The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: Blue and White on April 10, 2012, 09:25:29 PM
I posted on here a while back about how disappointed I was with the demotion of Brian McLaughlin but decided to wait and see who the new coach would be, expecting a big name or maybe someone with heineken cup experience.  I hope the new guy Anscombe continues the good work of Brian but surely its a massive risk appointing someone with no experience of European rugby.  Everyone wants to find the new Joe Schmidt but he came from france after a few years as the clermont number 2.  Would be great to see a few of the Ulster guys make the summer tour to NZ, certainly Tuohy, Henry, Cave and Wallace (the form 12 in Ireland) deserve to go.

You raise something I want to question . . . I didn't even realise Paddy Wallace was playing on Saturday until the final whistle went and he was wearing no. 12. He contributed absolutely nothing going forward and I hardly remember him touching the ball or having any impact on the game at all!

whitegoodman

Sunday was never going to be the type of game where Wallace skill set would shine at its best. However like the rest if his teammates he defended very well, something he has received fierce criticise of from the southern media.

It should be noted however that from Christmas he has been performing very well and is the form Irish 12. Having said that he is 32 and isn't the future and imo shouldn't therefore go to NZ imo.

Some shite spouted on here bout David humphreys. It pretty obvious that a few on here no nothing bout the man or Ulster rugby for that matter. Before humphreys and shane Logan came along Ulster were scrapping with the boys from the west as Ireland 3rd best team. mclaughlin deserves a lot of credit but so too does the other 2 guys.

Carmen Stateside

Ulster up at the half despite being a man down for ten minutes, they have showed great defense so far.

trileacman

Ah there the 2nd best team on the day. Luck and the absolutely peerless Ruan Pienaar was the winning of it for them. I was very impressed by Edinburgh, but for some bad luck ( the try, few knock-ons, no yellow for Ferris) they would have took the match today. They have few really outstanding players but their philosophy is brilliant and the key to their success. Bradley should really be given a bigger gig after this one. They copy Leinster in that they look to keep the ball moving, clear rucks quickly and move it on as soon as they can.

Laidlaw was terrific today, surpassed all expectation and fought to the bitter end. Match saving rip from a man almost 50% heavier than him and followed it with another one in the closing stages. Visser was also the best winger on display, great talent from a non-traditional rugby country.

Ulster play are pretty much the same as their mercenaries, big, rough and South African. Game is based upon a strong scrum, goal-kicker who can nail them from his own half and a big kicking Full-Back. After that it's all about crashing ball and making tackles. It has worked for them so far but I can't say it is particularly inventive or ground breaking. I think Leinster/Clermont will dispose of them with a relative ease in the final.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

dillinger

Bet them grapes tasted sour. :)

Dubh driocht

Think Trileacman"s analysis is pretty spot-on actually- with one disagreement though. I really enjoyed the Aviva atmosphere yesterday but the performance was not on a par with Thomond. Afoa and Henry were missed and the backs lacked creativity. Michael Bradley's stamp was all over Edinburgh- he should be a shoo-in to succeed Kidney.The weather made the occasion; it was like an AI semi-final but even Kerry would bring more supporters than Edinburgh. My one disagreement with TM is that whoever comes out of Bordeaux today will have their work cut out at Twickeham. If the medics can sort out the clear knee problems with Ferris, I reckon there is a destiny that Ulster are going to win it .

dillinger

Yes, most of his points are correct. Didn't see a well done Ulster among the post. Sour grapes indeed.

trileacman

Quote from: dillinger on April 29, 2012, 11:23:57 AM
Yes, most of his points are correct. Didn't see a well done Ulster among the post. Sour grapes indeed.

Am I from Edinburgh? Why would I have sour grapes?

As for Dubh I suppose that Ulster's defence will make them hard to beat and Pienaar's kicking will keep them within range of most teams. However I don't think they are operating near to the levels of Clermont and Leinster, two teams who have nailed down the traditional skills of the game and added some attacking flair to it. Edinburgh's scrum was weak and it cost them big time yesterday, Leinster proved a week ago that they can scrummage against Ulster and I'd say if Clermont are operating at the top end of the Super 14 they are bound to have a strong scrum.

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: trileacman on April 29, 2012, 12:44:49 PM
Quote from: dillinger on April 29, 2012, 11:23:57 AM

Am I from Edinburgh? Why would I have sour grapes?

As for Dubh I suppose that Ulster's defence will make them hard to beat and Pienaar's kicking will keep them within range of most teams. However I don't think they are operating near to the levels of Clermont and Leinster, two teams who have nailed down the traditional skills of the game and added some attacking flair to it. Edinburgh's scrum was weak and it cost them big time yesterday, Leinster proved a week ago that they can scrummage against Ulster and I'd say if Clermont are operating at the top end of the Super 14 they are bound to have a strong scrum.

The Leinster scrum creaked (and collapsed) more than once against Ulster last week, and that was without John Afoa - arguably the best tighthead operating in Europe at the minute - playing. As for Clermont, the Ulster scrum had the upper hand on them when they met at Ravenhill and both sides were full strength in the front row.

Yes, Ulster were poor yesterday, but they were still 10 points up during the final play of the game. In the past two games in Europe they've had to cut their cloth to suit what they were facing and they did it very well - because they won.
Clermont certainly weren't operating at a different level from Ulster when they played them in the pool - it was one win each from two very even games.
And knock-ons aren't bad luck - they're poor play.

Hardy

Just a perception, but it seems to me the amount of booing by Ulster supporters is way beyond the norm for rugby (with Leinster second, but by a good bit). Just about every decision, right or wrong, against their team is booed. And, for the first time ever, I saw a rugby player coming on as a sub for the opposition being booed because he was formerly an Ulster player. Is it the siege mentality or what?

trileacman

Quote from: Hardy on April 29, 2012, 02:20:46 PM
Just a perception, but it seems to me the amount of booing by Ulster supporters is way beyond the norm for rugby (with Leinster second, but by a good bit). Just about every decision, right or wrong, against their team is booed. And, for the first time ever, I saw a rugby player coming on as a sub for the opposition being booed because he was formerly an Ulster player. Is it the siege mentality or what?

Partitionist attitude. Are you Billy Sheehan in disguise?

gallsman

Some game. Shocking drop by Fofana at the end!

orangeman

Leinster lucky to get away there.

Clermont lost the game moreso than Leinster winning it - great excitement all the same.

Clermont will be kicking themselves and Fofana might get the same.

Gazzler

Quote from: trileacman on April 29, 2012, 03:59:35 PM

How can it be partitionist sure there are 3 ROI counties part of Ulster.

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: Gazzler on April 29, 2012, 05:07:45 PM
Quote from: trileacman on April 29, 2012, 03:59:35 PM

How can it be partitionist sure there are 3 ROI counties part of Ulster.

That one tripped Mr Sheehan up against Donegal on one occasion, did it not?