Ulster Senior Football Championship 2008

Started by Puckoon, April 16, 2008, 05:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doire abú

Sure he's had a couple good games through the years for Tyrone, but he's is so over-rated its unbelievable. Give me Canavan or McGuigan any day.

There's little doubt that Canavan and Mugsy's All-Stars in 2005 should've went to McGuigan and P Bradley, with Ross Munelly also more deserving.

I also love this myth of Bradley crying his way to an All-Star. Everyone keeps saying it, but when did he actually do it? I've seen interviews where the interviewee brought it up and all Bradley said was he was disappointed to miss out. What else should he have responded with?

I'm not Bradley's biggest fan either, but how he missed out in All-Stars in 2005 and 2006 I'll never work out. He was also deadly in 2004, but Muldoon, Forde and Gooch got the FF line that year (I think), and I think they all just shaded him. No-one can have any complaints about him getting one last year and there's one other year he was unlucky to miss out, 2000 or 2001 I think.

Puckoon

His seasons (note seasons, not games) were both great in 2003 and 2005, IMHO, and in the minds of pundits, many more experienced than you or I, even though he took a while to get warmed up in 05. This doesnt mean they are necessarily right of course. But for mulligans performances in both the dublin games in 2005 - tyrone would not have brought sam home. His link play with canavan in 05 - highlighted with the Goal in the final for peter were obvious examples of the class he had.

Unfortunately, since then he has struggled to find that form again and Id no longer rate him as one of the best forwards in the land, and Im sure few others would either. Where is this over rating you are talking about coming from?

Munnelly was definitely not more deserving than Mulligan in 05. Maybe Bradley was a toss up, but ultimately mulligans contribution in the later months of the summer probably swung it for him.

Of course you are correct about Brian McGuigans allstar.

Doire abú

Quote from: Puckoon on June 02, 2008, 07:08:59 PM
His seasons (note seasons, not games) were both great in 2003 and 2005, IMHO, and in the minds of pundits, many more experienced than you or I, even though he took a while to get warmed up in 05. This doesnt mean they are necessarily right of course. But for mulligans performances in both the dublin games in 2005 - tyrone would not have brought sam home. His link play with canavan in 05 - highlighted with the Goal in the final for peter were obvious examples of the class he had.

Unfortunately, since then he has struggled to find that form again and Id no longer rate him as one of the best forwards in the land, and Im sure few others would either. Where is this over rating you are talking about coming from?

Munnelly was definitely not more deserving than Mulligan in 05. Maybe Bradley was a toss up, but ultimately mulligans contribution in the later months of the summer probably swung it for him.

What about when the great public of Ulster voted him into the Ulster team of the decade (1995-2004) for the tenth anniversary of the Irish News All-Stars? And this was before the two good games and great goal against Dublin!!

Puckoon

Quote from: Doire abú on June 03, 2008, 12:16:23 AM

What about when the great public of Ulster voted him into the Ulster team of the decade (1995-2004) for the tenth anniversary of the Irish News All-Stars? And this was before the two good games and great goal against Dublin!!

Cant say much about that - its the Ulster public after all. Must have been more irish news sold in cookstown than the whole of Derry. Hes not a bad player. Better than you or me thats probably for sure. He had just been instrumental in bringing Sam to tyrone for the first time. Not sure what I can say after that.

Quote from: Doire abú on June 02, 2008, 06:50:47 PM

I also love this myth of Bradley crying his way to an All-Star. Everyone keeps saying it, but when did he actually do it? I've seen interviews where the interviewee brought it up and all Bradley said was he was disappointed to miss out. What else should he have responded with?

BTW - I dont think Bradley just said he was dissapointed - something along the lines of "wondering why Im continually over looked" or some such statement springs to mind, although I cant be certain. It was certainly more "woe is me" than just saying he was dissapointed. I guess that doesnt fit in with the perception of a GAA player for the public. Lord help is If McGourty is ever left out of the allstars!

orangeman

Did Glenullin or Derry not write to HQ crying about how PB wasn't picked for the Ireland team to face the Aussies ? He mighn't have been crying publicly - he got others to do it for him !

