Mayo v Tyrone AI Minor Final

Started by REDCOL, August 31, 2008, 04:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

Hopefully Nally's crutches are just a precaution. I'd say both lads would gladly play through the pain barrier. Here's hoping they can

Heard that Mickey Harte is calling up Kyle Coney to the senior squad for the final and he can't play in the minor game  :o :o

Between that and Stevie O'Neill coming back, Harte is fairly reaching up his sleeve. Next thing Canavan will be back!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

the Deel Rover

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on September 04, 2008, 10:48:22 AM
Hopefully Nally's crutches are just a precaution. I'd say both lads would gladly play through the pain barrier. Here's hoping they can

Heard that Mickey Harte is calling up Kyle Coney to the senior squad for the final and he can't play in the minor game  :o :oBetween that and Stevie O'Neill coming back, Harte is fairly reaching up his sleeve. Next thing Canavan will be back!

jesus he would be a big loss to the minors is he really going to do that r&g or is that just a rumour?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

orangeman

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on September 04, 2008, 10:48:22 AM

Heard that Mickey Harte is calling up Kyle Coney to the senior squad for the final and he can't play in the minor game  :o :o

Between that and Stevie O'Neill coming back, Harte is fairly reaching up his sleeve. Next thing Canavan will be back!

;) :D

the Deel Rover

listening to canning on Ai final day will be like listening to a reading from the bilble " the messia issues his instructions to the prodical son while god keeps any eye on them from the stands"  ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

ludermor

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 04, 2008, 11:18:29 AM
listening to canning on Ai final day will be like listening to a reading from the bilble " the messia issues his instructions to the prodical son while god keeps any eye on them from the stands"  ;)
And most of the apostles had beards

dodo

the Deel Rover

some interesting stats here on the club mayo site re the minor championship would have thought that kerry would have won more than 2 since 1985

The Minor Football ChampionshipThe All Ireland Minor Football Championship was first contested in 1929 (first senior final was 1887) and in that first final Clare played Longford with Clare claiming the honours.

So in 2008 we have reached the milestone of 80 years of minor championship but in 1942, 1943 and 1944 no championship took place. For those who don't want to work it out that's 76 titles won to date and soon to be 77.

... and the major title winners are:

11 TITLES - Kerry
10 TITLES - Dublin and Cork
6 TITLES - Galway, Tyrone and Mayo
4 TITLES - Down, Roscommon and Derry
3 TITLES - Meath and Laois

THE 2008 SEMI FINALISTS
KERRY - last won in 1994 v Galway - played in only 2 finals since then, last final 2006 lost to Roscommon
MAYO - last won 1985 v Cork - played in 4 finals since then, last final 2005 lost to Down
TYRONE - last won 2004 v Kerry - last final 2004 (also played and won in 2001 and 1998)
MEATH - last won 1992 v Armagh - reached 2 more finals since then, last final 2002 lost to Derry

So of the 4 teams left in the 2008 semi-finals Tyrone are tops in terms of most recent success with 3 titles from 3 appearances in the last 10 years. Of the other 3, Kerry last bagged a title in 1994, Meath in 1992 and Mayo bring up the rear with 1985 - no doubt all three teams would like to bridge their respective gaps of 13, 15 and 22 years respectively !! Mayo need it most !!

Interesting too that Dublin (no 2 in all time titles) last won it in 1984 - that's 24 years including 2008.

MAYO MINOR RECORD IN FINALS
Mayo have reached the Minor final on 18 occasions and have won 6 times (highlighted and underlined)..
1930 Dublin , 1933 Kerry , 1935 Tipperary
1940 Louth, 1947 Tyrone
1953 Clare, 1958 Dublin
1961 Cork, 1962 Kerry, 1966 Down
1971 Cork, 1974 Cork, 1978 Dublin
1985 Cork
1991 Cork, 1999 Down
2000 Cork, 2005 Down

WINNERS SINCE 1985 WHEN MAYO LAST WON
Well, 10 counties have won the minor title in that 22 years.
Most successful have been Down, Tyrone, Cork and Laois with 3 each.
On 2 each are Galway, Kerry, Meath and Derry
Roscommon and Westmeath have 1 win each.

Just for comparison at senior level 10 counties have also shared the honours over the same time span. Kerry lead the posse with 6, Meath 4, Cork, Down, Galway and Tyrone have 2 each and with 1 win each Armagh, Derry, Dublin and Donegal. How have Mayo failed to make that group ???
There was no senior 'apperances' for Laois, Westmeath or Roscommon to add to minor success while Armagh, Dublin and Donegal seniors did it without and minor wins. With 7 out of the 10 counties (nice and easy 70% correlation) succesful at both minor and senior this would strongly suggest that success at minor level does generally bring similar success at senior level - and vice-versa one can assume.

And for tomorrows replay - no pressure lads but a step towards final number 19 and title number 7 would be nice and boy do we need it!!!!
Sitemapsite designed & developed by dara creative*©CLUB MAYO DUBLIN
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Over the Bar

QuoteAnd most of the apostles had beards

How do you know that?

Tatler Jack

QuoteThere was no senior 'apperances' for Laois, Westmeath or Roscommon to add to minor success

Give us a chance - it was only 2 years ago we won it!!

ludermor

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 05, 2008, 12:57:20 PM
QuoteAnd most of the apostles had beards

How do you know that?

Jesus f**king told me

m@yoman

I see the lads over on www.clubmayo.ie have posted details of their next members draw...they also have details of what they will be doing with an allocation of tickets if they get any as well...

Over the Bar

QuoteJesus f**king told me

George Bush, you are exposed as a board member!

muppet

Quote from: Over the Bar on September 06, 2008, 03:15:55 PM
QuoteJesus f**king told me

George Bush, you are exposed as a board member!

Nah, George can't type or spell.
MWWSI 2017

RedandGreenSniper

Is there much of a scramble for tickets? You would think that 1,500 would be plenty considering only 500 made it to the semi-final (first game) but the final will bring out a few no doubt

I wonder can we make an arrangement with our foes from the Kingdom to exchange support! The Tyronies will be out in force for both games I'd say

Game is on Setanta Oz for those of us out here. I'll need to be taking Monday off  ;D
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Tubberman

QuoteIs there much of a scramble for tickets? You would think that 1,500 would be plenty considering only 500 made it to the semi-final (first game) but the final will bring out a few no doubt

I wonder can we make an arrangement with our foes from the Kingdom to exchange support! The Tyronies will be out in force for both games I'd say

Game is on Setanta Oz for those of us out here. I'll need to be taking Monday off 

That 500 for the semi is the amount that got tickets through the clubs. I'm sure there were a lot of Mayo supporters who just bought tickets on the day or online through ticketmaster so I wouldn't place too much reliance on that figure.
I'm on the lookout for a ticket anyway, so anyone who's feeling generous can send me a PM  ;)
Btw, the weather forecast is very bad for practically all of Sept  >:(
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."