The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Declan

Would love it if Leinster won the semi - Are they due a good one?

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Main Street on April 12, 2009, 09:50:17 PM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on April 12, 2009, 07:49:32 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on April 12, 2009, 07:41:27 PM
Will the semi final at Croker be an instant sellout or should tickets be easily available?

What do yus think?
Definite sellout. Greatest occasion in Irish sport, Grand Slam year, binmen vs. lawyers etc.  ;)

Greatest? 
Irish Provinces have already won the HC 3 times
Munster have already tanked Leinster in the HC s/f or q/f
The Rugby success is very welcome but it's a sideshow, more like bonus entertainment.
You'd have 2 million peole welcoming home the soccer team if they won the EC.
You get about 20k welcoming home the Rugby boys after an outstanding gritty display at Cardiff.

Leinster looked very very fortunate to scrape by a poor looking bedraggled Quinns.
Munster look to be in another class altogether. 
Munster by a  Kerry mile.

Jaysus BNM you caught a big one there, the semi will be a great occasion but rugby is still a minority sport that probably gets more media coverage than it deserves but professional soccer has had it's day in the sun and Euro 88 and World Cup 90 will never be repeated, the common man has long departed from that scene.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

QuoteLeinster looked very very fortunate to scrape by a poor looking bedraggled Quinns.

Yea a fantastic defensive performance against the form team in England yet it was fortunate, yet if it was Munster it would be epic, seriously some people haven't a clue if they thought Leinster were fortunate.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Was in Thomond yesterday for the stroll in the sunshine. Seriously though, it was only that Munster got all the breaks that made it such a beating. Ospreys threw in the towel after Munsters second try, and Munster took advantage of it. Definitely some lucky breaks though. Earls first try could have been forward from Mafi's brilliant offload, O'Connell's try came from two very tight decisions regarding ball in/out, Earls second try must have been millimetres from being tackled into touch. One of those days. Munster were impressive though, and i thought Warwick, Mafi, Wallace, Leamy and the Locks were immense. The ovation Bull got coming off was huge, and well deserved. Tony Buckley looked hungry when he came on as well.

As for Leinster, that was a great game, and a great defensive performance. They do seem to have gone into their shell regarding running rugby, but no one can question their heart. I watched in the Locke Bar yesterday after the Munster game, and someone called them ladyboys. About 10 people turned around to him and one of them said 'Are you f*cking Joking? Are you watching this?'. And it wasn't me :)

The Locke was full of Munster fans, watching away, and when 'Quins scored the try, about 15 of them in the middle of the crowd went mad, come on 'Quins. The reaction of the rest of the crowd was funny. It was like someone farted at a funeral. When they missed the conversion, the penalty and the drop goal, the Pub went mad.

I think this thing of hating Leinster for the sake of hating Leinster is going away a bit. I know we'll be very nervous heading up to Croker on the 2nd May, that's for sure, but if Munster can't win another one, I'd like to see O'Driscoll pick up one. The fear for me was always that Leinster would win one before Munster, and defeat in 2006 would have been sickening.

This would be sickening too, but I think Munster would get over it. I'm not sure they would have in 2006.

Still doesn't mean they won't be going all out to win it mind :D

Tankie

Got tickets for the Semi - Final this morning. I aint even sure if i am looking forward to it as i fear the worst but it will be a great day for Irish Rugby.
Grand Slam Saturday!

ludermor

AZ,
were you in the gang singing the black velvet band at the game?

Main Street

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 13, 2009, 03:39:28 AM
QuoteLeinster looked very very fortunate to scrape by a poor looking bedraggled Quinns.

Yea a fantastic defensive performance against the form team in England yet it was fortunate, yet if it was Munster it would be epic, seriously some people haven't a clue if they thought Leinster were fortunate.
Leinster defended magnificently and deserved it, I don't know what a form team mean in England but it did not show in Quin's kicking and their guile in front of the posts yesterday.
Only a blind person :)  could fail to see that Quins were unfortunate not to get the ball grounded in a much better position for conversion than where they did eventually get their try. In such a game that is what is defined as fortune and misfortune - not the late drop goal attempt or long range penalty.
I couldn't give a real toss for either Munster or Leinster, I have no axe to grind with either, I am equally impressed with either when they perform.

brokencrossbar1

Will the fact that Munster won so comfortably and Leinster had to scrap to win have a bearing on the mindset for the semi.  I know Munster are the masters of preparation but there may be a certain level of complacency in their game.

BTW AZ, an Offaly man from cheering against Leinster, you are a true bandwagoner :P

thejuice

TO be honest, i dont know if many beyond the Pale follow Leinster. I cant say I do. I would watch it and hope they win of course but wouldnt be calling myself a supporter. Think Munster appeal more to us cultchies though I wouldnt be a supporter of them either.

Maybe its the 'Come On You Boys In Blue' cheer that subconciously puts me off  ;)
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

tyrone exile

Anybody know where to get a few tickets?
If you hold a 10-year croke park ticket, would that give you an option to buy one?

Gaffer

Quote from: tyrone exile on April 13, 2009, 02:17:56 PM
If you hold a 10-year croke park ticket, would that give you an option to buy one?

They are supposedly on sale on ticketmaster from yesterday but when I went to buy a couple it said none were available. ??? ??? ???
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

AZOffaly

Quote from: ludermor on April 13, 2009, 11:59:53 AM
AZ,

Most of Thomond Park was. In fairness Tommy got a good reception, just like the Leinster lads did last week. He had a little smile and a clap when that song was sung.

tyrone exile

Quote from: Gaffer on April 13, 2009, 02:58:35 PM
Quote from: tyrone exile on April 13, 2009, 02:17:56 PM

They are supposedly on sale on ticketmaster from yesterday but when I went to buy a couple it said none were available. ??? ??? ???
yeah heard the 5000 available were sold out with in 30 minutes.
Any other way of getting hold of a ticket?

ludermor

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 13, 2009, 03:08:08 PM
Quote from: ludermor on April 13, 2009, 11:59:53 AM
AZ,

Most of Thomond Park was. In fairness Tommy got a good reception, just like the Leinster lads did last week. He had a little smile and a clap when that song was sung.

Aye thought it was a lovely touch and fair play to him for playing along with it!

Gnevin

Quote from: thejuice on April 13, 2009, 01:30:22 PM
TO be honest, i dont know if many beyond the Pale follow Leinster. I cant say I do. I would watch it and hope they win of course but wouldnt be calling myself a supporter. Think Munster appeal more to us cultchies though I wouldnt be a supporter of them either.

Maybe its the 'Come On You Boys In Blue' cheer that subconciously puts me off  ;)
When we sing Molly Malone your blood must run cold so. I know a good few from beyond the pale who support Leinster.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.