IFA tagging on to GAA's apron strings

Started by T Fearon, October 30, 2008, 09:07:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

NIfan, I'm sure face to face not too many would admit it, but deep down that is, I believe, the main reason.

dublinfella

Quote from: magickingdom on October 30, 2008, 11:45:13 PM
i dont for one second believe that the vast majority (that doesnt include everyone btw ;D) of ni suppporters would ever share a stadium with the gaa. imagine if tomorrows international rules game was in a shared stadium in the north instead of the mcg the racket they'd be over anthems/flags/etc etc

there would be racket whatsoever, in the same way the GAA would have no input into anthems and flags when the soccer is being played.

the paranoia and placing of the GAA at the heart of every decision on this site is hilarious sometimes.

nifan

Quote from: T Fearon on October 31, 2008, 09:30:55 AM
NIfan, I'm sure face to face not too many would admit it, but deep down that is, I believe, the main reason.

Based on your prejudice I can understand why you believe that.

Rossfan

Quote from: dublinfella on October 31, 2008, 10:03:29 AM
Quote from: magickingdom on October 30, 2008, 11:45:13 PM
i dont for one second believe that the vast majority (that doesnt include everyone btw ;D) of ni suppporters would ever share a stadium with the gaa. imagine if tomorrows international rules game was in a shared stadium in the north instead of the mcg the racket they'd be over anthems/flags/etc etc

there would be racket whatsoever,

Are you sure you're not Timbuctufella  :D
Gregory Campbell would have a field day whinging and moaning not to mention about half a million others .......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

delboy

Quote from: Orior on October 30, 2008, 07:47:35 PM
Quote from: delboy on October 30, 2008, 05:41:36 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on October 30, 2008, 04:14:47 PM
Sorry, but I am still of the opinion that sharing with the GAA and the so called shrine were the major factors for the overwhelming majority of North of Ireland fans. Also I believe that the vast majority of people know damn well there is no viable site in Belfast for the stadium and have held out in the hope of a redeveloped Windsor Park which is again the preferred option of the vast majority of North of Ireland fans who simply want their wee stadium for their wee country. I also believe that Wells' preference for the Maze site was the prime reason for his removal

Sorry, without facts and figures, or even anecdotal evidence to back you up the above is merely the opinion of one individual and you know what they say about oponions and arseholes everyones got one and most of them stink  :D

Well, thats your opinion.

Exactly, although in my defence i will say that i have actually spoken to Northern Ireland supporters about this, i doubt very much if your man fearon above has.

iluvni

Reasons to oppose the Maze:

Arsehole of nowhere.
Football pitch dwarfed by GAA pitch dimensions.
Far too big for the needs of football

Main Street

nifan

I dont think concern about pitch size is blaming the GAA.
As it is however I dont think that it is as big an issue as some people  believe.
The fact that the pitchs are the same shape is better than a running track or dog track around the pitch which would need large spaces at either end od the pitch.

his holiness nb

Good point Nifan, the crowd in Croke park at soccer games are much closer to the pitch than many stadiums around the world with running tracks around them.
Ask me holy bollix

Main Street

nifan

Outside of here i am actually fairly relaxed, i blame the gaa

Main Street

Gnevin

Quote from: iluvni on October 31, 2008, 01:21:28 PM
Reasons to oppose the Maze:

Arsehole of nowhere.
Football pitch dwarfed by GAA pitch dimensions.
Far too big for the needs of football

Not going to get into the in's and out's of this but i have heard no complaints about soccer in  Croker and that on the biggest GAA pitches around .

Looking a gift horse in the mouth comes to mind here , carry on like this and no will agree and  no one will get anything .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Main Street

I have heard plenty of complaints about the distance away from the game in Croker.
But plenty of soccer people would moan about anything GAA related.
I haven't been there myself to see a soccer game.

I have been in plenty where there's a running track around the field and it doesn't compare favourably to where the crowd are right on the line.
Distance from the field of play is a factor.
For NI fans, distance from a field where they can play, may well be a factor in times to come.