NFL Div. 4

Started by AZOffaly, January 25, 2008, 03:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Put it like this, we're no world beaters, but have the potential to be at least the match of the likes of Monaghan, Laois, Fermanagh, Sligo, etc etc. Our backs are not that bad actually, especially when we get Karol Slattery back as well.

imtommygunn

I would take Monaghan out of that but would maybe agree you, potentially, could be up there with the rest. Realistically you are playing below yourselves. Why this has happened I don't know.

I would hope / think we could beat Cavan in the championship too. However the full back line remains dodgy yet and Seanie Johnston could kill us in there! Hopefully with the remainder of the league - and hopefully a league final against yourselves - we could resolve that. Your FF line would be a very good test pre championship as I would expect it to be a bit better than Cavan's.

stevecw

This weekend in Div 4, u can be sure Offaly & Antrim will win easily. They already are the 2 sides promoted. Its been a poor effort by the rest of us. Clare fancied their chances after winning the McGrath Cup...but lost all games except Kilk.
Carlow we thought we were well on course...beating Wex away, drawing in parnell pk with the Dubs....in 1st game of league beatin Clare away by 5 pts....we thought we were flying!
Reality hit us when Offaly came to Carlow and bet us by 20pts or so. Ok we went & won in London, but last game was shocking poor effort in Belfast going down by 6 points to Antrim. Since then a few of our better players have walked off the panel...same as every year in Carlow.
Hate doing it against my own county, but i was lookin at the odds for games at wkend. They have Cw 5/6 v Tipp 6/5. Im lumping on Tipp knowing what i do about the fall outs in Carlow. And most of the most talented guys in Cw are playing Leinster U-21 semi in Newbridge this weekend too. The 6/5 is guarenteed money!

Carlow U-21s are in leinster semi 4 1st time in 24 years, thats building on minor side who got to leinster final last year. Future looks good 4 Carlow, but this Sunday, no Tipp will win, i guarentee you that.

Sorry, back in Div 4...Antrim are sure of a win too.this wkend..so its Off, Ant promoted & into Qualifiers too.

Gold

Quote from: stevecw on March 26, 2008, 10:45:09 PM
This weekend in Div 4, u can be sure Offaly & Antrim will win easily. Carlow U-21s are in leinster semi 4 1st time in 24 years, thats building on minor side who got to leinster final last year. Futur
Sorry, back in Div 4...Antrim are sure of a win too.this wkend..so its Off, Ant promoted & into Qualifiers too.

lets hope so!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

AZOffaly

Quote from: stevecw on March 26, 2008, 10:45:09 PM
This weekend in Div 4, u can be sure Offaly & Antrim will win easily. They already are the 2 sides promoted. Its been a poor effort by the rest of us. Clare fancied their chances after winning the McGrath Cup...but lost all games except Kilk.
Carlow we thought we were well on course...beating Wex away, drawing in parnell pk with the Dubs....in 1st game of league beatin Clare away by 5 pts....we thought we were flying!
Reality hit us when Offaly came to Carlow and bet us by 20pts or so. Ok we went & won in London, but last game was shocking poor effort in Belfast going down by 6 points to Antrim. Since then a few of our better players have walked off the panel...same as every year in Carlow.
Hate doing it against my own county, but i was lookin at the odds for games at wkend. They have Cw 5/6 v Tipp 6/5. Im lumping on Tipp knowing what i do about the fall outs in Carlow. And most of the most talented guys in Cw are playing Leinster U-21 semi in Newbridge this weekend too. The 6/5 is guarenteed money!

Carlow U-21s are in leinster semi 4 1st time in 24 years, thats building on minor side who got to leinster final last year. Future looks good 4 Carlow, but this Sunday, no Tipp will win, i guarentee you that.

What do you mean by that? We're going to win the Leinster title :D

Zulu

Betting on sport is a bitch isn't it? Lost a few pound over the years on 'sure' things aswell.

laoisgaa

Stevecw or anyone at this game? Across the four divisions I think this was the closest one at full-time - CW shading it by just a point. What way did this game pan out? Would have expected a Tipp victory myself. Did the goals come in close succession? Who played well for both sides?

AZOffaly

Quote from: hardstation on March 30, 2008, 04:59:27 PM
Londain 0-05 3-19 Aontroim
Ceatharlach 1-10 1-09 Tiobraid Arann
Uibh Fhaili 0-13 1-08 Port Lairge
An Clar 0-11 0-08 Cill Mhantain

Solid win for Antrim, as expected and sees them top the table. Offaly still have to hammer Kilkenny but I hear that Antrim have offered Kilkenny 5 free entries into the Saffron Sweep, if they fail to field in that game.
Tipp's chance of promotion blown out of the water today.
Offaly ran very close by Waterford. Anyone there? Offaly bad/Waterford good?
Wicklow still wick.

