Meeting of Grassroots to Discuss our Strategy re GPA

Started by Seany, November 30, 2007, 11:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tatler Jack

QuoteMark Conway is now being accused of courting the press and being an attention seeker

In fairness we all know how much the GPA avoid courting the press and their disdain for attention seeking!  :D

paddypastit

QuoteJoe Brolly mentioned an "imminent legal case" in respect of the grants and the GAA's 'amateur' code in his column in yesterday's Gaelic Life, though didn't elaborate on whether he himself was behind any impending litigation.

Had a lengthy conversation about this yesterday with one of those directly involved in the legal action.  Brolly is closely involved but is staying well back in recognition of the fact that he would become a target of opponents who would dismiss it as a publicity stunt by him.  There is an active countrywide recruitment campaign underway as the opponents are very aware that the significant volume of opposition up to now has been originating from Ulster. That in itself could be an interesting process as there is little doubt in my mind that, in general (dangerous statement this I know but here goes) those involved in the GAA in Ulster do see the world in general differently to those elsewhere in Ireland.

I have to say that I'm still uncertain either way on this whole issue but I do hold the view that if there is a groundswell it will bring down the deal as it stands.  I say so on the basis that the deal benefits, at most and stretching it, 2,000 people - many of whom were not that pushed in the first place and if it gets hot(ter) would have no appetite to be defending the case in their local town / village / club / pub.

The GPA has been created and continues to exist entirely due to the incapability and / or unwillingness of County Boards to look after their players correctly.  I say that from personal experience and direct observation.  For all the p[plaudits that Paraic Duffy got for his role as Welfare Officer, that hasn't changed.  If it did, and it wouldn't take too much imagination to do so... much of the "we need somebody..." reasoning that makes the GPA as it is today relevant is gone.  That is not to say that there shouldn't be some form of organisation to represent the interests of players, and that then raises the second interesting point which has probably been covered in the 50 odd pages that precede this one but I'll throw it in anyway - after this what is the role of the GPA and who will be at the front given that there is no new blood coming through.  (If there is why is McGeeney at the top table and I heard first hand last week that they had previously asked a 50 something retiring TD to join their executive earlier this year - and he never kicked a ball in anger in his life)

come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

DUBSFORSAM1

Paddypastit -

With regards to the GPA's next challenges I have heard that the 3 main points of focus now will be -
1 - Reversing the seeding in the Munster football championship - which they have complained about already
2 - Reversing the situation Antrim find themselves in with regards the Liam McCarthy cup
3 - Ensuring teams in the Tommy Murphy Cup get a 2nd chance in the qualifiers....

blast05

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on December 16, 2007, 11:05:38 PM
Paddypastit -

With regards to the GPA's next challenges I have heard that the 3 main points of focus now will be -
1 - Reversing the seeding in the Munster football championship - which they have complained about already
2 - Reversing the situation Antrim find themselves in with regards the Liam McCarthy cup
3 - Ensuring teams in the Tommy Murphy Cup get a 2nd chance in the qualifiers....

Sorry, but the idea of the GPA attempting to try to get changes like this pushed through is a complete joke.
We have leaders, let them lead. We have players, let them play.
I would doubt that there is a sports organisation in the world that does not have some competition structure or other that some of the competing teams are not happy about for whatever reason.
We pride ourselves on being a truely democratic organisation (albeit that that ideology has been damaged with the way the grants issue has been pushed through) but players having power to dictate competition structures among other things is simply a step too far.

DMarsden

Quote from: orangeman on December 16, 2007, 08:30:59 PM
Mark Conway is now being accused of courting the press and being an attention seeker !

Isn't he?

stephenite

Quote from: DMarsden on December 16, 2007, 11:33:41 PM
Quote from: orangeman on December 16, 2007, 08:30:59 PM
Mark Conway is now being accused of courting the press and being an attention seeker !

Isn't he?

I don't believe so, my opinion is that he's standing up for a principal he believes in, and this happens to be something the press are interested in.

To try and 'take him out' of the argument by trying to pedal this untruth is crass, belligerent and ignorant and does nothing for your own point of view

By all means try to argue your point, but resorting to these sort of tactics is just standard GPA fare these days and getting rather tiresome - does Dessie do media workshops for you people?

