Mayo v Tyrone AI Minor Final

Started by REDCOL, August 31, 2008, 04:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: Barney on August 31, 2008, 07:13:44 PM
I suppose that's what is meant when they say kerry are never beaten.

Two very good teams in the Final.

Tyrone have probably had a more consistent Summer but Mayo have a very brave, hard-working bunch, that are physicaly strong and have had a very good result against a highly rated team.

Like with all minor teams it will all be on the day. Hopefully we get the breaks and make up for losses in 91, 99, 01 and 05.

Now has anybody got a spare ticket.

Christ Barney i hope you don t take this shit personally but that is the way this minor team is going to be presented to the masses by national and even local media. It s not the true picture imo. My doubt about this lot would have been whether Ray D. could mould them together. He s done a good job so far anyway, fair play to him. They re are as many or more gifted players on a Mayo minor team as I ve seen in this county [ they re in different league to the 85 team] so I dont understand where this dogged label has has come from that I ve been encountering . Kerry was overrated and that is not trying to dumb down the Mayo team. I think we could have beaten Kerry in U21 as well but we give some teams too much respect. Fair play to RD and the lads for adding steel and know-how to their undoubted class. They ve come a long way. Thing is Tyrone have a playing system in place for years  for teams in the county that means they will be very comfortable playing at a high level in the final. This Mayo minor team has come a long way and should nt get blown away anyway - unlike the 05 team that had lots of ability too but were like lambs to the slaughter on the day.

moysider

Quote from: INDIANA on September 02, 2008, 11:58:38 PM
should be a good final but personally i can't see beyond tyrone if they perform on the day.

Nobody in their right mind would I suppose. Sensible way to look at it no doubt.

moysider

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on September 03, 2008, 12:12:40 AM
Quote from: Son_of_Sam on September 03, 2008, 12:01:07 AM
Quote from: moysider on September 02, 2008, 11:52:58 PM
Quote from: Son_of_Sam on September 02, 2008, 11:41:39 PM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on September 02, 2008, 12:54:22 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on September 01, 2008, 01:16:27 PM
Yeah the Mayo lads are obviously spending a lot of time in the gym.

Not at all, its good oul fashioned work in the bog that has them built like shithouses. Sure them soft Castlebar lads have been contracting in the bogs of Mayo all summer to harden them up. Ya can't bate a hard day's work for sorting out a young fella

Castlebar lads soft!!!!!! Would ya ever pack it in, sure without Castlebar the rest of you would be lost all together  :D

?????? Dont get this????

Well I didn't get that.

Christ ye soft townies are fierce sensitive altogether!! :D

Not a townie although I can see why you make that assumption. I just did nt get it???

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on September 03, 2008, 12:27:25 AM

Not at all, its good oul fashioned work in the bog that has them built like shithouses. Sure them soft Castlebar lads have been contracting in the bogs of Mayo all summer to harden them up. Ya can't bate a hard day's work for sorting out a young fella

Castlebar lads soft!!!!!! Would ya ever pack it in, sure without Castlebar the rest of you would be lost all together  :D

?????? Dont get this????

Well I didn't get that.

Not a townie although I can see why you make that assumption. I just did nt get it???

Its a localised thing around Castlebar, we do always slag the townies about being too soft etc and how a good day's work in the bog would do them no harm  :D
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on September 03, 2008, 01:01:26 AM
Quote from: moysider on September 03, 2008, 12:27:25 AM

?????? Dont get this????

Well I didn't get that.

Its a localised thing around Castlebar, we do always slag the townies about being too soft etc and how a good day's work in the bog would do them no harm  :D

Sure all the Islandeadys, Ballas, Ballyhanes, Boholas not to mention the rest of ye blocking up our streets at the weekend so we can't get around our own town. Where would ye drink at the weekend, not to mention providing ye with a second level education. Christ your ungrateful shower  :D

Feckn Boggers, Covies & Culchies  ;D

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: moysider on September 03, 2008, 12:20:08 AM
Quote from: Barney on August 31, 2008, 07:13:44 PM
I suppose that's what is meant when they say kerry are never beaten.

Two very good teams in the Final.

Tyrone have probably had a more consistent Summer but Mayo have a very brave, hard-working bunch, that are physicaly strong and have had a very good result against a highly rated team.

Like with all minor teams it will all be on the day. Hopefully we get the breaks and make up for losses in 91, 99, 01 and 05.

Now has anybody got a spare ticket.

