Ulster Senior Football Championship 2008

Started by Puckoon, April 16, 2008, 05:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Traffic situation getting a lot better at that side - it's only when you go on it towards the city that it's a real nightmare.

armaghniac

If Derry buckle under the increased expectation placed on them, there is now a distinct possibility of this Ulster championship being like all of the recent ones, where Donegal win a game or two, lose the head and Armagh or Tyrone end up winning the Anglo-Celt. Of course Fermanagh might make it through, and who would begrudge them.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

I think most people would love to see Fermanagh win Ulster, but i can't see it happening this year.

orangeman

Quote from: AFS on May 25, 2008, 11:15:23 PM
If Derry get through next week, which I expect they will, they will beat Fermanagh handy enough. The areas that Fermanagh are strong and that won the game for them today like midfield, are also the areas that Derry are very strong in. Added to this, Derry have a much better forward unit than Monaghan and will test Fermangh's defence much more than Monaghan managed to do.

I'd agree with that alright - Winners of next weeks game I think will win Ulster.

Yes I Would

Cant see Derry getting anything too easy off Donegal next week. The mickey mouse league football is over and there should be a great intensity to next weeks game.
Mc Iver i reckon has been focused on this one from draw being made, and have a feeling Donegal could take this by a point or two.

Main Street

New favourites for the title after Sunday.

Derry leapfrog Tyrone,  to come in at 11/8
Tyrone out to 9/4

tintin25

As much as I hope and want Fermanagh to beat Derry I can't see it happening. Think quite a number of Fermanagh fans have gotten abit carried away since the Monaghan victory. Whatever happens from now on is a bonus, we've acheived Promotion and taken the scalp of Monaghan and we would have taken that at the start of the year. We defo have the capabilities to progress to the last 8/12 in the qualifiers so who knows.

Doire abú

Quote from: AFS on May 25, 2008, 11:37:44 PM
Quote from: orangeman on May 25, 2008, 11:18:52 PM
If Derry get through next week, which I expect they will, they will beat Fermanagh handy enough. The areas that Fermanagh are strong and that won the game for them today like midfield, are also the areas that Derry are very strong in. Added to this, Derry have a much better forward unit than Monaghan and will test Fermangh's defence much more than Monaghan managed to do.

I'd agree with that alright - Winners of next weeks game I think will win Ulster.

Wouldn't be so sure. Derry will get to the final, Donegal aren't up to much particularly in attack, but Armagh could put up a more than decent challenge if they get there.

Tyrone are also an unknown quantity, as strange as it is to say that. There are a lot of questions about Tyrone at the minute - How fit are the two Brians? How will whatever full back they decide on fair? Where will Sean Cavanagh play? Do Tyrone have two decent midfielders, allowing Cavanagh to move to full forward? Are their full forward line capable of scoring enough to win games? Can Owen Mulligan regain his form of 2003-2005? - if the answers to these questions are all answered positively for Tyrone they will be absolute contenders for Ulster and beyond. Are there too many unanswered questions for Tyrone though?

What forms that exactly?

Puckoon

Quote from: Doire abú on June 02, 2008, 02:25:12 PM

Wouldn't be so sure. Derry will get to the final, Donegal aren't up to much particularly in attack, but Armagh could put up a more than decent challenge if they get there.

Tyrone are also an unknown quantity, as strange as it is to say that. There are a lot of questions about Tyrone at the minute - How fit are the two Brians? How will whatever full back they decide on fair? Where will Sean Cavanagh play? Do Tyrone have two decent midfielders, allowing Cavanagh to move to full forward? Are their full forward line capable of scoring enough to win games? Can Owen Mulligan regain his form of 2003-2005? - if the answers to these questions are all answered positively for Tyrone they will be absolute contenders for Ulster and beyond. Are there too many unanswered questions for Tyrone though?

What forms that exactly?

That would be this kind of form. ::)

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=iwV4ZCITrnc&feature=related

orangeman

Quote from: Puckoon on June 02, 2008, 02:49:01 PM
Quote from: Doire abú on June 02, 2008, 02:25:12 PM

What forms that exactly?

That would be this kind of form. ::)

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=iwV4ZCITrnc&feature=related

If I live to 100 I don't think I'll see a better goal than this !

Doire abú

Yeah thats was an unbeleivable goal alright, but seems to me that apart from the goal he is way over-hyped.

And of course many would say Skinner's goal the same year was better. But thats another conversation altogether.

ExiledGael

Quote from: tintin25 on June 02, 2008, 01:46:14 PM
As much as I hope and want Fermanagh to beat Derry I can't see it happening. Think quite a number of Fermanagh fans have gotten abit carried away since the Monaghan victory. Whatever happens from now on is a bonus, we've acheived Promotion and taken the scalp of Monaghan and we would have taken that at the start of the year. We defo have the capabilities to progress to the last 8/12 in the qualifiers so who knows.

Who's getting carried away? Most importantly the squad themselves aren't and will be relishing this. There was little or no celebration after the Monaghan game. Nobody will expect us to be within six points of Derry, and no better man than O'Rourke to try to take down Derry as rank outsiders.

Uladh

no doubt in my mind that skinner's goal in the marshes was a better goal. both cracking goals though

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: Doire abú on June 02, 2008, 04:51:17 PM
Yeah thats was an unbeleivable goal alright, but seems to me that apart from the goal he is way over-hyped.

And of course many would say Skinner's goal the same year was better. But thats another conversation altogether.

What about his 1-5 from play in the replay against Dublin or his man of the match performance (as judged by the experts) in the 05 final? He didnt have to cry his way to an allstar after having a decent league/a few good early qualifier games.

Puckoon

Quote from: Doire abú on June 02, 2008, 04:51:17 PM

You obviously didnt follow the games that your own county were not in in those two years.

Mulligan has his detractors, and at times rightly so. His form in those two years however was paramount to Tyrone lifting sam maguire in september both times.