DMarsden

Targetting Farrell when you can't undermine his argument ring any bells stephenite?

stephenite

Quote from: DMarsden on December 16, 2007, 11:47:56 PM

Targetting Farrell when you can't undermine his argument ring any bells stephenite?

None whatsoever - I don't have to undermine his argument as I agree with some of it and have been consistent on that. He is a woeful figure head for the GPA with the media savvy of a spoon but that's a different argument altogehter

Bogball XV

Quote from: paddypastit on December 16, 2007, 10:55:39 PM
QuoteJoe Brolly mentioned an "imminent legal case" in respect of the grants and the GAA's 'amateur' code in his column in yesterday's Gaelic Life, though didn't elaborate on whether he himself was behind any impending litigation.

Had a lengthy conversation about this yesterday with one of those directly involved in the legal action.  Brolly is closely involved but is staying well back in recognition of the fact that he would become a target of opponents who would dismiss it as a publicity stunt by him.  There is an active countrywide recruitment campaign underway as the opponents are very aware that the significant volume of opposition up to now has been originating from Ulster. That in itself could be an interesting process as there is little doubt in my mind that, in general (dangerous statement this I know but here goes) those involved in the GAA in Ulster do see the world in general differently to those elsewhere in Ireland.

I have to say that I'm still uncertain either way on this whole issue but I do hold the view that if there is a groundswell it will bring down the deal as it stands.  I say so on the basis that the deal benefits, at most and stretching it, 2,000 people - many of whom were not that pushed in the first place and if it gets hot(ter) would have no appetite to be defending the case in their local town / village / club / pub.

The GPA has been created and continues to exist entirely due to the incapability and / or unwillingness of County Boards to look after their players correctly.  I say that from personal experience and direct observation.  For all the p[plaudits that Paraic Duffy got for his role as Welfare Officer, that hasn't changed.  If it did, and it wouldn't take too much imagination to do so... much of the "we need somebody..." reasoning that makes the GPA as it is today relevant is gone.  That is not to say that there shouldn't be some form of organisation to represent the interests of players, and that then raises the second interesting point which has probably been covered in the 50 odd pages that precede this one but I'll throw it in anyway - after this what is the role of the GPA and who will be at the front given that there is no new blood coming through.  (If there is why is McGeeney at the top table and I heard first hand last week that they had previously asked a 50 something retiring TD to join their executive earlier this year - and he never kicked a ball in anger in his life)

Good post paddy, some good points there.  Was the TD, Glennon?

DFS, those issues you say the GPA are going to address, why did they not address them before now?  These are issues that were important last year too, did the leadership lack the vision?  Did they just not have empathy with the Mayo hurlers/Wicklow footballers?

Real Talk

I believe the opposition to the Grants issue should be stopped.  This has the potential to become an unnecessarily divisive issue which will have NO long term benefit to the GAA.  It has originated from an essentially Ulster says NO mindset and we all know some examples for that:  
Paisley says 'No to truck with the 'Road to Rome and C Haughey',  SF says no to 'Stormont and Policing' and politically where are we now????  
I don't think any part of the GAA has any intention of EVER agreeing to Pay for Play and that is the bottom line, and from a positive point of view, whether intentional or not the GPA and the 'Against the Grants pressure group' has consolidated that.  The Government will be delighted to know that there is opposition to the Grants so that they will after this year 'drop it like a hot brick'.  There are many elements within the GAA getting paid at different levels and this has been the situation for many years.  Being a volunteer is very much a 'voluntary' decision, and I am one of those people but I also believe that each year there are fewer people WILLING to give of there energy and time for 'free'.  However, I don't think that an internal revolution will change  that fact.  Our Association is very strong but it is still capable of imploding and how are Sporting and Political enemies would love to see that.  It is a time for COOL and WISE heads to take control of the situation and look at the BIG picture.  I think Enda Gormly's analysis was not far away and I also know that Mark Conway would certainly not want to see a 'fragmented' GAA.

Puckoon

Stolen from CES at the naomhgall website.

In days of olde in Ireland when life was harsh opponents of authority were forced to meet in backwoods and barns in the dead of night and spoke in whispers lest unseen ears might bear witness to their revolutionary intent. Times were hard and the evil authorities meted out such unimaginable cruelties to those who dared be a dissenter that generations have carried the scars. But times change and the backwoods and barns aren't used any more; indeed the smell of laundered diesel wafting from most country barns now would near be enough to kill a cow. So in today's materialistic world holed up in a penthouse suite of a top Dublin hotel for the past three months the hierarchy of the GPA have been meticulously planning their assault on the GAA authority and foot soldiers. "Here Dessie, that's room service. What do you want for lunch?" "I'll begin with the prawn cocktail, no, actually make that the smoked salmon, then roast sirloin of beef and, ah, I know I shouldn't but a bit of black forest gateaux to finish it off. Oh and the usual tea and coffee all round." "Sure no one drinks it." "Get it anyway. And Donal og get the drinks cabinet refilled." But what about the nutritionist Dessie?" "Bollocks to the nutritionist! Who's going to know and anyway sure can't we always find an excuse?" "But shouldn't we be acting as role models for the kids?" "Donal og what in the name of Jaysus is wrong with you? Sure aren't we showing the kids of Ireland how to squeeze for that extra buck?" "Euro". "What?" "It's euro Dessie". "For feck sake Donal og what's wrong with ye?" "Sorry Dessie I had been watching dvds of old matches yesterday but I'll shake it off." "Good man Donal og, we don't want to be showing any signs of weakness now. Anyway we better get these couple of issues dealt with. Kieran, Enda, turn that body building dvd off and come on over here". "Right Dessie, what's on the agenda? Here this is like a real meeting". "Now Kieran don't be thinking like that or the next thing you'll know you'll be out a few times a week without any personal benefit. Ever see the stress some of those real committee guys come under? And the abuse they get? Not for me, no thank you. That's for mugs. Anyway boys we have to sort out these journalists, ex-player pundits, all those website contributors and that troublesome crowd up north. Those bastards are always causing trouble for us down here in the Republic". "Now Dessie". "Sorry Enda forgot there but sure you know what I mean". "So what's the plan of attack Dessie?" "Well Kieran that's exactly the word, we'll attack those bastards with all we have. Enda you kick it off with that Paddy Heaney and Donal og get stuck into that fairy Brolly. Never liked him anyway, blowing kisses to the crowd when he scored. In fact it wouldn't do any harm if he got a threatening phone call. It's time to get nasty lads so don't hold back. As for the websites we'll work in relays using different names so it'll look like there's more of us. We'll keep bombarding the boards and get the rest of the lads to do the same. What about Kevin McGourty in Antrim?" "Dessie he's alright for talking most of the time but sure he can't spell". "Ok". "So what about that rump of malcontents up north Dessie?" "Brilliant Enda, that's what we'll call them but even better we'll call them a small rump and describe them like dissident republicans refusing to move with the times. Sure no one down here will want to know them. Right lads this meeting has been going on ten minutes, time to wrap it up. Everyone know what we have to do?" "Sure", "Aye", "What about that Jarleth Burns, who's tackling him?" "We'll just leave him for now Donal og, he's a wee bit big, We'll sort them other feckers out first". "No problem Dessie". "Right lads where's that fecking lunch? Phone the manager and tell him not to mess with us". 

Aghdavoyle

Jaysus, whatever your viewpoint in this argument, that's shite.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Bogball XV on December 17, 2007, 12:05:12 AM
Quote from: paddypastit on December 16, 2007, 10:55:39 PM

Good post paddy, some good points there.  Was the TD, Glennon?

DFS, those issues you say the GPA are going to address, why did they not address them before now?  These are issues that were important last year too, did the leadership lack the vision?  Did they just not have empathy with the Mayo hurlers/Wicklow footballers?

Bogball - They have already complained about the decision to seed the Munster Championship a number of months ago....and have been in discussions about changing the rules for Antrim hurlers already....

orangeman

Just reading on the RTE website, Colm Bradley, Fermanagh senior footballer had a motion put to Fermanagh AGM last night urging all counties to debate the grants issue thoroughly. The story is set to run for another while it seems.

orangeman

That's the GPA supporters creating a smokescreen again !!!!  :D ;D