Donal Mc Anallen resigns his Higher Education post over GPA grants

Started by orangeman, December 13, 2007, 04:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

his holiness nb

Quote from: hardstation on December 13, 2007, 08:16:19 PM
I'm not sure lads. It looks like: "I fecking want out of this job, grants or no grants."

This would suggest otherwise.

"Since the weekend, I realised that the association is changing direction altogether," said McAnallen.

"Suddenly I knew I had lost interest in doing the voluntary work if the sport ceases to be for sport's sake."
Ask me holy bollix

ziggysego

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on December 13, 2007, 08:20:59 PM
Quote from: asitis on December 13, 2007, 06:59:28 PM
when i think of you mike i see the rear end of a donkey.

Jeez, what did the donkey ever do on you?

He doesn't like to talk about it Fear.......
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Quote from: ziggysego on December 13, 2007, 08:15:40 PM
Quote from: ONeill on December 13, 2007, 08:03:07 PM
"Up to now I kept involved because I got a sense of fulfilment from doing that work, as I thought the association served a greater good in Irish life, and I thought everyone was working towards the same ends.

"But since the weekend, I realised that the association is changing direction altogether. Suddenly I knew I had lost interest in doing the voluntary work if the sport ceases to be for sport's sake.

Two can play at that game ONeill ;)

Ziggy, this is not a game. I've massive respect for Donal and I've been a recipient of his vocational work.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

DMarsden

so far two (tyrone) people have resigned from their posts in the association. many thousands have not. what way does that leave the numbers?

Fear ón Srath Bán

"Since the weekend, I realised that the association is changing direction altogether..." said McAnallen.

That's the crux of it: regardless of anything else anywhere else (paid managers, etc.), and however it's dressed up, the weekend represented de facto pay-for-play, and as such that constitutes a fundamental shift in ethos; and I'd suggest that anyone who denies that reality is actually in denial.

Conway and now Mc Anallen are the high profile resignees, and for every one of those there'll be a thousand low profile volunteers now engaged in some fairly serious soul searching, and to lose one of those is one too many. We've stepped on to the slippery slope, and there may be no getting off any time soon.

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ziggysego

Quote from: ONeill on December 13, 2007, 08:28:23 PM
Ziggy, this is not a game. I've massive respect for Donal and I've been a recipient of his vocational work.

No, no, didn't mean it like that. The last time you thought I was having a good at you. I mean what I said, but I added a little humour to take the edge off it.
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Quote from: DMarsden on December 13, 2007, 08:30:09 PM

so far two (tyrone) people have resigned from their posts in the association. many thousands have not. what way does that leave the numbers?

I doubt this will be the end of it Marsden.

You said the other day that Tyrone didn't back up Mark Conway, yet Wednesday night Pat Darcy came out supporting Mark and condeming the GPA.
Testing Accessibility

DMarsden

Aye i read that. I wonder where he got a mandate to air that view as county chairman? i hope he had it endorsed by the grass roots in a democratic fashion!

ONeill

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on December 13, 2007, 08:31:12 PM
"Since the weekend, I realised that the association is changing direction altogether..." said McAnallen.

That's the crux of it: regardless of anything else anywhere else (paid managers, etc.), and however it's dressed up, the weekend represented de facto pay-for-play, and as such that constitutes a fundamental shift in ethos; and I'd suggest that anyone who denies that reality is actually in denial.

Conway and now Mc Anallen are the high profile resignees, and for every one of those there'll be a thousand low profile volunteers now engaged in some fairly serious soul searching, and to lose one of those is one too many. We've stepped on to the slippery slope, and there may be no getting off any time soon.

Do you not think it's a time for cool heads though FoSB? Call on Brennan et al to clarify their stance on what has happened and seek assurances that the fear emanating from certain quarters is misplaced.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteJeez, what did the donkey ever do on you?

I see what you did there. very clever. What you are saying is that he was insulting the donkey by comparing him to me..!!

Mighty stuff altogether !

ziggysego

Quote from: DMarsden on December 13, 2007, 08:34:30 PM

Aye i read that. I wonder where he got a mandate to air that view as county chairman? i hope he had it endorsed by the grass roots in a democratic fashion!

Oh for goodness sake..

As County Chairman, this was Pat's speech for the AGM. He was voicing his opinions on what he felt about the GPA and what he'd like the County Board to act towards it. He hasn't actually implemented any policies or gone over the heads of any members in Tyrone in demands the way forward.

Testing Accessibility

Rossfan

Quote from: 5iveTimes on December 13, 2007, 08:35:09 PM
Would these people not be better off trying to fight their corner from within the GAA, rather than sniping from the outside ?

Indeed.
It's not like politics (of a certain sort anyway) where if you don't like something you go off and be a dissident sitting in some purer holier than holy principled corner.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Rossfan on December 13, 2007, 08:44:29 PM
Indeed.
It's not like politics (of a certain sort anyway) where if you don't like something you go off and be a dissident sitting in some purer holier than holy principled corner.

If it gets the clubs and counties agitated enough to call for a national vote within the GAA then its a stand well worth making.

This rubbish can still be stopped, but it will have to happen from the clubs up as Nicky Brennan is obviously intent on railroading it through without consulting the whole spectrum of members.
i usse an speelchekor

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on December 13, 2007, 08:37:18 PM
Do you not think it's a time for cool heads though FoSB? Call on Brennan et al to clarify their stance on what has happened and seek assurances that the fear emanating from certain quarters is misplaced.

Most definitely Shane, and I think that Nicky Brennan is doing as well as can be done at this juncture, but that two individuals of that calibre who lived and breathed GAA could not find it within themselves to continue as before (and what a wrench that must be) says it all really; the deviation from first principles has been that radical.

I feel too, however, that the whole area needs explicit rearticulation, i.e., Rule 11 needs to get with the times, and actually mean something relevant in the current era. The lack of clear definition here actually fuels doubts and uncertainty, regardless of pronunciations from on high in relation to amateurism.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on December 13, 2007, 08:47:11 PM
I feel too, however, that the whole area needs explicit rearticulation, i.e., Rule 11 needs to get with the times, and actually mean something relevant in the current era. The lack of clear definition here actually fuels doubts and uncertainty, regardless of pronunciations from on high in relation to amateurism.

I said it before on a few threads - I think rule 11 does need updated...

But not towards professionalism, rather away from it. Limit the time to train players, limit the matches - reduce the time commitment the players have to make to more manageable levels and the problem should go away.
i usse an speelchekor