Best internet booky

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, December 29, 2007, 09:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Doire abú

I use PP, but what pissed me off with it is the fact their live betting can be very tedious at times.

Also the fact that last years during the US Masters they neglected to tell everyone that the TV feed on BBC/RTÉ we were getting was eight minutes behind real-time. OK you can say they didn't have to warn everyone of that, but personnally I Thought it was very bad form of them not to, considering I (like most people) was under the assumption it was a live stream.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: bombidal on January 01, 2008, 10:53:23 PM

the correct winnings were paid my friend

LS said on the original thread:
"I went into one of their Galway shops and asked behind the counter for a large bet. The girl behind the counter rang up head office to confirm the price, to confirm that it was okay to take the bet, all confirmed and duly took it."

What more was he to do as a punter, answer me that?   

What was your rationale for changing the price on him AFTER the bet had been okayed at Head Office?

How you didn't have the balls to stand over the original price of 8/11 based on the fact that he got it Okayed by Head Office I'll never know, but (at the risk of repeating myself) sure as long as ye're a bit of craic it makes it alright..................

bombidal

I do not have to explain anything to anyone on this board.
*** Gaaboard Fantasy Football Champion 09 ***

Guillem2

Quote from: bombidal on January 02, 2008, 08:49:49 AM

True, you don't but you aren't doing Paddy Power's image any good with your approach.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

Smokin Joe

True, but perhaps you might qualify your next recommendation of Paddy Power on this board (or any other board you may post on) with a suitable tag line, perhaps something like this:

"You must be advised that we may unilaterally decide to reduce the odds of any winning selection, despite you being told before hand that the bet was accepted by the spineless monkies at Head Office.  And it doesn't matter if you have done everything humanly possible to verify the odds of the bet before the bet was placed, that's just the way it is.
But don't forget we're great craic..................."

bombidal

Quote from: Guillem2 on January 02, 2008, 09:06:09 AM

True, you don't but you aren't doing Paddy Power's image any good with your approach.

But do I care ?
*** Gaaboard Fantasy Football Champion 09 ***

the Deel Rover

time for you to change your signature Bombidal ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Bud Wiser

Why don't someone mail the link to this discussion to the great many Paddy himself and ask for his opinion. Shur at least we would knock a bit of craic out of him.

I'm giving no more tips with all these bookies looking in !
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Lone Shark

Just back from holidays, so I didn't get near this till now - mea culpa.

I won't go into the Wexford bet all over again, except to say that perhaps a general customer might be treated a bit differently to how someone who works for a rival company is. The facts have long since been discussed by now, though at the time I'm not sure if Bombidal offically came out to bat for his employer - tis neither here nor there now anyway.

In terms of the original question, the best bookie is quite simply the one with the best price for what you want to bet on. My vested interest is quite clear, but I'm speaking as a punter when I say scouring round for the best price about what you want to back is probably worth as much as €200 a year to someone who bets five times a week to an average stake of a tenner. Now obviously I would hope that most people on here who bet do so for fun (because 90% of those who bet for money get hosed in the process) but even so if you are even semi serious about your few quid I strongly recommend having a look at all the options.

The other issue, which I'm sorry, but I have to pick up on, is this garbage about PP being great "craic". You may find their publicity stunts amusing, or you may not - but it's not like you miss out on that because you bet with someone else. Paddy's smiling face will still be in the paper every second day whether or not you do. I will say this though - for a board that is primarily GAA, it is utterly galling to read that stuff. When RTE or BBC are slow or incorrect in putting up results on O'Byrne or McKenna Cup matches, ye all bemoan the lack of coverage, just like I do. Yet last weekend, PP priced up six (if memory serves) of the various games that were on around Ireland, while I/We/Ladbrokes put up 24.

This may sound like a shameless plug, but I do so for a reason - I'm getting put under pressure to stop doing these games, all because they ain't paying off, and I'm pretty sure no-one wants that. Not alone do feck all bet on them in the first place, people are betting on the games PP won't do with us, and then reverting to PP for the league and championship because they are "great craic". By all means, if you want to back Kerry for the NFL division 1 title, they are a better price than us, so do so. But what kills me is that there are people who will bet on Tyrone McKenna cup games with us because PP won't do it. They'll bet on UUJ to win the Sigerson with us because PP won't do it until the semi. They'll bet on Omagh CBS for the Hogan Cup with us because PP won't do it. They'll bet on their local club to win the Tyrone county championship with us because PP won't do those games. They'll do a treble on the Tyrone club quarter final matches because PP won't do it.

Then come the NFL they'll back PP's 3/1 rather than my 4/1 because it's "great craic", or "handy". I say this because there are customers who do just that, bet on their own teams with us when we're the only company offering it, then disappear, even if we're best price, once the rivals show up.

Cashmans is likely to be bought out this week, and as any good GAA punter will tell you, that's a real loss. For your own sake on several levels, you should support the bookie that makes an effort - otherwise you'll pay the price now, when your bet has a smaller payout, as you will later when you no longer have the option of all the extra stuff listed above.

Bud Wiser

Lighten up a bit, I said it would be great craic to get Paddy Power on here to explain the bet.
As for all the facts and figures I don't think anyone of us takes it that serious and as far as I am concerned if a horse is say 7/1 from Paddy Power and 8/1 from Ladbrokes I would not loose any sleep over it if I had to punt at 7/1.  Bookies are all the same to me and the more of them close down the better in certain areas. I was working in a new spread betting premises in Dublin today installing CCTV and they are opening in two weeks.  They are giving one hour courses on spread betting for their customers.  Imagine, they are going to sit us all down in a room with screens in front of us and tell us how to bet.

BTW, is there any chance this is you in the Ladbrokes office in Galway on the last day of Balinrobe ?

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=k5KXAM7Oheg
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Bud Wiser on January 14, 2008, 06:50:07 PM
Lighten up a bit, I said it would be great craic to get Paddy Power on here to explain the bet.
As for all the facts and figures I don't think anyone of us takes it that serious and as far as I am concerned if a horse is say 7/1 from Paddy Power and 8/1 from Ladbrokes I would not loose any sleep over it if I had to punt at 7/1.  Bookies are all the same to me and the more of them close down the better in certain areas. I was working in a new spread betting premises in Dublin today installing CCTV and they are opening in two weeks.  They are giving one hour courses on spread betting for their customers.  Imagine, they are going to sit us all down in a room with screens in front of us and tell us how to bet.

BTW, is there any chance this is you in the Ladbrokes office in Galway on the last day of Balinrobe ?

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=k5KXAM7Oheg

Bud, I presume the "craic" that LS is talking about refers to a post made by Bombidal, and not yourself.

Bud Wiser

I was wondering that because I was on his side because he caught a certain poster advertising tickets for sale for the All-Ireland last year on E-Bay !!

It was a mild attack on my part though and Shark won't mind.

Lone Shark

Shark most assuredly is far from perturbed - and indeed it was the notion that PP is somehow more fun was indeed the general intention. Possibly I'm just a bit tetchy today. Bud is used to dealing with cranky Biffos anyway, neighbours are tolerant like that....

Bud Wiser