Donal Mc Anallen resigns his Higher Education post over GPA grants

Started by orangeman, December 13, 2007, 04:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Donal Mc Anallen has resigned his post as Secretary of Higher Education committee - another high profile resignation. Donal would be a true gael and is disenchanted over the obvious change in direction of the GAA - Will the GAA react to stop this or do they think they can do without vlounteers like Conway and Mc Anallen ?

phpearse

I'm sure people can look up BBC for the full article but here it is in full

Further departure amid grants row 

McAnallen (right) with his brother Cormac after the 2003 All-Ireland final
The grants controversy had contributed to another high-profile resignation in the shape of Higher Education Council secretary Donal McAnallen.
McAnallen, the brother of the late Tyrone star Cormac McAnallen, spoke of his disillusionment with the deal.

"Since the weekend, I realised that the association is changing direction altogether," said McAnallen.

"Suddenly I knew I had lost interest in doing the voluntary work if the sport ceases to be for sport's sake."

McAnallen announced his resignation with immediate effect and he has also stepped down from the committee of the GAA's McNamee PR awards.

He explained that his reasons for resigning also arose from practical matters.

"I have no income at present and I'm in debt.

606: DEBATE
Give your views on the continuing player grants controversy

"My dedication to GAA committee work has cost me too much time, effort, stress, and my health at times also.

"Up to now I kept involved because I got a sense of fulfilment from doing that work, as I thought the association served a greater good in Irish life, and I thought everyone was working towards the same ends."

McAnallen added that "many GAA volunteers...have made similar sacrifices".

"Now I wonder whether it was all worthwhile."

McAnallen has been involved in a variety of roles within the GAA as both a player and administrator.

As the longest-serving member of the present Comhairle Ardoideachais committee, he served for four years as treasurer and last October was elected for a third term as secretary.

During that period he acted as draftsman for three constitutional reviews for the sector, and was to the forefront of efforts to clamp down on ineligibility.

I fully support their leadership in every other respect

Donal McAnallen

He was also heavily involved in negotiating a six-figure sponsorship deal with Ulster Bank, which will last until the centenary competitions of the Sigerson and Fitzgibbon Cups in 2011.

McAnallen was formerly editor of High Ball magazine, and has written widely on GAA history in a number of publications.

As a player, he was a member of the first Underdogs team that played Dublin in 2003.

McAnallen also recently worked alongside Player Welfare Officer Paraic Duffy on a number of issues, including the provision of defibrillators, cardiac screening and scholarships.

He paid tribute to the GAA's incoming director-general Duffy and current president Nickey Brennan.

"I admire them greatly and on a personal level I am grateful for many things they have done.

"While I do not agree with current policy on this issue, my actions are not meant as a slight on them, and I fully support their leadership in every other respect."

Mike Sheehy

is everyone in Tyrone a drama queen or what ? and as for this ...

QuoteMcAnallen was formerly editor of High Ball magazine, and has written widely on GAA history in a number of publications.

I am assuming that all this work was done for free and that he did not in anyway leverage his profile and connections within the GAA to get said work.

behind the wire

He who laughs last thinks the slowest

asitis

Mike Sheehy

Mike Sheehy

QuoteIt was a job he was doing.

Its not just any old job. It was for a magazine devoted to covering GAA. Do you not think his GAA connections helped him in anyway to get this job and to do this job ? Of course they did. If he made no money from it fine. If he did then it compromizes his position.

Bottom line is that I have no problem with him doing that job but he can spare me the high-minded guff about pay for play. It is a very grey area and anyone who thinks of it in black and white terms hasn't thought about it at all.

ziggysego

Well done Donal in your protest the GPA and its dismantling of the GAA that we all grew up. I fully support you and I would safely say the vase majority of GAA people across this island and further afield.

Because of the GPA, the GAA is losing a lot of good people. I hope Dessie is happy within him. No doubt he will have some statement out late tonight or early tomorrow morning calling Donal all sorts of names.
Testing Accessibility

his holiness nb

Quote from: ziggysego on December 13, 2007, 07:47:13 PM
Well done Donal in your protest the GPA and its dismantling of the GAA that we all grew up. I fully support you and I would safely say the vase majority of GAA people across this island and further afield.

