chased down a street in England one time as I passed bunch of skin-heads/national front types hanging around outside a pub. To my surprise I guess they're somewhat aware of GAA jersies or maybe it was just my accent. But that was just once in my lifetime and not a regular occurance so go figure.

I'd like to see the GAA and members of the Unionist community actively show that some work is being done on the issues of getting more of that community involved. At the moment I dont see a whole lot going on. Are will still playing the waiting game for them to come around?
yep largely this was never reported in the media
I have seen actual incidents that were turned completely around by the reporting media - giving an anti Irish/nationalist slant to their articles so the nationalists were the aggressors rather than the victims!

as for GAA not doing anything about it and playing the waiting game, we have little choice
if one side dont want to play ball, theres not much you can do other than wait.