Mayo v Tyrone AI Minor Final

Started by REDCOL, August 31, 2008, 04:30:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedandGreenSniper

I'm still extremely disappointed with losing this game a few days later but the overwhelming I have is pride in these Mayo minors. I know a lot of people will wonder why someone from Mayo should be proud of a losing All-Ireland minor team, as if pride in them only perpetuates the cycle of losing but I think this was different.

We could have won the first game giving the winning position we had in injury time but in the replay Tyrone proved their undoubted talents and we'll be hearing an awful lot more about this bunch of players. Congrats to them, they were deserving winners. For Mayo to take them to a replay and then to extra-time was a fair achievement and very indicative of the character of these Mayo lads. I'd have great hope for a lot of them for the coming years.

Biased or not I have to say the performances of my two clubmates Robbie Hennelly and Aidan O'Shea were heroic. Shane Nally is an inspirational leader. Both midfielders were very impressive. Cathal Freeman has such wonderful energy that he'll be a Mayo wing-forward at senior level for as long as he wants. Aidan Walsh, for a lad in his first year at minor, has nerves of steel. Kevin Keane regrouped after an indifferent drawn game to reassure us of his ability at full-back. There is a lot to be taken from this year, even in defeat.

Tyrone were the better team, had the better strength in depth and that was the difference. But Mayo haven't lost that much in defeat. I didn't expect much from this team this year, despite the presence of a few talented footballers. I didn't think there was enough strength in depth through the starting fifteen. But they extracted the absolute maximum from their abilities. For them to have come so close was a great achievement. Now that they have come so close should be the spur for them to drive on and look for ultimate success in the future. The ultimate aim of a minor team, something mentioned by John O'Mahony after the game, is to develop players for the senior team in a few years. All the players I have named above have the ability and, crucially, the attitude, for inter-county senior football. MOre too could be included and others could develop in the coming years. Getting to and playing in two All-Ireland finals is a great learning curve for any young footballer. We had a decent enough minor team last year but they lost to Roscommon and so a lot of good players were denied the chance to develop their games further, by playing at the high level. It impacts on their prospects unfortunately. BY getting to a final this year's crop have developed immensely as footballers and as men. That's hugely important for the future.
A very encouraging end to the year for Mayo football.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

orangeman

Quote from: On_the_Couch on September 29, 2008, 07:05:57 PM
Quote from: mannix on September 29, 2008, 11:26:04 AM
I would say that he started it, i heard from a few close to that tussle that coney is a boyo for dirt, shame if he is because he is very talented.
Well done to all involved for a great spectacle and good luck to young coney should he make the move down under.

He's from Ardboe - they're not shy around the lough shore.

We'd be reserved - not shy !

On_the_Couch

Quote from: orangeman on October 01, 2008, 09:11:35 AM
I would say that he started it, i heard from a few close to that tussle that coney is a boyo for dirt, shame if he is because he is very talented.
Well done to all involved for a great spectacle and good luck to young coney should he make the move down under.

Ah yes, I have many happy memories of beautiful summer evenings and Sunday afternoons playing football among the midges and those reserved Ardboe men  ;D

orangeman

Quote from: On_the_Couch on October 01, 2008, 09:48:20 PM

Ah yes, I have many happy memories of beautiful summer evenings and Sunday afternoons playing football among the midges and those reserved Ardboe men  ;D

Sunday afternoons were always very relaxed as well. Pure bliss !

On_the_Couch

Quote from: orangeman on October 01, 2008, 10:39:22 PM

I wouldn't call pulling my lower lip off my teeth after they were embedded in it that relaxing, but they were certainly memorable occasions.   Before going out on the field we always had to make sure we had all our gear with us - boots, gloves, wing-mirrors, etc. :)

orangeman

Quote from: On_the_Couch on October 01, 2008, 11:25:03 PM
Quote from: orangeman on October 01, 2008, 10:39:22 PM

I wouldn't call pulling my lower lip off my teeth after they were embedded in it that relaxing, but they were certainly memorable occasions.   Before going out on the field we always had to make sure we had all our gear with us - boots, gloves, wing-mirrors, etc. :)

;) :D :D Great days indeed !

rrhf

orangeman

Fuzzman

Young Mckenna can certainly jump

orangeman

That's an unreal picture - pure class. What a leap - he must be up 15ft.

FL/MAYO

Free to Mayo, O Shea getting dragged down by the other Tyrone player. No wonder ye feckers won pulling and dragging like that ;)