Newry Co.Down

Started by boojangles, August 07, 2008, 02:47:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: armaghniac on November 17, 2008, 10:26:04 PM
QuoteMost are only buying drink and groceries anyway.

It said in the paper that some of more naive class of shopper were also stocking up on petrol!!

Read all about the new bypass which will facilitate getting past Newry at least.
http://applications.drdni.gov.uk/publications/document.asp?docid=14394

Ya sure they'd be that naive? What's petrol in the South? You could get it for 94p in Camlough today which might comapre favourably enough given the way the euro's gone.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

behind the wire

never thought id hear anyone say that Banbridge is good for shopping!!!! got a good sport/shoe shop but thats about it.

the outlet seems to get a good reputation in the south, car park is always full of southern reg cars.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

downgirl

Coming home today but won't be able to leave Cork before 1.30/2, how much of a tail back should I be expecting at Newry?  Is it really busy in the evenings still with the late night shopping??

:(

thewobbler

If you have to go through Newry, take the last exit before Newry, at the Carrickdale. You'll rejoin the Newry traffic more or less at the top of Dublin road that way, and probably miss out on a couple of miles of tailbacks.

downgirl

Where does that bring you out to wobbler?  Also rather than going through Newry is it an quicker going up the Belfast road going into Newry to end up at the roundabout at the Brass Monkey there?  Or is it just as bad?

brokencrossbar1

Are the tailbacks up the Motorway wobbler?  Heading up a few days before Christmas, but thankfully heading country wards to Cross before heading to Mrs BC's.  

A lad I work with is heading up from Cork this weekend to get his Christmas shopping and also the wine for his wedding.  The hotel is allowing them to provide their own wine and it is cheaper to buy in the north and pay a corkage charge.

thewobbler

The last turn for the Carrickdale takes you along the old Dublin road for about 3 miles and takes you out at old barracks, basically at the Cloghogue roundabout. There's never much traffic on it, so you should get a free run to there.

I don't know what you mean about coming in the Belfast road. The bypass around Newry will be locked up and slow moving from about 4pm-7pm. If you're coming in after 7pm, you should be able to sail straight through the normal way.

BCB - last Saturday week at 2pm they were tailed back as far as the Carrickdale on the M1. People were parked having picnics on the hard shoulder, and there were even vendors moving along the hard shoulder seelling coffee and soup. I'd avoid that last stretch if I can. Tell your mate to satnav via Forkhill if he can, or take that carrickdale turn at worst.

Open yer eyes Man

Quote from: downgirl on December 12, 2008, 08:51:17 AM
Where does that bring you out to wobbler?  Also rather than going through Newry is it an quicker going up the Belfast road going into Newry to end up at the roundabout at the Brass Monkey there?  Or is it just as bad?

This is the latest initiative to ease the flow of traffic from the border into Newry.  There are signs directing traffic to the Belfast side of Newry then turning them back into Newry, along the Armagh and Downshire Roads.  This is only going to make things worse for local people as the shoppers only want to go to the Quays (Sainsbury's off license to be precise) or the Buttercrane and have to go all the way through Newry to get there.

Who comes up with these mad ideas?  Newry has been a traffic hell hole for several years now but is 10 times worse, if that is possible.

lfdown2

surely if you leave cork at 2 you shouldnt be so bad!what time would you be expecting to hit newry at, i would say that yoou would be dead on

saffron sam2

Handy parking tips for free staters visiting Newry (based on experiences - Saturday 6th December 2008)

If you are parking in either the Quays or Buttercrane car parks, please observe the following etiquette.

1. Park between the white lines, not on top of them. This will allow the optimum number of cars to park in the car park.

2. If someone has the indicator on and is reversing into a space, manners dictate that you don't drive into the same space, miss Maroon Toyota driver 99-LH-4***.

Hope this helps.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

corn02

it btakes about 30 minutes to get from Clighue roundabout to B andQ now.

5 Sams

Was in the town last night and saw a D reg yoke outside Curleys offy loading up a horsebox with cases of drink:-\ Obviously a pub owner making the most of it.
The Aristocrat Years

Mario

Quote from: saffron sam2 on December 12, 2008, 09:57:09 AM
Handy parking tips for free staters visiting Newry (based on experiences - Saturday 6th December 2008)

If you are parking in either the Quays or Buttercrane car parks, please observe the following etiquette.

1. Park between the white lines, not on top of them. This will allow the optimum number of cars to park in the car park.

2. If someone has the indicator on and is reversing into a space, manners dictate that you don't drive into the same space, miss Maroon Toyota driver 99-LH-4***.

Hope this helps.
The Dublin drivers are just used to being ignorant cts.

downgirl

Quote from: lfdown2 on December 12, 2008, 09:45:07 AM
surely if you leave cork at 2 you shouldnt be so bad!what time would you be expecting to hit newry at, i would say that yoou would be dead on

I dunno, theres a new 40km stretch of the Cork-Dublin motorway open, so I will come off at Urlingford to get petrol and that will hopefully be my only stop, and with hopefully flowing traffic on the M50 i'd say maybe hit Newry at the end of rush hour.  Dreading it so much!!

Lecale2

I was in Newry last week. Took an hour to get from Greenbank Industrial estate to the Belfast Rd.

The filling station beside the Greenbank Roundabout is now pre-pay. I paid for £20 of diesel then drove off without filling up! :P