Will Hunting

Quote from: Doire abú on June 02, 2008, 06:50:47 PM

Tyrone people actually despise Paddy Bradley, and they are the ones who persist with this crying to get an All-star chat. Not sure exactly why, but I'm assuming it stems from the 2001 q-final, when Bradley's goal ensured it would be Derry in the All-Ireland semi-finals and not our esteemed Ulster Champions. He's scored consistently against them since (bar one day in Casement), so it is probably a hatred borne out of jealousy.

Ps - of course, the above does not apply to all Tyrone people, but generally speaking there is no love lost

whiskeysteve

Quote from: orangeman on June 03, 2008, 11:40:47 AM
Did Glenullin or Derry not write to HQ crying about how PB wasn't picked for the Ireland team to face the Aussies ? He mighn't have been crying publicly - he got others to do it for him !

im sure you could tell us all about paddys campaigning round glenullin for support in his quest for individual honours. you must be close to the horses mouth.

somehow i don't think you will get back to us with a credible souce for that shot in the dark anytime soon
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

tyrone86

Quote from: Will Hunting on June 03, 2008, 12:05:18 PM

Tyrone people actually despise Paddy Bradley, and they are the ones who persist with this crying to get an All-star chat. Not sure exactly why, but I'm assuming it stems from the 2001 q-final, when Bradley's goal ensured it would be Derry in the All-Ireland semi-finals and not our esteemed Ulster Champions. He's scored consistently against them since (bar one day in Casement), so it is probably a hatred borne out of jealousy.

Ps - of course, the above does not apply to all Tyrone people, but generally speaking there is no love lost

Perhaps, but just reading the Derry club thread a year ago would have gave you the impression that a large minority of Derry supporters have no great gra for Paddy either.

orangeman

Quote from: whiskeysteve on June 03, 2008, 12:10:41 PM

im sure you could tell us all about paddys campaigning round glenullin for support in his quest for individual honours. you must be close to the horses mouth.

somehow i don't think you will get back to us with a credible souce for that shot in the dark anytime soon

It's not a shot in the dark - a letter did go from Derry complining about his non inclusion in the Ireland squad - but I'm not arguing about his talent - he WAS better than some who were on the team !

whiskeysteve

Quote from: orangeman on June 03, 2008, 12:19:50 PM

It's not a shot in the dark - a letter did go from Derry complining about his non inclusion in the Ireland squad - but I'm not arguing about his talent - he WAS better than some who were on the team !

like i say lets hear the credible source for how 'he got others to do it for him'. Since you are so sure he was crying privately to those around him
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Uladh

His seasons (note seasons, not games) were both great in 2003 and 2005, IMHO

Mulligan had a very poor season in 2005 up until that quarter final. indeed i think he was dropped for a couple of games?
he was excellent from then on though.

orangeman

Quote from: whiskeysteve on June 03, 2008, 12:31:34 PM

like i say lets hear the credible source for how 'he got others to do it for him'. Since you are so sure he was crying privately to those around him

Ok - Derry county board gave an interview to Irish News at the time who ran the story - basically Derry CB were backing PB ( as they did last year when Barry Cassidy got taken by the collar ) and they expressed their disgust that he was omiitted from the squad !

whiskeysteve

Quote from: orangeman on June 03, 2008, 12:43:32 PM
Quote from: whiskeysteve on June 03, 2008, 12:31:34 PM

Ok - Derry county board gave an interview to Irish News at the time who ran the story - basically Derry CB were backing PB ( as they did last year when Barry Cassidy got taken by the collar ) and they expressed their disgust that he was omiitted from the squad !

this is getting boring. you still can't show how paddy is manipulating a campaign for himself. probably because he wasn't