Ireland V Austrailia International Rules Official Thread 2008

Started by BallyhaiseMan, September 11, 2008, 04:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: plain man on September 18, 2008, 01:49:33 PM

If he gets picked for the IR, and I'm sure he will cos of his status, I hope he can show a bit more heart than he has since the end of July.

Thats a bit harsh in fairness. His shoulder pops out when he brushes his teeth FFS.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: plain man on September 18, 2008, 01:49:33 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on September 15, 2008, 11:05:37 PM
Quote from: plain man on September 13, 2008, 04:18:23 PM
I can't wait til this starts - never mind the pro's and con's etc. it is a decent spectacle...and the aussies and irish are pretty similar, and proud peoples - Aussies do find it hard to show respect to opposition though.

Hanley shud be a shoe in - the stories comin outta brisbane are great about him, fast and hard, one of the greatest players/managers, Leigh Matthews, holds Hanley in high esteem - which says alot. He looks the part.

Personally, I wouldn't have Kennelly anywhere near it.. I know I'll prob get abuse for this, but Kennelly has had a shit end of season, and he's not the bravest of players, dislocated shoulder/knee etc. and all. You rarely see him getting stuck in. He's great with the ball and running outta defence - but I don't think this game suits him.

Marty Clarke is a must...100% - no questions, especially since he'll be up against his manager.. And for a wildcard, Brendan Murphy from the Swans...good stuff being said about him, from people that know.

Not sure bout Begley, he's had a terrible year with injury and form.

I'd have Setanta on the team in a heartbeat, the commitment he gives is unreal, especially considering his management haven't a clue where to play him - unfortunately it looks like he'll not be available, due to injury.

You are talking about the best Irish player since Jim Stynes who is playing for what most people would call the most consistently good team of the last 6/7 years who pride themselves on being tough on the ball above all else and don't tolerate anyone slacking.....The guy is playing with a shoulder which dislocates on a consistent basis and comes back from multiple knee dislocations and most teams put a man marker on him.....He is more used to giving/taking hits than any Irish player and is wholly respected by the Australians unlike most of our other players...

Yeah, definitely the best Irish player since Stynes, because he has a premiership medal (Clarke will overtake hiim by 2011) but I've seen almost every match he's played this year, and been to 4 of them. He's had a below par year, by his own standards - he wants to go home, thats the long and short of it. He's been caught out a load of times this year, hanging around the ruck and not getting stuck in for the crumbs. He got 3, and 4 out of 10 for his last two games.

He gets press coverage cos he's a gentleman, an ambassador, and extremely articulate, plus he's been outstanding in the past - but being 29 soon, he is past his best.

If he gets picked for the IR, and I'm sure he will cos of his status, I hope he can show a bit more heart than he has since the end of July.

Not just cause he has a medal at all but for his standing in the game, his performances and his skill/ability.....He has been below par but considering he has had a number of knee dislocations, multiple shoulder dislocations including multiples during the same game where he gets it popped it in continiously....Not going in for crumbs due to his shoulder injuries or can you not understand that.....

How the f*ck can you critiscise him for his heart????

Bord na Mona man

I used to be fan of the game, but as time went on grew tired of it.
It still looks fairly clumsy and contrived.
The Aussies messing up on the gaelic elements and sadly too many Irish players being afraid of their lives and getting cleaned (more often than not legally) in the tackle.

For want of putting a finer point on it, there is an aspect of the Australian sportng pysche that I don't particular like. The boorish, macho, trash talking rubbish of many of their athletes would be more at home in WWE. A 6'4 brute taking glee in beating lumps off a 5'8 player, because the rules are lenient is cowardice rather than manliness IMO.

Sadly it also highlights where gaelic football is falling down. Long kicking and even goalscoring have been bettered by the Aussies. Also many Irish players have shown they are good at doing the cynical fouls, little digs or sneaky kicks, but when it comes to following up on this with a bit more fire, they are found badly wanting.

I think the fans are worse though. When Ireland win, the Aussies claim the game is 90% gaelic football. When the Aussies win and batter a few Irish, they start calling us wimps and sooks. When Ireland win, the crowing can be a bit silly too. Worse still is the crying when Ireland lose, "We're only amateurs!...Paddy Joe will have to teach 30 kids or deliver post with a bruised head".

Main Street

That would be the sum of my opinion of the game.

On the other hand if there is a team selected from the Gaelic ranks to compete then I'd want them to be prepared 100%.
The last time, the Aussies were also much better than the Irish at the gaelic bit.

The game itself doesn't evolve, it can't.

Bod Mor

I would advise anybody thinking of travelling to Melbourne for the 2nd leg on October 31st to get their accommodation asap. The Melbourne cup is on the following week as well and you would be lucky to get a hotel room. I got some sort of a place on Flinders street and it took me ages as everywhere was booked out. So if you are thinking or half thinking, get a move on!
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

ykickamoocow

Im a Sydney Swans fan and for all of you bad mouthing Kennelly you have to remember that he has been playing injured most of the season. His shoulder has been popping out atleast once or twice a game and before that his knee's were abit dodgy.

