Is the North is a strange place?

Started by Silky, September 18, 2008, 10:02:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

Quote from: Tubberman on September 19, 2008, 12:45:21 PM

This defensiveness might be understandable given the troubled recent history, but it is a different mentality/outlook/trait than those of us from the 26 counties. That's not anyone's fault, but it's the way things are.

I'm not so sure it is defensiveness. It is more a case of trying to offer an explanation to the questions posed. It's quite obvious some have different outlooks and opinions or the questions wouldn't be posed in the first place. It's often the case when we ask a question we already have our minds made up to what the answer is and have no intention of change it. The question is asked merely to hear the opinions of others so you can then respond with yours in the hope they will subscribe to your point of view.

Quote from: Tubberman on September 19, 2008, 12:45:21 PM
Edit: I forgot to mention that almost every North-related thread on this part of the board, whatever it's original post, descends into one of the following: Nationalist v Unionist, Catholic v Protestant, GAA v OWC, Celtic v Rangers.
It seems (from the outside looking in) to be the same people having the same old arguments over and over. Do you never tire of it??

You V Me, Men V women, alien v predator blah blah blah. There are many categories which threads fall into. The ones you mentioned are cherry picked. Did you really expect this thread to take on any other divide than it did? The purpose of the thread was to cater for this divide.

Arthur_Friend

"I forgot to mention that almost every North-related thread on this part of the board, whatever it's original post, descends into one of the following: Nationalist v Unionist, Catholic v Protestant, GAA v OWC, Celtic v Rangers."

Well this thread so far is proving you wrong. Also, I think you'll find that the type of threads you mention are almost private arguments between the same 3 or 4 people on either side. Tiring and very boring...

Hardy

Quote from: Maguire01 on September 19, 2008, 01:22:55 PM
Can you give a few specific examples of things that those in the north do differently than those in the south/US/Canada/Australia?

The say things like 'wile' and 'bake' and 'wheen' and 'our boy'.
Pullin and draggin.
White lines instead of orange at the sides of the roads.
Flags everywhere.
Some of them say 'hi' at the end of sentences.
They wonder what religion each other are.
They keep saying 'whenever'.
They paint their kerbstones.
Churches everywhere.
They care about the Railway Cup.
They call this place "The Free State". The rest of the world stopped doing that 60 years ago.
They say 'seen' instead of 'saw'.
They look backwards pessimistically to the future.
They are very modest in appraising their sporting achievements.
They march. A lot. Everywhere else only armies march. And only a little.
They produce good minor teams.
They're obsessed with motorbikes.
Their steeples are dreary.
They break our speed limits.
They wear sports tops a lot. Especially the women.
Their footballers are excessively hairy. Especially the women.

Aristotle Flynn

I think it is the link between religion and politics that may make us appear strange to some in the south.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

Zapatista

Quote from: Aristotle Flynn on September 19, 2008, 02:18:31 PM
I think it is the link between religion and politics that may make us appear strange to some in the south.

It's the same in the south. The difference in that there is a large majority of the same religion.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

bennydorano

I genuinely wonder how many Nationalists really want a UI.  I had an illuminating discussion one night with a couple of mates who you would loosely describe as Republicans and the overwhelming tone of the conversation was how much dislike they actually had for the Republic.  It's  a great idea in principle but I dont think it will ever happen as I do think an large percentage of Nationalists wouldn't vote for it in the privacy of a polling booth, plus we are not doing a big pile to change any Unionist hearts & minds.

Donagh

Quote from: bennydorano on September 19, 2008, 03:11:56 PM
I genuinely wonder how many Nationalists really want a UI.  I had an illuminating discussion one night with a couple of mates who you would loosely describe as Republicans and the overwhelming tone of the conversation was how much dislike they actually had for the Republic.  It's  a great idea in principle but I dont think it will ever happen as I do think an large percentage of Nationalists wouldn't vote for it in the privacy of a polling booth, plus we are not doing a big pile to change any Unionist hearts & minds.

