All-Stars 2008

Started by Real1995, September 21, 2008, 07:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

McMahon seemed to very much mark him from the front. I suppose with Tyrone's system you can be more comfortable with that as you know that if he wins it behind you a load of bodies will descend upon him whereas in true one one one you'd be scuppered so need to be mroe careful.

I still would think Donaghy deserves one. If you look at how much he has set up for Kerry through lay-offs this year you'd probably find it a lot.

O'Mahoney until yesterday looked good for one but he was very poor. He didn't seem to have the same fire in him as in previous games. Also he appeared scared of Kavanagh. He continually stood off him as he looked afraid of getting skinned and that led to giving Kavanagh the space to kick points.

The problem with best teams etc is Wexford have to get one and Cork have to, IMO, with the politics of it. Clarke was immense and should get one,then there'll be two token ones(possibly three depending on who gets the keeper) and the rest will be from Tyrone / Kerry. 

peterquaife

Quote from: hardstation on September 22, 2008, 04:08:33 PM
Surely Paddy Bradley will slabber his way to one again?

he should take lessons from you so

The GAA

No harma lads but gormley had a very poor year capped by a below par performance yesterday.

imtommygunn

I would have to say I would say the same. I think there's no way Gormley merits an all star in front of Justin McMahon. Excellent no doubt and perhaps being judged on very high standards he previously set but don't think he merits an all star...

McMahon, Ricey, Davy Harte and Jordan should be the four main contenders in defense from Tyrone. Were one of those four to lose out I'd guess Davy Harte. There wouldn't be much between him and Jordan though.

bannside

All star and player of the year by a country mile......... Enda Mc Ginley.

Asal Mor

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Gary Connaughton of Westmeath for the No. 1 jersey. Great year - very few goals conceded, some brilliant saves, very safe hands and huge kick outs.
Up front I wouldn't give Donaghy an all-star. He had a couple of good games though I felt his influence was overstated. Yesterday though he didn't get a sniff in spite of a huge amount of high ball played into the Kerry full forward line in the first half. Caught one ball in the second which led to a gooch point and that was his total  contribution for 70 minutes. Tommy Walsh did a lot more and was unlucky to be taken off. Can't understand people who rate Donaghy above Gooch. IMO not fit to lace the boots on his sweet chocolate feet.

Puckoon

saffron sam2

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Puckoon

Peter Canavan - that was funny.

saffron sam2

Sorry, I thought you felt my All-Star team was very good. I cut and pasted from my 2005 All-Stars post.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

ONeill

McMenamin, Justin McMahon, Harte, Jordan, McGinley, Dooher and Cavanagh should get one.

Gormley and Joe McMahon may.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Bogball XV

I still think Donaghy is Kerry's most important player - he can wreak absolute havoc in any game.  Someone was saying that he was quiet against Galway, and whilst Hanley had a good game, Donaghy set up the goal and I presume a few points (but don't remember), you've also got to look at how much attention he draws from opposing defenders, freeing up space for the rest of them.
In the NFL final, Niall McCusker had an excellent game on him, but he still was instrumental in Kerry's 2 goals. 

longball

Ronan Gallaher
Ryan McManamin   Justin McMahon  Marc O'Se
Tomas O'Se         Conor Gormley    Philip Jordan
          Enda McGinley         Dara O'Se/Ryan                               
Brian Dooher        Colm Cooper       Kieran Lyng
K Donaghy          Sean Cavanagh   Ronan Clarke
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

mouview

Quote from: Bogball XV on September 22, 2008, 10:26:48 PM
I still think Donaghy is Kerry's most important player - he can wreak absolute havoc in any game.  Someone was saying that he was quiet against Galway, and whilst Hanley had a good game, Donaghy set up the goal and I presume a few points (but don't remember), you've also got to look at how much attention he draws from opposing defenders, freeing up space for the rest of them.
In the NFL final, Niall McCusker had an excellent game on him, but he still was instrumental in Kerry's 2 goals. 

Give me Gooch any day (even on one leg!). Donaghy can be marked with a bit of planning, Cooper not at all as easily.

orangeman

So it's all over now -

Young player of the year - Probably Tommy Walsh as Justin has got himself an all star at 3

1. Cluxton
2. Mc Menamin
3. Justin Mc Mahon
4 Lynch
5 Harte
6 Gormely
7 Tomas O'Se
8. Mc Ginley
9. Darragh O'Se
10 Dooher
11 Gooch
12 Lyng