All-Stars 2008

Started by Real1995, September 21, 2008, 07:16:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Real1995

So the season has drawn to a close, firstly congratulations to Tyrone, no one can say anything other that they were deserving winners.....So here is mt All Star team for 2008...

1.Stephen Cluxon
2.Ryan McMenamin
3.Justin McMahon
4.Anthony Lynch
5.Davey Harte
6.Conor Gormley
7.Tomas O'Se
8.Dara O'Se
9.Enda McGinley
10.Brian Dooher
11.Declan O'Sullivan
12.Mattie Forde
13. Gooch
14. Sean Cavanagh
15.Michael Meehan
Nice guys always finish second!

J70

Why the obsession with Cluxton?

Is he really that far ahead of other keepers that he has to be the default choice?

Real1995

2b honest i agree wit u, but if u look are other county teams there is just no other outstanding candidate.. McConnell had a great game today but didn play in enug games thou

pintsofguinness

Quote from: J70 on September 21, 2008, 07:20:19 PM
Why the obsession with Cluxton?

Is he really that far ahead of other keepers that he has to be the default choice?

Agree, clearly default choice/token dub - take your pick
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ExiledGael

Hard to argue with that but the Cluxton call is ridiculous. Ronan Gallagher should have a major chance in goals.

Aaron Boone

Tyrone currently have 31 All-Star awards from down the years.

FromAFar

Quote from: Real1995 on September 21, 2008, 07:16:31 PM
So the season has drawn to a close, firstly congratulations to Tyrone, no one can say anything other that they were deserving winners.....So here is mt All Star team for 2008...

1.Stephen Cluxon
2.Ryan McMenamin
3.Justin McMahon
4.Anthony Lynch
5.Davey Harte
6.Conor Gormley
7.Tomas O'Se
8.Dara O'Se
9.Enda McGinley
10.Brian Dooher
11.Declan O'Sullivan
12.Mattie Forde
13. Gooch
14. Sean Cavanagh
15.Michael Meehan

I think its a very open call for all stars this year, only really 4 certs as far a i can see..........

1.Ronan Gallagher
2.Conor Gormley
3.Justin McMahon
4. Ryan McCluskey
5. Davey Harte
6. Aidan O'Mahoney
7. Tomas O'Se
8. Shane Ryan
9. Enda McGinley (Just about shades it)
10. Brian Dooher
11. Redmond Barry
12. Ciaran Lyng
13. Colm Cooper
14. Sean Cavanagh
15. Michael Meehan

gorm agus bui

Cannot believe that Cluxton has been suggested. We had the same nonsense in the 90s when Neil Collins missed out to O'Leary.
Although there was no outstanding keeper, I would agree that Gallagher is the best of the bunch.
McGinley for me is Player of the Year.  Was always a fan but this year he has been outstanding though overshadowed today by Cavanagh
I don't think we would have beaten Tyrone in the Marshes if he had played

FromAFar

Does Matty Forde really deserve an allstart this year? ::)

J70

Quote from: AFS on September 21, 2008, 07:55:26 PM
1. Gallagher - Fermanagh (no outstanding candidate really  :-\ )
2. McMenamin - Tyrone (should be in the half back line where he really shone but moved back to make way for O'Se)
3. McMahon - Tyrone
4. Lynch - Cork (not outstanding but there has to be some Cork representation in the team)
5. Harte - Tyrone
6. Gormley - Tyrone (will prob get one here, even though he rarely played this position and wasn't all that great overall this year)
7. O'Se - Kerry (not outstanding but token Kerry back)
8. Cavanagh - Tyrone (in midfield to make way for a few Kerry men in the forward line) POTY
9. McGinley - Tyrone
10. Dooher - Tyrone
11. Barry - Wexford
12. A Brogan - Dublin (token Dub)
13. Cooper - Kerry (again not at his terrific best this year but in to boost Kerry numbers)
14. Walsh - Kerry YPOTY
15. Forde - Wexford

When trying to pick this team it was really striking how few outstanding candidates there were for many of the positions. This in part is probably due to the overall championships being essentially spurred on by a collective effort rather than individual displays, but it must also be said that the overall quality of the championship this year was disappointingly way below average again.

No one should be named at the expense of someone else just to "boost Kerry numbers" or because "there has to be some Cork representation in the team" or as a "token Dub". Players should be selected because they were the best in that position. This quota shite is a load of bollocks every year.

Real1995

Cavanagh my player of the year.....

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Philip Jordan hasnt been mentioned so far which is strange, a massive influence for Tyrone in the All-Ireland series.

J70

Quote from: AFS on September 21, 2008, 08:16:08 PM
I agree but this is the way that the allstars are picked. Cork got to an All Ireland semi final and will have to get at least one for this achievement, even though when you look closely at them they were pretty shit for most of the year apart for the 2 or 3 ten minute patches when they decided to actually try to play a bit of football against Kerry.

It may be the done thing, but it doesn't mean its right. The All Stars should be awards for the best players, not recognition of the teams who got furthest in the championship, with the awards doled out proportionately according to where the teams finished. If teams have to be recognized, then create another set of awards that do so and let the All Star awards do what they are supposed to.

Gnevin

Shouldn't be a single Dub on the team this year . Other than that its wide open
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Maiden1

Quote from: FromAFar on September 21, 2008, 08:04:37 PM
Does Matty Forde really deserve an allstart this year? ::)

Yes.  Main player for Wexford who got to semi final.  Would have a bag full if he played for a better team.
There are no proofs, only opinions.