Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: DMarsden on December 16, 2007, 12:36:07 PM

Yes, everyone is equal but some are more equal than others

GPA members been a very god example

Bogball XV

Quote from: DMarsden on December 16, 2007, 12:36:07 PM

Yes, everyone is equal but some are more equal than others
Which version of Animal Farm is that from ;)

Rossfan

In a mirror image of Republican politics -every one is out of step except the purist dissidents who cannot allow the evil vast majority to triumph.A rearguard action like the tactics of the past presidents in trying to stop the membership discussing/voting on Rule 42.

I wouldnt mind but pure amateurism is a Victorian English "Gentlemans" concept  ;D devised to keep the riff raff at work in the mines,mills etc and not have them wasting productivity time by engaging in leasure pursuits.
That was reserved for "gentlemen"
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 16, 2007, 12:32:23 PM
It's sad you feel the need to continuously attack someone who's done so much for the GAA.

You mean the way you attack other people who have done so much for the GAA but you don't agree with????

pintsofguinness

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on December 16, 2007, 04:28:54 PM
It's sad you feel the need to continuously attack someone who's done so much for the GAA.

You mean the way you attack other people who have done so much for the GAA but you don't agree with????

Who have I attacked?
Greedy county players?  Well excuse me for criticising those who bullied and blackmailed the GAA. 

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: pintsofguinness on December 16, 2007, 04:31:06 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on December 16, 2007, 04:28:54 PM

Who have I attacked?
Greedy county players?  Well excuse me for criticising those who bullied and blackmailed the GAA. 

Dessie Farrell doesn't get anything from the grants and has given most of his life to the GAA etc.....people like Liam Griffen etc who support the grants and have given their life to teh GAA as much as Mark Conway or anyone like that.....people who haven't fought this issue for the last 5 years htat everyone has known about it...

Bogball XV

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on December 16, 2007, 05:17:06 PMDessie Farrell doesn't get anything from the grants and has given most of his life to the GAA etc.....people like Liam Griffen etc who support the grants and have given their life to teh GAA as much as Mark Conway or anyone like that.....people who haven't fought this issue for the last 5 years htat everyone has known about it...
Would Dessie be working in a very high profile national job if it weren't for his committment to the GAA?  Would he be paid a salary verging on 6 figures if it weren't for his committment to the GAA?  Would he have the dubious honour of having the ear of the taoiseach?  Would he have written and published his life story if it weren't for his committment to the GAA?

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: Bogball XV on December 16, 2007, 05:41:09 PM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on December 16, 2007, 05:17:06 PMDessie Farrell doesn't get anything from the grants and has given most of his life to the GAA etc.....people like Liam Griffen etc who support the grants and have given their life to teh GAA as much as Mark Conway or anyone like that.....people who haven't fought this issue for the last 5 years htat everyone has known about it...
Would Dessie be working in a very high profile national job if it weren't for his committment to the GAA?  Would he be paid a salary verging on 6 figures if it weren't for his committment to the GAA?  Would he have the dubious honour of having the ear of the taoiseach?  Would he have written and published his life story if it weren't for his committment to the GAA?

so what...big deal...get over it. Come the new season and in the committees I'll continue to volunteer...not a bother. I think I'm bright enogh to realise our club wont fall on some dick head grant from the government. Were much bigger and stronger than that.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on December 16, 2007, 05:59:45 PM

so what...big deal...get over it. Come the new season and in the committees I'll continue to volunteer...not a bother. I think I'm bright enogh to realise our club wont fall on some dick head grant from the government. Were much bigger and stronger than that.
That's great Max, delighted to hear it, now, what does that have to do with my questions for DFS??

Edit - I understand now, you posted on the wrong thread.

DUBSFORSAM1

Would county administrators be getting paid if it wasn't for teh GAA, would coaches/trainers/managers be getting paid but for the GAA, would students be getting grants if not for teh GAA???

Bogball XV

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on December 16, 2007, 07:07:42 PM

Would county administrators be getting paid if it wasn't for teh GAA, would coaches/trainers/managers be getting paid but for the GAA, would students be getting grants if not for teh GAA???
No, they wouldn't, but you or I didn't say "(Insert name of county administrator)... doesn't get anything from the grants and has given most of his life to the GAA", you did say that about Farrell, I was just pointing out that Farrell has got a damned good return from his GAA committment, whereas to my eyes, your original comment inferred that Dessie had sacrificed his life for the GAA and got nothing in return.

orangeman

I love the way the GPA supporters launch an attack on those who don't support pay for play -  Mark Conway is now being accused of courting the press and being an attention seeker ! A smokescreen or what !  :D :D ;D ;D

quidnunc

This Dessie Farrell who gave his life to the GAA for no reward...

Is he the same Dessie Farrell who was on a 3-man interview panel for the GPA Chief Executive job, along with Donal O'Neill and Frank McNamee, about 5 or 6 years ago, and gave the job to a certain Dessie Farrell?

Yes, indeed - various people were interviewed, before Dessie decided that Dessie was the best man for the job.

What a selfless act that was.

The Mayo panel immediately issued a press release congratulating him on his generosity.

orangeman

:D :D :D That's a great way of getting a job  !! By the way, is he actually paid by the GPA ? I don't want to know how much - but is Dessie paid ? Is it a full time post - I'm sure he has a lot of press statements to issue at the minute ON BEHLAF OF COUNTY PANELS ETC ?  ;D ;D and Conor Mortimer ( sorry I forgot about him there for a minute ! )

Star Spangler

Quote from: Bogball XV on December 16, 2007, 11:50:52 AM

QuoteBy John O'Brien
Sunday December 16 2007

Hopes that the thorny issue of player grants had been settled after last week's hastily agreed compromise by Central Council have receded, with the news that the decision to approve the payments in principle is to be challenged at the GAA's Disputes Resolution Authority.

The case is being taken by a group of grassroots' dissidents, including Tyrone man Mark Conway, Longford businessman Joe O'Brien and Donal McAnallen, brother of late Tyrone captain, Cormac.

According to the group, the payments are in contravention of the GAA's Rule 11 which governs the Association's amateur status. Nor, they contend, did Central Council have the authority to make a decision which they claim impacts on the GAA's official guide.

"The only body that can make an alteration to Rule 11 or any rule is Congress," Conway said yesterday.

For the GAA, and president Nickey Brennan in particular, it is a worrying development. Although details on how the funds would be disbursed were sketchy following last week's meeting, it was agreed that county boards would not be part of the process and it was this concession that shepherded the controversial scheme through a stormy session and averted the threat of a players' strike.

The GAA has claimed all along that as the money is not coming from them it doesn't impinge on Rule 11, and at the end of last week's meeting it was proposed that an amendment be added to the agreement saying that all parties involved "state their absolute commitment to the maintenance of the amateur status".

For their opponents, however, such words ring hollow. In their submission to the DRA, which they filed through Omagh solicitor Paddy Fahy on Thursday, the group cited Mark Vaughan's appeal against suspension by the Leinster Council in 2005. In its decision in Vaughan's favour the DRA stated: "The tribunal is bound to interpret the rules as they are, not as it might wish them to be, and to do otherwise would be an abdication of our obligation as an arbitral tribunal of law."

The group believes that just because the various parties reaffirmed their commitment to the amateur status that does not bind it in fact.

"As far as we're concerned it's a spurious comment," said Conway. "It's like Albert Pierrepoint putting a noose around someone's neck and saying: 'By hanging this person I am reaffirming my belief in the sanctity of life.' We might say it, we might put it on paper -- but people don't believe it. It doesn't stack up."

At the very least the case reflects the robustness of the opposition that exists towards the principle of GAA players receiving grants in any shape or form. Two weeks ago a crowd of 400 voiced their opposition at a meeting in Toome, Co Antrim, and a second meeting will take place at the Cavan Crystal Hotel on Wednesday evening. Though opposition remains centred in the north, a website established as a rallying point for dissenters has attracted 550 emails.

Last week, Conway resigned his positions with Club Tyrone and the GAA's National Audit Committee in protest at the grants and he was subsequently joined by McAnallen, who quit as secretary of the Higher Education Council, citing his disillusionment at the direction the Association was taking.

The case will be a landmark one. The DRA was established in 2005 largely to curb the growing trend of players seeking redress against suspension in the High Court -- and for a body of the Association, Central Council, to be taken to task on an issue relating to one of its own rules is an unprecedented development. Whether the DRA even has the jurisdiction to hear the case may be the first question to be decided on.

The group are hopeful the case will proceed and a decision will be made within seven days.

Concerns have been raised at several county conventions and they expect at least one motion to be brought to Congress in Sligo next April. "We'll take this as far as we can take it," said Conway. "This isn't going to go away."

- John O'Brien
http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/grant-rebels-take-on-gaa-1248638.html

It's interesting they have Pat Fahy as their solicitor.  He has some record for winning cases and is probably one of the best defence solicitors in Ulster.