When in form Kennely is one of the Swans best and most influential players as he provides a huge amount of run out of defence. He is in my opinion one of the best Halfback's in the AFL and from memory in the last IR series Kennelly was also one of your best players.

plain man

Quote from: ykickamoocow on September 19, 2008, 03:37:55 PM
Im a Sydney Swans fan and for all of you bad mouthing Kennelly you have to remember that he has been playing injured most of the season. His shoulder has been popping out atleast once or twice a game and before that his knee's were abit dodgy.

When in form Kennely is one of the Swans best and most influential players as he provides a huge amount of run out of defence. He is in my opinion one of the best Halfback's in the AFL and from memory in the last IR series Kennelly was also one of your best players.

Yeah, granted, but if he's not fit to be on the field then he shouldn't be there?
He's been pulling outta tackles due to the shoulder, its obvious..i hope after the surgery in Nov that he'll be grand, but, we can't have someone playin for the Ireland team whose knee and shoulder are dodgy. I think he's a class act on his day, but not with the shit he is carrying.

ExiledGael

Kennelly has ruled himself out of the series due to injury in the last day or so. He's staying on to help with squad/morale etc but he's definitely not playing.

Doire abú

http://www.gaa.ie/plugins/newsfeed.cgi?rm=content&plugin_data_id=24494

Sydney Swans star Tadhg Kennelly has been ruled out of the upcoming International Rules Series after undergoing surgery on a groin problem.

The Kerry native is also due to have shoulder reconstruction surgery in the next fortnight after playing through the pain barrier to the end of the AFL season with both problems.

The Swans' Premiership campaign came to an end last weekend with a defeat to the Western Bulldogs and the 27-year-old has opted to go under the knife immediately.

"It's very disappointing," said Kennelly, who was a keen advocate of reviving the competition.

"I love playing for Ireland and getting to play with the round ball which I don't get the opportunity to do all year. I'll just aim to be back in Croke Park next year.

"Had we have continued on into September I probably could have played because I could have back the surgery and I would have only had to delay it three or four weeks but because we finished so early in the finals there would have been a six or seven week gap," he added.

HeaveHo

Kennelly is getting pretty banged up playing AFL. If he wants to play for Kerry again he needs to do it sooner rather than later because at this rate he will be a physical wreck at 30. From my experience playing AFL (local amateurs) the game is unforgiving on the body and Kennelly looks like he won'rt last much longer. From my watching of GAA Kennelly is going to lack the zip to be successful at that game if he limps back into Ireland after another 3-4 years of the AFL grind.

ykickamoocow

Quote from: HeaveHo on September 20, 2008, 03:04:48 AM
Kennelly is getting pretty banged up playing AFL. If he wants to play for Kerry again he needs to do it sooner rather than later because at this rate he will be a physical wreck at 30. From my experience playing AFL (local amateurs) the game is unforgiving on the body and Kennelly looks like he won'rt last much longer. From my watching of GAA Kennelly is going to lack the zip to be successful at that game if he limps back into Ireland after another 3-4 years of the AFL grind.

Its not unsuak for lots of players to need sergury after a season. For example the Swans have got 8 players going under the knife with injuries they have been playing with for large amounts of the season.

youbetterbelieveit

Irish team manager Sean Boylan has confirmed his backroom team for the 2008 International Rules series in Australia.

Eoin Liston, Anthony Tohill and Hugh Kenny will aide Boylan in his task as selectors, with Seán Walsh taking on the role of Tour Manager assisted by Tommy Kilcoyne.

Derry's Seán Marty Lockhart will act as a runner in both Tests next month.

Boylan said: 'We are very pleased with the progress and hard work undertaken by the squad in training to date. There has been a huge response from the lads who are enthusiastic about playing the game and representing their country.

'Now that the Championship has concluded we will have a clearer picture of the travelling squad over the next few weeks.'

Boylan also confirmed that Tadhg Kennelly has been ruled out of the International Rules series against Australia next month.

Kennelly will undergo a shoulder operation on Friday and is likely to be out of action for three to four months.

Down native Martin Clarke, who plays for AFL side Collingwood, has ruled himself out of contention with an ankle injury.

The GAA and the AFL have agreed a couple of rules changes to clean up the game.

Players will be suspended for domestic matches in their respective leagues should they be guilty of any disciplinary issues on the field over the course of the series.

Ireland will play Australia in two Tests at the Subiaco Stadium in Perth on 24 October and at the MCG on 31 October.

The referees for the Test games will be Pat McEneaney from Monaghan and Australia's Steve McBurney.

stephenite

Quote from: HeaveHo on September 20, 2008, 03:04:48 AM
Kennelly is getting pretty banged up playing AFL. If he wants to play for Kerry again he needs to do it sooner rather than later because at this rate he will be a physical wreck at 30. From my experience playing AFL (local amateurs) the game is unforgiving on the body and Kennelly looks like he won't last much longer. From my watching of GAA Kennelly is going to lack the zip to be successful at that game if he limps back into Ireland after another 3-4 years of the AFL grind.

To be honest, I'll be very surprised if Kennelly was to make a return to play for Kerry - any public utterances from him on the subject have been extremely well timed to coincide with contract negotiations

goldenyears

i bet clarke plays for his club in their relegation battle when he gets home!

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.