The Heineken Cup Thread

Started by Dinny Breen, October 09, 2008, 04:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Dubh driocht on January 14, 2012, 12:20:52 AM
Was at the game and Ulster were up for it from the off, I wasn't sure about Pienaar last year but he has assumed the David Humphreys role to make them tick - Ian Humprhreys was also good but the forwards stole the show- destroyed the famous Leicester front-row-especially Afoa and Mueller as well as what has come to be a regular master-class from Ferris. Could do a job for us at FB atSt Tiernach's Park on Sunday to allow Dan forward,
Swing Low was a piss-take at how far the former English Greats have fallen- without Geordan Murphy they had no balls.

On a similar note, former Ulster and Ireland great Andy Ward will attend his first GAA match on sunday when he will be part of the Antrim coaching staff at Casement against Tyrone
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

hsthompson

Geoff Tipps

oisinog

Quote from: whitegoodman on January 13, 2012, 11:58:52 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 13, 2012, 10:00:34 PM
Wow! That was some performance from Ulster - Tuohy, Henry, Trimble - put their hands up to Declan Kidney plus Ferris and Best are nailed on to start for Ireland. Irish rugby still riding high...

Id say Cave also put his hand up for what is a problem position.

Henry could be a very good bench option as he can play anywhere across the backrow whereas O Mahony and Jennings cant.

Great result for Ulster but they are always formidable at home and will need to back it up in France next week if they are to move to the next level.  A bonus point defeat could see them through, even as a best runners up.

Ulster are through a bonus point defeat will see them top the group provided clermont dont score 4 tries

Milltown Row2

How will the others fair today? Munster at home and Connacht away to Toulouse, They will get some hammering there I'd say
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

whitegoodman

Quote from: oisinog on January 14, 2012, 12:24:39 PM
Quote from: whitegoodman on January 13, 2012, 11:58:52 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 13, 2012, 10:00:34 PM
Wow! That was some performance from Ulster - Tuohy, Henry, Trimble - put their hands up to Declan Kidney plus Ferris and Best are nailed on to start for Ireland. Irish rugby still riding high...

Id say Cave also put his hand up for what is a problem position.

Henry could be a very good bench option as he can play anywhere across the backrow whereas O Mahony and Jennings cant.

Great result for Ulster but they are always formidable at home and will need to back it up in France next week if they are to move to the next level.  A bonus point defeat could see them through, even as a best runners up.

Ulster are through a bonus point defeat will see them top the group provided clermont dont score 4 tries

Ulster are on 19, Clermount on 11 with the expected 5 points coming against Aironi today to bring them to 16.  Even if Ulster get a losing bonus point and stop Clermount scoring 4 tries both teams would finish on 20 and Clermount would go through as group winners on tries scored.  Ulster would still have a decent chance of going through as best 2 runners up with 20 points.  To avoid all this better just to go there and win in France for the first time ever!! Big ask I no but this is probably the best Ulster team ever, better than the European Cup winning team even.

I expect Munster and Leinster to have qualifying sowed up this wkend but unfortunately Toulouse at -28 was too tempting for me.  The boys in green looked like they had ran out of steam last wk in aironi and a hammering could be on the cards.

mick999

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 14, 2012, 01:20:39 PM
How will the others fair today? Munster at home and Connacht away to Toulouse, They will get some hammering there I'd say

Connacht up by 3 :-)

http://globalsports.netne.net/

muppet

MWWSI 2017

screenexile

Was at Ravenhill last night and have to say it was thoroughly enjoyable. Good hype before the game, great crowd, and a friendly enough atmosphere. The 'Rockette's were dire but the rest of the build up was pretty good.

I was slightly apprehensive about going and supporting Ulster but I needn't have been. Having read the explanation about sweet chariot (it did freak me out a bit although it did seem tongue in cheek) I am convinced there is not a hint of sectarianism in the ground. The chants of 'easy easy' were met by a man head to toe in Ulster gear shouting "hey, shut up your not in Windsor park now ya eejits" which got a lot of laughs around the place.

My only bugbear would be the Northern Ireland flags waving about but in fairness they are red and white and there were only about half a dozen.

The game itself was unreal. I'd followmy rugby so wasn't expecting that. To a man they were unreal and could have had more tries. Cave was brilliant, the pack, Pienaar Trimble everyone really and particularly in defence they handles Tuilagi well and only slipped up once. Thought Murphy was excellent also but by God did Ferris thump him in the 2nd half!

All in all a very good experience the main selling point for me was price. In the games premier competition and probably the tie of the round the ticket was £20. The GAA are charging £9 into county games against Uni sides which is ludicrous. I'd imagine the Championship will be another rip off this year too.

Anyway I am now a proud Ulsterman and I'm looking forward to my next Heineken Cup match ... SUFTUM!!!

Capt Pat

Munster got through today a game early. I have seen a lot of criticism of them and their style and quality of play but to me it just looks like business as usual for them as they have always played unattractive winning rugby. They may well get a home quarter final now and that would have them almost in the semi finals. If they win the coin toss for a home semi final in the Aviva they might get to the final against Leinster.

I can see no flaws in Munsters game at the moment they are what they are and will be hard to beat.

Toulouse 24 Connacht 3 - I think you lost that bet WGM.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on January 14, 2012, 06:03:31 PM
Was at Ravenhill last night and have to say it was thoroughly enjoyable. Good hype before the game, great crowd, and a friendly enough atmosphere. The 'Rockette's were dire but the rest of the build up was pretty good.

I was slightly apprehensive about going and supporting Ulster but I needn't have been. Having read the explanation about sweet chariot (it did freak me out a bit although it did seem tongue in cheek) I am convinced there is not a hint of sectarianism in the ground. The chants of 'easy easy' were met by a man head to toe in Ulster gear shouting "hey, shut up your not in Windsor park now ya eejits" which got a lot of laughs around the place.

My only bugbear would be the Northern Ireland flags waving about but in fairness they are red and white and there were only about half a dozen.

The game itself was unreal. I'd followmy rugby so wasn't expecting that. To a man they were unreal and could have had more tries. Cave was brilliant, the pack, Pienaar Trimble everyone really and particularly in defence they handles Tuilagi well and only slipped up once. Thought Murphy was excellent also but by God did Ferris thump him in the 2nd half!

All in all a very good experience the main selling point for me was price. In the games premier competition and probably the tie of the round the ticket was £20. The GAA are charging £9 into county games against Uni sides which is ludicrous. I'd imagine the Championship will be another rip off this year too.

Anyway I am now a proud Ulsterman and I'm looking forward to my next Heineken Cup match ... SUFTUM!!!
Have you no shame man?  ;)

whitegoodman

Quote from: Capt Pat on January 14, 2012, 08:37:12 PM
Munster got through today a game early. I have seen a lot of criticism of them and their style and quality of play but to me it just looks like business as usual for them as they have always played unattractive winning rugby. They may well get a home quarter final now and that would have them almost in the semi finals. If they win the coin toss for a home semi final in the Aviva they might get to the final against Leinster.

I can see no flaws in Munsters game at the moment they are what they are and will be hard to beat.

Toulouse 24 Connacht 3 - I think you lost that bet WGM.ko

Lost it alright, connacht fought hard but bit disappointed in toulouse.

Munster would have given that castre team a hidden a few yrs back, they let teams stay in games these days, that's the difference from their prime.  They should reach the semi but one of leinster, clermount, toulouse would beat them and quins  and saracens would also give them a rattle imo

DuffleKing

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on January 14, 2012, 08:26:38 AM
Quote from: Dubh driocht on January 14, 2012, 12:20:52 AM
Was at the game and Ulster were up for it from the off, I wasn't sure about Pienaar last year but he has assumed the David Humphreys role to make them tick - Ian Humprhreys was also good but the forwards stole the show- destroyed the famous Leicester front-row-especially Afoa and Mueller as well as what has come to be a regular master-class from Ferris. Could do a job for us at FB atSt Tiernach's Park on Sunday to allow Dan forward,
Swing Low was a piss-take at how far the former English Greats have fallen- without Geordan Murphy they had no balls.

On a similar note, former Ulster and Ireland great Andy Ward will attend his first GAA match on sunday when he will be part of the Antrim coaching staff at Casement against Tyrone

Did he not bother with the Fermanagh game last week?

dec

Started OK for Ulster

Friday, 20 January 2012
Connacht    3 - 0   Harlequins    L
Penalties:
O'Connor            

Galway Sportsground

Gloucester    7 - 0   Toulouse    L
Tries:
May            
Conversions:
Burns