As a republican I certainly wouldn't vote for the Mickey Mouse (or should that be Bob the Builder?) state that passes for a 'republic' in the Free State. For republicans an UI is only the first step toward the republic. 

Main Street

In free Ulster, I got the best of what it can be to an Irishman.
Born free and still an Ulsterman :)
And a naturally acquired pride in Irish culture and identity.

Just how many times did someone from the North driving southwards take a deep relaxed breath once they got passed Aughnacloy or bless themselves once they got onto the right side of the Castleblaney rd? ;D
Truly, the most sanctified area in Ireland.

Tubberman

QuoteAs a republican I certainly wouldn't vote for the Mickey Mouse (or should that be Bob the Builder?) state that passes for a 'republic' in the Free State. For republicans an UI is only the first step toward the republic.

You must want to completely isolate Northern Nationalists do you?? Can't agree with the unionists up the north and don't want to have anything to do with the republic either.
You do nothing to dispel the generalisation of Northerners being a cranky lot with a chip on the shoulder anyway.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Donagh

Quote from: Tubberman on September 19, 2008, 04:20:57 PM
You must want to completely isolate Northern Nationalists do you?? Can't agree with the unionists up the north and don't want to have anything to do with the republic either.
You do nothing to dispel the generalisation of Northerners being a cranky lot with a chip on the shoulder anyway.

I also doubt that our fellow countrymen of the unionist persuasion will want a mirror image of the southern state either when the UI comes, so that's probably something we can agree on.

armaghniac

QuoteI had an illuminating discussion one night with a couple of mates who you would loosely describe as Republicans and the overwhelming tone of the conversation was how much dislike they actually had for the Republic.

A large proportion of NI republicans are less nationalist than the typical Fine Gael voter.

QuoteAs a republican I certainly wouldn't vote for the Mickey Mouse (or should that be Bob the Builder?) state that passes for a 'republic' in the Free State.

And then you wonder why people in the 26 counties are not that warm towards people from the North? No doubt a UI will be more than just the 26 counties being extended northwards but it will inevitably more resemble the part of the country that has actual managed to run itself than the bit that hasn't.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

SidelineKick

Quote from: armaghniac on September 19, 2008, 05:06:51 PM
QuoteI had an illuminating discussion one night with a couple of mates who you would loosely describe as Republicans and the overwhelming tone of the conversation was how much dislike they actually had for the Republic.

A large proportion of NI republicans are less nationalist than the typical Fine Gael voter.
QuoteAs a republican I certainly wouldn't vote for the Mickey Mouse (or should that be Bob the Builder?) state that passes for a 'republic' in the Free State.

And then you wonder why people in the 26 counties are not that warm towards people from the North? No doubt a UI will be more than just the 26 counties being extended northwards but it will inevitably more resemble the part of the country that has actual managed to run itself than the bit that hasn't.

republican is a word that has been misused in recent years and i agree with armaghniac. i also feel that sinn fein have monopolised the phrase as well. anyone now who claims to be a republican but does not agree with sinn feins policies is immediately looked down upon.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

red hander

Quote from: Whitehair on September 19, 2008, 11:27:14 AM
Silky views mustn't be uncommon in the South, while down at Oxegen a girl from Cork started talking to a few from our crowd(Down & Antrim people) and after no longer than a minute talking to us she announced that we were, "more like Eng**sh than Irish!". Wee bint wasn't long getting told where to go! >:(

Hope you got the ride of this balloon before you told her to f*** off

The Iceman

having worked in different parts of the world with other Irish people in mixed offices I can definitely agree that Northerners are different

I'm from the North and I'm definitely proud of that and proud of the difference

The main one is that we are a defensive bunch and a lot more militant when someone does anything on us or steps on our toes.  In the business world we tend to be outspoken and constantly looking at the negative side of things first to see from where the next problem might arise.  Being outspoken is not always a bad thing - being able to speak your mind often opens a lot of doors - though sometimes it can get you in trouble.  Its finding that balance that's the challenge.

we are a lot different from our countrymen in the south but then that's true all over the world
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight