Laptops

Started by holylandsniper, December 07, 2006, 03:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Agreed, get as much memory as you can. However unless you are getting the 64 bit version of Vista, there is no point in getting more than 4GB are Vista 32 bit cannot use it.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Bud Wiser

The GPA are advertising a Toshiba L300 on their website  for 399.00 euro.  However, they do not say if that price includews vat or not.

http://www.gaelicplayersshop.com/
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Bud Wiser

They also have a jobs page on which they not alone give the jobs description but also the mobile phone numbers and names and email addresses of the actual companies advertising the jobs, owners of companies who as Pat Short would say, could get themselves locked up fairly lively, if they are seen to advertise employment and restrict it to GPA members,or people of any different race, colour, creed, age or disability.   I answered one today and I was asked was I a member of an intercountry football team and when I said I was a retired failed hurler the lad told me I was to wait for a few days because the person that had the job was in India. Still, I'd say that if I scored five goals in last years All Ireland Football Final I would still have not got an interview other than was I a member or did I want to have my balls squeezed until I became one.

I think the lad thought I was a shit stirrer or a messer. ? ! ?  :o
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

WaterBoy

Quote from: haranguerer on July 07, 2009, 01:35:59 PM
Anyone know any good deals about at the min? Need to get a laptop for general use, planning on spending up to £500.

Saw this on hotukdeals.com, looks like a pretty good deal, although if you have 500 dabs to spend you could probably get one with a higher spec if you wanted

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/ho/WF06b/321957-321957-3329742-89318-89318-3837670-3885078.html?jumpid=in_r2515_uk/en/hho/psg/fps-CQ60-214EM_featuredsearch-ba-st-pu-/chev-hpstore/20090529

enter promo code  'HPSHARE' for 10% discount

comes to £324 after discount
Mama says that foos-ball is the devil

haranguerer

Cheers lads, all helpful!if I can get away with spending less, I will, that does look a gd deal waterboy.

Bud Wiser

Well before you go off spending remember that a laptop is only as good as its battery if you are using it on the move and there are different batteries, different voltages with different amps so the difference between getting on a plane in Dublin and the battery running out over Howth is a factor.  Look for a minimum three hours operation, the new type battery is out there now and some are flogging off the old type with cheap computers.

(bet that frigs up your day and puts you back thinking)

haranguerer

Does indeed, thats a whole other limiting factor, very tempting to ignore it!

Cheers tho Bud, its something else to think about

pintsofguinness

I'm after a laptop myself - mine has stopped picking up any usb devices (well it'll pick up some after about 10 restarts). 

Now it's four year old and I can have no complaints but thing is it's insured (for everything) for 5 years.  Now does anyone know if it was to take a nasty spill of the end of the table or if I left it somewhere what I'd get of the insurance?  I'd imagine f**k all?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

tyssam5

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 10, 2009, 08:10:32 PM
I'm after a laptop myself - mine has stopped picking up any usb devices (well it'll pick up some after about 10 restarts). 

Now it's four year old and I can have no complaints but thing is it's insured (for everything) for 5 years.  Now does anyone know if it was to take a nasty spill of the end of the table or if I left it somewhere what I'd get of the insurance?  I'd imagine f**k all?

I have the same issue on one machine. Anyone know what that's about?

ONeill

Apart from online, where's the best place to purchase a laptop in person, in Belfast?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Archie Mitchell

Curry's in the City centre usually have some good deals. There also is a laptop shop in Victoria Square.

ardmhachaabu

I'd try Curry's - you are better placed to get a better deal all round from them
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

aontroim

Looking for a new laptop fairly soon and have been looking at a few different options.  Will be used for quite a range of things but mainly photo editing / graphics manipulation, internet (wifi), downloading music/movies.

Really dont want |Vista but it seems to be bundled with all new laptops now but can easily re-install XP if Vista proves troublesome - i see a few free upgrades offered for Windows 7 - any early reviews on how thats going to perform?

What i am looking for is;

4GB RAM (Min)
300GB+ HDD (pref 7200rpm)
Core 2 Duo 2GHz+
Dedicated Video Card
Good wifi card (eg newer Intel N-series)
Decent battery life (4hrs+)
Bluetooth
CD/DVD RW (open to BluRay option also)
15" screen min (widescreen / good resolution needed)

Dont care about bundled software tbh - i already have most of what i need to use on it.

I know there are some poor opinions on Dell but i have used one for about 4 yrs (Inspiron 6000) but it was never really tested for much apart from internet / office / music etc.  Built this one online with Dell - anyone any experience with these models??  Or any alternatives with a similar spec??

STUDIO 15 (N0053504)    
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T6500 (2.1GHz, 800MHz, 2MB), Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1 (64 BIT) - English   
Windows 7 Upgrade Eligible - Expires 30 December 2009                

Save £264 (Inc Vat) until 12/08/2009
Expires 12 August 2009                 
             - £264.00

Catalog Number:     202 N0053504

Base    Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T6500 (2.1GHz, 800MHz, 2MB)
Microsoft Operating System - Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1 (64 BIT) - English
Memory - 4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x2048]
Keyboard - Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard
Video Card - 512MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4570
Hard Drive - 320GB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
Optical Devices - Fixed Internal DVD+/-RW Slot Load Drive including Software
Wireless Networking - Intel WiFi Link 5300 Half Mini Card (802.11 a/g/n) (Centrino)
Cables - 1 Meter Power Cord (3 Wire) - UK
Shipping Documents - English - Documentation Studio 1545
Gedis Bundle Reference - N0853504
Standard Warranty - 1Yr Limited Warranty - Collect & Return
Enhanced Service Packs - 1 Year Limited Warranty - Collect & Return
PalmRest - Silver chainlink palm rest – with Black Chainlink cover only
Bluetooth - Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Module - European
Order Information - Studio 1555 Order - UK
Primary Battery - Primary 9-cell 85 WHr Lithium Ion battery
Carrying Cases - No Carrying Case
Dell System Media Kit  -Studio 1555 Resource DVD (Diagnostic & Drivers)
Camera - 2.0 Mega pixel Integrated Web Camera
Colour Choice - Black chainlink
Accidental Damage Support - No Accidental Damage Support
Online Backup - DataSafe Online Backup 2GB 1 year
Labels - Wireless Label (Intel Wireless Cards) - Core 2 Duo
LCD - 15.6in Widescreen High Definition (1366x768) WLED with TrueLife
DataSafe (Services Owned)    - Datasafe Local 2.0 Basic
Microsoft Application Software - Microsoft® Works 9.0 / English - (Does not include Microsoft® Word)
Protect your new PC - McAfee® Security Centre - 24 Month Protection - English
Power Supply - 90W AC Adaptor

TOTAL   Incl. VAT:£696.38

The only thing i would prob upgrade is the processor - up to the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.40Ghz, 3MB, 1066MHz)

Archie Mitchell

Have you tried looking at www.ebuyer.com

Some good deals on there. Got an email from them the other day with a great offer for a laptop, though it has no OS with it but that would be easy enough to get hold off and you'll not be tied with Vista. It's 5th one down on the link below.

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sort=pricelow&store=5&cat=10&limit=50&page=1