Because of the GPA, the GAA is losing a lot of good people. I hope Dessie is happy within him. No doubt he will have some statement out late tonight or early tomorrow morning calling Donal all sorts of names.

I second that Ziggy, how many more good people do we need to lose before this madness ends?
Surely even the pro grant camp have to seriously contemplate if its worth losing these people over this? Or are they prepared to be stubborn and watch decent honourable volunteers walk away rather than accept this is causing more problems than its worth.

No doubt there will be more childish "toys out of pram" comments.
Ask me holy bollix

ONeill

The actual press-release (without media spin):

Press Release
13th December 2007

At a meeting of the Higher Education Council of the GAA (Comhairle Ardoideachais CLG) on Wednesday, the Secretary, Donal McAnallen, announced his resignation with immediate effect. He has also resigned from the national McNamee Awards PR Committee.

He explained that his reasons for resigning arose from both practical matters and also a sense of disillusionment with the decision by the Central Council of the GAA to agree a grants scheme with the GPA.

"I have no income at present and I'm in debt. My dedication to GAA committee work has cost me too much time, effort, stress, and my health at times also," McAnallen stated. 

"Up to now I kept involved because I got a sense of fulfilment from doing that work, as I thought the association served a greater good in Irish life, and I thought everyone was working towards the same ends.

"But since the weekend, I realised that the association is changing direction altogether. Suddenly I knew I had lost interest in doing the voluntary work if the sport ceases to be for sport's sake.

"Many GAA volunteers, including some of my fellow committee members, have made similar sacrifices. Now I wonder whether it was all worthwhile. At least I can concentrate on other things from here on."

Dónal has been involved in a variety of roles within the GAA as both a player and administrator.

As the longest-serving member of the present Comhairle Ardoideachais committee, he served for four years as Treasurer and last October was elected for a third term as secretary. During that period he acted as draftsman for three constitutional reviews for the sector, and was to the forefront of efforts to clamp down on ineligibility.

He was also heavily involved in negotiating a six-figure sponsorship deal with Ulster Bank, which will last until the centenary competitions of the Sigerson and Fitzgibbon Cups in 2011. 

Dónal was formerly editor of High Ball magazine, and has written widely on GAA history. He has had several articles published in journals and books, and has been a contributor to the Complete Handbook of Gaelic Games. As a player, he was a member of the first "Underdogs" team that played Dublin in 2003.

McAnallen also recently worked alongside Player Welfare Officer Paraic Duffy on a number of issues, including the provision of defibrillators, cardiac screening and scholarships.

He paid tribute to Duffy, the Association's incoming Ardstiúrthóir, and President Nickey Brennan. "I admire them greatly and on a personal level I am grateful for many things they have done. While I do not agree with current policy on this issue, my actions are not meant as a slight on them, and I fully support their leadership in every other respect." 

Chairman John Devaney led tributes to McAnallen at Wednesday's meeting of Comhairle Ardoideachais.

The most puzzling line for me, as I'm not sure what he's getting at, is:

Quote"I have no income at present and I'm in debt. My dedication to GAA committee work has cost me too much time, effort, stress, and my health at times also,"

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

his holiness nb

I think his point here is that it was a sacrifice he was willing to make for an organisation he loves, but now feels it has changed (due to the grants) to the stage where he doesnt think it worthwhile anymore.

Thats what I understand from it.
Ask me holy bollix

ziggysego

Quote from: his holiness nb on December 13, 2007, 08:08:11 PM
I think his point here is that it was a sacrifice he was willing to make for an organisation he loves, but now feels it has changed (due to the grants) to the stage where he doesnt think it worthwhile anymore.

Thats what I understand from it.

Exactly what I took from it too holiness.
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Perhaps...it's just the wording of "too" much that threw me.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

Quote from: ONeill on December 13, 2007, 08:03:07 PM
"Up to now I kept involved because I got a sense of fulfilment from doing that work, as I thought the association served a greater good in Irish life, and I thought everyone was working towards the same ends.

"But since the weekend, I realised that the association is changing direction altogether. Suddenly I knew I had lost interest in doing the voluntary work if the sport ceases to be for sport's sake.

Two can play at that game ONeill ;)
Testing Accessibility

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: asitis on December 13, 2007, 06:59:28 PM
when i think of you mike i see the rear end of a donkey.

Jeez, what did the donkey ever do on you?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...