Mayo v Kerry Official Thread

Started by Barney, March 10, 2008, 08:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Davitt Man

Mayo were still getting pushed around yesterday by a bigger kerry team. McGarrity had the ball knocked off him on several occasions. Darragh O'Se came on and leveled Gardiner, Gill and Howley in the same move.

Were still too light especially in the forwards.

ildanach

Quote from: Davitt Man on March 18, 2008, 02:25:14 PM
Mayo were still getting pushed around yesterday by a bigger kerry team. McGarrity had the ball knocked off him on several occasions. Darragh O'Se came on and leveled Gardiner, Gill and Howley in the same move.

Were still too light especially in the forwards.

I was just about to discuss a similar concern. Dillion and C Mortimer looked very light.  Then again so does the gooch and he rarely gets turned over! But overall we are not small for 1 -15. I think it is more technique and the ability to offload the tackle is where i problem is. We seem to get it knocked from our hands. This is because we are not protecting the ball. We gathered a great deal of breaking ball but we have a tendencey to spill it again.  But one thing i was very pleased to see was that the kerry backs did not get out unchallenged. Even for O malleys winning point- it came from turned over ball.

a good result and it sets us up well for the remainder of the league. We have to back it up with a win in kildare and home to galway. We have also become somewhat of a bogey team for tyrone in omagh so we have no reason to fear going there either. A win in kildare should assure division 1 status.

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

rosnarun

QuoteDarragh O'Se came on and leveled Gardiner, Gill and Howley in the same move.
What this is the direction you think mayo should be going ing . lokking for guys who can level 3 members of the opposition at one go.
good luck in finding another Dara o sé . if you find one tyour next job is to bring in a michael donnellan and 2 Peter canavans
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Kerry Mike

Fair play to Mayo took their chances when it matters, disappointing to lose but with 3 games still to go we are still in a shout of reaching the final, cant afford to lose again though. Sheehan needs to put away those vital frees, he has missed a good few this year already. We have lost 2 games now by a point so all frees are vital to be converted.

Donaghy also needs to temper his tantrums, as a media star he needs to realise all his actions will come under the microscope lets hope this is the kick up the hole he needs to concentrate on his undoubted footballing ability.   

Positives are getting Darragh back and news that Paul Galvin is back training, Declan Sulllivan will be back jogging next week too and the Gooch cant be too far away from coming back to Killarney.

Well done to the U21's on winning on Sat so hopefully they will get on a good run now.

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Aaron Boone

A game at midfield would do Donaghy the world of good. He wants the ball and is currently isolated for large parts of most games.

ExiledGael

No chance. Leave the man where he is, he's pure class and his play leads to countless scores for others every game.
He's taking serious abuse from some players and fans, but he'll learn in time.

Aaron Boone

There's a frustration in his current game. He started out with Kerry seniors in midfield and I think he was in that position all-the-while as a cub with Stacks. Come the championship and the big day in Croker, then obviously he is the modern full forward. He needs a freshening-up & a re-jig just now.

ExiledGael

Maybe, but the animals always look like that during the league.

Main Street

There is article in the Indo http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/kerry-forward-made-gesture-after-being-struck-by-missile-1321132.html
about the the missiles thrown at Donaghy and his apology.

Is this account about right? sounds awful if it is.

TV cameras caught Donaghy raising his middle finger in anger towards a section of the crowd behind one of the goals after he had missed a late chance to equalise.
But it has emerged that he was the target for a flying piece of wood launched from that same section of crowd that narrowly missed his head.
Donaghy also revealed that a coin had struck him on a calf earlier in the game and that an umpire could verify this.
A number of Kerry players had complained afterwards that coins were thrown at goalkeeper Diarmuid Murphy in the opening half.

"During the latter stages of the game and in the heat of the moment, I used an inappropriate gesture towards the crowd. I apologise unreservedly to spectators and all sports fans alike for any offence that I may have caused by this action."

rosnarun

looks like the mayo bebo Ultras were out in force.
A full investigation should be carried  out in relation to this and nip it in the bud . im not calling for bans or anything like that but it a dangerous thing to start happening and should not be ignore or a soccer stlye thing could build up between the fans and start attracting the scumbags in large numbers
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

the Deel Rover

na the papers have it all wrong i was there beside this kerry man and he was paying for a can of  coke out of his pocket came 5 or 6 Ai medals along with the loose change he just grabbed one of the medals and horsed in on to the field saying he had another 4 or 5 of them at home and that its twas the only chance we would have on seeing an Ai medal the dirty fecker ;) 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

mannix

Well done to the Mayo team. They are miles away from september but may be going in the right direction.Jom had the right idea how to stop donaghy, it worked and donaghy got very annoyed because he is used to having his own way.
How tall and what weight is kieran conroy?
Shame about the missile throwing, no place for this in the game at all.

IolarCoisCuain

Anyone that throws anything onto the field of play should be chucked out and banned. There is no debate in my mind about that at all.

That said, Donaghy's statement is a bit of a joke, don't you think? I love Kerrymen, but they're the divil and all for spinning. Let's have a look at that statement.

Donaghy is quoted in the Indo today as saying that his claim that he struck by a "flying piece of wood" can be verified by one of the umpires.

"This can be verified by one of the umpires because I was hit by a coin in the calf and when I picked it up, it was a 50 cent coin. I jokingly handed it to one of the umpires and told him that he could buy a packet of crisps with it."

Well, no, it can't. The umpire can verify that he was handed a coin by Kieran Donaghy during the course of play. He can't verify that Donaghy was struck by a coin, and he certainly can't conclude that, because Donaghy handed the umpire a coin during the game that he was also hit by a "flying piece of wood." If we had this "flying piece of wood" perhaps we could hand that into evidence? Has anyone kept it? Should we send for Grissom from CSI, Las Vegas?

I have an interest in ballistics - I have funny ways of passing the time, me. My small knowledge of ballistics tells me that, for a Euro coin to travel with sufficient speed in order to hit a target that is - what? - two feet off the ground, it would have to be fired from a gun. Go out into the garden and try it. Draw a two foot high target on the wall and see how easy it is to hit it. And I would also suggest that, if anyone did bring a gun to McHale Park, they could only use bullets in the breech, and not coin of the realm.

Donaghy is a fine footballer, but my goodness, he'd be a poor man to sell banbhs on a fair day. Fifty cents for a packet of crisps? I think not. Not around here.

I think the PRO of the Kerry County Board would do well to take note as well that Irish people do not say "packet of crisps." They say "bags of Tayto." Nobody is fooled with this old blather. And the bit at the end - "You associate hurling coins at players and missiles with other sports like Italian soccer and the professional games but not in our sport. I hope it never again happens in the GAA because our players and supporters have always mingled without any problems."

Come on now fellas. Who do you think you're kidding?  ;D

Hound

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on March 19, 2008, 02:55:56 PM
Anyone that throws anything onto the field of play should be chucked out and banned. There is no debate in my mind about that at all.
No doubt.

But what percentage of missile throwers gets thrown out? Im my experinence its very close to 0%. And it seems the same was the case in Mayo. This can only encourage the scumbags to repeat the action and encourage more scumbags to join in.