government grants to GAA players -- not getting into prefessionalism etc

Started by squareballz, March 18, 2008, 02:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

magpie seanie

QuoteAbout 90% of the Congress Delegates voted in favour.

No they didn't. That was reported but I know from someone who was in the room that about 25-30% voted against it.

Rossfan

If there were that many they would surely have counted the hands ?
The report I read was that it was 8:1 which would bear out general opinion on the issue.

magpie seanie

Ther was one report that quote 8:1 alright. One. I spoke to someone who was in the room. Who is this "general opinion"?

Rossfan

Opinions of Irish people,GAA fans, players , officials, club activists that i have come across over the last 5 or 6 months.
The only place I came across any kind of opposition was on this forum. :-\
However the Silent majority won the day as it usually does when the oul ballot box (metaphorically speaking in this case) takes over.

INDIANA

so you think it'll stop now rossfan tht the GPA will be happy with 3k per player for the next 15 years? me bollox.

Rossfan

As it's the Government that's giving the players assistance with their expenses I dont suppose there's a whole lot the GPA can do about it.
And why are you calling yourself a bollox? ;D

quidnunc

Some papers said the vote against the grants was as much as 1/3 or 40%. Others said as little as 35 or so votes.

Mark Conway was quoted as saying he was promised a handcount and this was reneged on.

If this so, how can we state categorically?

All we do now is that at least 10 counties were mandated to vote against beforehand. If they didn't all raise their hands, they must have known it was inevitable, after all the 'support the president or else' politicking that was going on for weeks beforehand.

orangeman

Quote from: Rossfan on April 15, 2008, 08:12:33 PM
If there were that many they would surely have counted the hands ?
The report I read was that it was 8:1 which would bear out general opinion on the issue.

How many voted to get rid of John Maughan ???  ;)

Uladh

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on April 15, 2008, 10:08:40 AM
Zulu...fair play to you giving that much time to your club....a massive contribution by any standards...repsect. A few questions for you......does no one else in your club want to take any of the teams, I am trying to understand why you are involved with so many teams within one club....do you actually do the coaching for all of these teams or are you the dreaded water man.....or are you the chairman (or chairmans son) who feels they can trust no one else to do the job. Loook forward to understanding why you have so much on your plate...amybe everybody in your club are lazy hounds and don't want to put the work in to see the club improving

zulu?

orangeman

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on April 17, 2008, 10:22:03 AM
Quote from: Maximus Marillius on April 15, 2008, 10:08:40 AM
Zulu...fair play to you giving that much time to your club....a massive contribution by any standards...repsect. A few questions for you......does no one else in your club want to take any of the teams, I am trying to understand why you are involved with so many teams within one club....do you actually do the coaching for all of these teams or are you the dreaded water man.....or are you the chairman (or chairmans son) who feels they can trust no one else to do the job. Loook forward to understanding why you have so much on your plate...amybe everybody in your club are lazy hounds and don't want to put the work in to see the club improving

zulu?

He's too busy coaching all those teams, word has reached us that he has packed in the board !  ;)

AZOffaly

To be honest, I don't see why he should answer that question, or what it's got to do with it. Maybe he's a workaholic. Maybe he really enjoys doing it. Maybe he's a shit player. Maybe he's an egomaniac. Maybe there is no one else doing it. Maybe he's an excellent coach.

I don't think it's relevant to the debate here though. Why even ask the question in that context?