Christ Barney i hope you don t take this shit personally but that is the way this minor team is going to be presented to the masses by national and even local media. It s not the true picture imo. My doubt about this lot would have been whether Ray D. could mould them together. He s done a good job so far anyway, fair play to him. They re are as many or more gifted players on a Mayo minor team as I ve seen in this county [ they re in different league to the 85 team] so I dont understand where this dogged label has has come from that I ve been encountering . Kerry was overrated and that is not trying to dumb down the Mayo team. I think we could have beaten Kerry in U21 as well but we give some teams too much respect. Fair play to RD and the lads for adding steel and know-how to their undoubted class. They ve come a long way. Thing is Tyrone have a playing system in place for years  for teams in the county that means they will be very comfortable playing at a high level in the final. This Mayo minor team has come a long way and should nt get blown away anyway - unlike the 05 team that had lots of ability too but were like lambs to the slaughter on the day.
Christ I remember that now, Down took them apart all together, at least I got to witness a great Senior Final in Croker that year, but I was very surprised on how Down just beat us off the pitch.

RedandGreenSniper

The 2005 minor team had some very good players but they were an average team overall.
Five of that squad - Ger Cafferkey, Chris Barrett, Tom Cunniffe, Seamus O'Shea (who didn't start the final) and Aidan Campbell went onto start for the Under 21's winning the All-Ireland the following spring and Pearse Hanley was on the 2005 team too. But after that there was a fall off and we had a lot of average players and Mayo rode their luck against Kerry in that year's semi-final. Down were a very well rounded team with two or three exceptional talents - Clarke, Colgan, McCommiskey.

I would have said at the start of this year that we have five or six of this year's minor team with serious potential. Those lads have shown that but, more encouringly, overall Mayo seem well rounded, not relying on these five or six lads, and the management clearly have the team playing as a unit and that's why I'd have a lot more hope for this year's crew than 2005.

orangeman

The All-Ireland Minor Final between Mayo and Tyrone, which will take place on the same day, will be refereed by Rory Hickey of Clare.

Any opinions on this appointment ?

moysider

Quote from: orangeman on September 03, 2008, 12:27:35 PM

The All-Ireland Minor Final between Mayo and Tyrone, which will take place on the same day, will be refereed by Rory Hickey of Clare.

Any opinions on this appointment ?

Dont know the man.

There is however a story emerging which may be of more concern than the referee. Heard from a usually reliable  source that O Shea has a hand injury and may be a doubt. Green and Red Sniper should be able to confirm this. Or hopefully its a load of balls.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: moysider on September 03, 2008, 01:26:35 PM

Dont know the man.

There is however a story emerging which may be of more concern than the referee. Heard from a usually reliable  source that O Shea has a hand injury and may be a doubt. Green and Red Sniper should be able to confirm this. Or hopefully its a load of balls.
[/quote]

Red and Green sniper is to cagey Moysider  :) as the auld men say down here he  wouldn't let his left arm know what his right arm is doing ;) i was trying to get info regarding the breaffy team and west mayo was the man with the info untill red and green put a halt to his gallop :D isn't that right r&g
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

StoneWall

Aiden O'Shea has a dislocated thumb :-[

Jinxy

The Mayo full back line looked very solid the last day. They have a serious battle on their hands though against a very good full forward line. Physically Tyrone were much bigger and fitter than Meath the last day. They won't have that same advantage over Mayo.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

REDCOL

More bad news on the injury front. Aidan O Shea has a broken thumb. The Captain Shane Nally is on crutches today, suffered ankle ligament damage in Championship game on Monday Night. He is a big doubt for final. Our chances would be badly diminished if these two dont make it.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: the Deel Rover on September 03, 2008, 01:42:15 PM

Red and Green sniper is to cagey Moysider  :) as the auld men say down here he  wouldn't let his left arm know what his right arm is doing ;) i was trying to get info regarding the breaffy team and west mayo was the man with the info untill red and green put a halt to his gallop :D isn't that right r&g

Who me? Never!!! Outlandish accusations   :o  :o

Yeah Aidan's done his thumb from what I heard. Pretty sure its a break. He'll be out for the Cross game and a major doubt for the final now. Fingers crossed he'll recover because Mayo will struggle without him. And Breaffy need him back for the county semi-final  ;) :D ;)

kevmy

Broken thumb is nasty but I wouldn't rule him out of the final just yet. He has 2 and a half weeks so hopefully he can recover. At least he can do a bit of training anyway to keep fit. If Nally is on crutches then it not looking good it's difficult to go from ankle ligament damage to playing in that space of tiime