Well that was fairly wicked. I wasn't at the game, so hopefully LS will fill us in. Jaysus Offaly are so unpredictable it's just a joke. Kilkenny will probably beat them.

Antrim seemed to have found their ruthless streak in Ruislip, while Wicklow seem to have given up the ghost. Great win for Antrim in Carlow.  Sorry I mean for Carlow in Carlow, but basically that takes most of the pressure of Antrim's trip to Tipp now. Must look at the fixtures and standings now, but is that it mathematically over now? I think Offaly and Antrim are both on 11 points, with the nearest challengers on 6? Although I think some teams have 3 games to go.

Lone Shark

Not a lot to say - same as the Tipp match, Offaly were absolutely brutal, looked like they were fulfilling a fixture and no more. The match was 3-3 with about 7 or 8 minutes to go to half time and then we hit a good spell, going in 8-3 up. This only reinforced the complacency and Waterford chipped back into it. You could tell they were going to get a goal at some stage, so thankfully it came on 59 minutes and not on 69. That drew them level, and McManus promptly won the kickout, drove on, got fouled and banged over the free from 50m out. He then won the next kickout as well only for a bad wide to result.

I never thought we wouldn't win, and on the one hand I suppose after so much pressure on the last match when they delivered spectacularly it's hard to be too critical, but by God it was poor stuff. Westmeath or Longford would have ate us alive on that display.

I don't think we'll lose to Kilkenny next week somehow, but God knows what'll happen. I'd like to think we won't go chasing ten goals or anything like that. The biggest advantage Kilkenny hurlers have is the absence of football in the county - I'd be all for letting them run us close to give football in Kilkenny a real boost.  :D

stevecw

Quote from: Zulu on March 30, 2008, 05:17:04 PM

Betting on sport is a bitch isn't it? Lost a few pound over the years on 'sure' things aswell.

Thank God when it came to it, i couldn't bring myself to bet against my county. A 2nd reason for me to enjoy yesterdays win!
Honestly didn't expect us to win that game. Tipp were still well in the hunt for promotion, seemed to be flying. Last couple of Carlow games that mattered v Offaly & Antrim were shocking performances where we just gave up when things started to go wrong.
But yesterday the heart & battling was back in the side.
To answer Laoisgaa, the Tipp goal came early. We were 1-1 to 0-1 down. Still a point behind at half time. Got Mark Carpenter sent off with a straight red early in 2nd half. Looked bad at that stage. A couple of good changes, made a big difference. Pat Walsh got thru for a goal which put up ahead. It was point for point after that. Tipp lost a man to a 2nd yellow. With 3 mins to go Tipp were a point up, but Carlow captain Paul Cashin who had a stormer burst forward and won us a free to level it up. then in last min a sub Broderick was put clean thru on goal and he was taken down by a horrible tackle around his neck. The Tipp guy rightly got sent off & we tapped over the free to win it.
Big win to get us back on track. Waterford home, Wicklow away & Killkenny home is whats left. 4 wins in a row to bring into championship wouldnt be a bad league. 12 points, compared to last years 2 would be good progress.

laoisgaa

Anyone at Carlow/Wicklow today? Good match? Wondering what Wicklow are like especially as they could end up facing Laois in the Championship in our opener in Leinster.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

deiseach

Waterford doing Tipp a favour. What a bittersweet win

Onlooker

What a turn around in Div. 4 today.  You would have got long odds indeed on Tipperary winning promotion ahead of Antrim before today's games and those odds would have increased bigtime, when Tipp had a player sent off after 5 minutes.  Despite losing their leading scorer Tipp came from a point behind to lead by 5 points at half time.  The extra man began to tell midway through the second half and Wicklow cut the lead to two points and news spread that Waterford were leading Antrim in Casement Park.  The realisiation that a Waterford win was a real possibility helped to inspire the 14 man home team to hold out for a 2 point victory.  Tipp's satisfaction at a fine win against the odds turned to sheer joy a minute or two later when the result from Belfast was confirmed.   Promotion to Div. 3 and with it entry to the qualifiers was a huge prize for Tipp and all the sweeter because it came against the odds.  With 6 Under 21 players on the starting 15, things are looking up for Tipperary.   Thanks Hardstation for your generous comment and fair play to Waterford for their win.

Maguire01

I really don't know whether i'm more shocked at Monaghan missing out or Antrim missing out! A bad day.