iMac

Started by ziggysego, October 24, 2008, 04:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Thinking of replacing my PC with an iMac. Anyone know what I should be looking out for.

I want to seriously get into web design and multi-media design, so would need to be good enough for that.
Testing Accessibility

Main Street

You should be looking for an iMac then.

westmayo

Check out their website www.apple.ie, you can order them from there. They'll give you a run down on the specs. They range from just under €1,000 up to under €2,000 if you want to go for the desktop. I went for a Macbook pro myself a few months ago on the advice that it was as powerful as the mid range desktops and will do what ever you need. Also you can still use all your old windows programes on it through bootcamp which lets you run either Macs own OX operating system or Windows as your OS.
Check out the refurb store at http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/irlstore.woa/wa/RSLID?sf=w4KK97TTT9DU4XPU2&nclm=Certified you can find one there with a couple of hundred euro off and get the same guarntee as a new one.

ziggysego

Good man westmayo, thanks.
Testing Accessibility

Main Street

Does refurbish mean anything more than a bit of spit and polish?

The 20" looks grand on its own but when you see it beside the 24" then it would take some mighty willpower not to go for it.
Bigger screen is about 50% better.
Going for the top of the line 3.06 is not worth the extra expense imo

A similarily equipped all in one, the  Dell XPS ONE would cost a bit more and have less specs.

Parallell Desktops software is actually quite good for running Windows for all the basic stuff, not games.
It's a pain to restart for Boot Camp Windows if you like to interchange regularily.